4.2 or SSM Power Pack?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
4.2 or SSM Power Pack?!

I'm so noob and clueless when it comes to this. After I sell my s/c i'd probably go with one of these. I was going over some stickies around but still didn't get the point. Which one would be better and more reliable? I was thinking of getting SSM power pack because I'm sure it's complete and I don't have to look around for addition parts...and it puts down decent numbers. On the other side I can go to the junk yard and find 4.2 for really cheap, but the point is I will never know it is complete and what is needed. I would also need to see some pictures of both set-ups. So if you know anything about this please help me out to choose the right one!
SerbStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Re: 4.2 or SSM Power Pack?!

buy a 4.2 crank and the super six and have both
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
buy a 4.2 crank and the super six and have both

So it's possible to get both together? So I can just go find a cheap 4.2, and put it together with this SSM pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Road Trip!

i just know you can throw a 4.2 crank in your motor and increase the stroke
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbStang View Post
So it's possible to get both together? So I can just go find a cheap 4.2, and put it together with this SSM pack?
If you buy the 4.2 crank with the power pack it will turn your motor into a 4.2....the 4.2 is not a different motor. It is just a stroked out 3.8.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
If you buy the 4.2 crank with the power pack it will turn your motor into a 4.2....the 4.2 is not a different motor. It is just a stroked out 3.8.

Thats sounds good! And i dont think the 4.2 crank shoud cost a lot, so I might end up getting both! Thanks guys!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Road Trip!

thats what i thought, i was having a brain fart and wasnt sure if they were boring it to get 4.2L
Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Try here for the crank part # 4L3Z6303AA
Ford Genuine Parts Online

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Try here for the crank part # 4L3Z6303AA
Ford Genuine Parts Online

Yeah I found simmilar site that sells the same kit for like $150...that sounds nice. So if I get this crankshaft, the only thing I'll have to do is just install it and that's all, or there's something else?

P.S. Sorry for dumb questions!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Road Trip!

thats it, install it and itll be a 4.2L then do the ssm power pack and itll make some good numbers
Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange View Post
thats it, install it and itll be a 4.2L then do the ssm power pack and itll make some good numbers
Nice! I'm doing it as soon as I sell the s/c. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

P.S. Sorry for dumb questions

That how we all learned !! Question are a good thing

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #13

Region: Iowa

No you cannot just "install" a crank. The 4.2 crank is neutral balanced, so you'll also have to get a neutral balance flywheel/flex plate and harmonic balancer. Also, the pistons in a 4.2 are shorter (1.263" compression height compared to 1.440" of the 3.8) so you'll also need 4.2 pistons. Also, since it's a new crank, you'll want to get the block line honed with new bearings all around, you can reuse the rods, or some forged rods are an option as well. You'll also want new piston rings, and since the block is apart, you could have the block bored .030 over, get .030 over pistons, and .030 over rings. This would give a little bump in power, and also insures the cylinder walls are fresh and true.
-Thomas
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
No you cannot just "install" a crank. The 4.2 crank is neutral balanced, so you'll also have to get a neutral balance flywheel/flex plate and harmonic balancer. Also, the pistons in a 4.2 are shorter (1.263" compression height compared to 1.440" of the 3.8) so you'll also need 4.2 pistons. Also, since it's a new crank, you'll want to get the block line honed with new bearings all around, you can reuse the rods, or some forged rods are an option as well. You'll also want new piston rings, and since the block is apart, you could have the block bored .030 over, get .030 over pistons, and .030 over rings. This would give a little bump in power, and also insures the cylinder walls are fresh and true.
-Thomas

Wow man you got me thinking now 2:Everybody said just get it an install it and I'll be fine, and now you came up with the whole new and different claims. I'll wait what somebody else (more experienced than me) has to say about your advice. Thanks anyway, even tho you confused me even more!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #15

Region: Iowa

Okay, wait for someone else to tell you you can "throw a crank in" an engine... Seriously, listen to my advise. If you don't understand it, consult a local professional engine builder, and he will give you the same advice. In order to balance the 4.2 crank correctly you'll need the associated flywheel/flex plate and balancer. As well as the correct length pistons. But you can just "throw" these things inside of an engine block. They must be installed within precise tolerances.

Go to v6power.net and ask this question, you will get much more in depth answers to your questions, and they will NOT be wrong. Trust me on this.

-Thomas
Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbStang View Post
Wow man you got me thinking now 2:Everybody said just get it an install it and I'll be fine, and now you came up with the whole new and different claims. I'll wait what somebody else (more experienced than me) has to say about your advice. Thanks anyway, even tho you confused me even more!
Like I Said, buy the crank WITH the power pack and be done with it. Call up Super Six or whomever you are looking to buy from and they will give you all the parts in the pack for the crank you are getting. The key word in my post was WITH
Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

And just to clarify...this is what you ALSO need to be looking at:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...dInternals.pdf

Then point of everyone saying just get the crank was that you were talking about "buying a 4.2L motor". The point was that the 4.2L is just a stroked out 3.8. The crank, rods (if needed), and pistons make the motor a 4.2L....SSM has the rotating assembles. Buy the 4.2L rotating assemby = you have a 4.2L motor without finding another motor. It's the crank that increases the stroke...therefore it was just generically stated "get the 4.2L crank".
Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok, got it now!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I made the mistake of assuming the power pack came with the rotating assembly...I don't have a V6 so I am not up on what the power packs are...so, I looked and there you have it. Get the rotating assembly and worry about the power pack later...and boom, you have a 4.2.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I made the mistake of assuming the power pack came with the rotating assembly...I don't have a V6 so I am not up on what the power packs are...so, I looked and there you have it. Get the rotating assembly and worry about the power pack later...and boom, you have a 4.2.
Yeah I see now. But the way my budget is, I think I'll just go with power pack and call it a day! Maybe later look for 4.2 at the junk yards. Offcourse all these after I sell my Vortech!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Who makes the 4.2? That's the question you have to ask yourself. I don't think there is a ford 4.2...which means installing one would cost you more than the $1500 for the rotating assembly. But, again, I'm not up on 6's, so I could be wrong on ford not making a 4.2L
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who makes the 4.2? That's the question you have to ask yourself. I don't think there is a ford 4.2...which means installing one would cost you more than the $1500 for the rotating assembly. But, again, I'm not up on 6's, so I could be wrong on ford not making a 4.2L
I'll just go to v6power like the guy above said and ask, they must know! Thanks tho!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
It's a F-150 crank.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It's a F-150 crank.
Ah, so he would be going to the junk yard looking for a crank...I thought he was talking about looking for a complete motor.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah, so he would be going to the junk yard looking for a crank...I thought he was talking about looking for a complete motor.
Yes all I want is a 4.2 crankshaft from F150, not the whole motor! I heard all I would need was the actual crankshaft and the bearing kit which can be found here: Ford Genuine Parts Online Part # 4L3Z6303AA
So I thought this crankshaft (wich is not very expensive) together with SSM power pack, would give better results than the pack alone!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So what do you guys think, could I just go with the 4.2 crankshaft, or I'll still need all the parts mentioned before?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The crank is going to change your stroke a good bit, so you are going to need the rotating assembly to go with the crank or else you are risking pushing your pistons into your valves...which would be a bad thing. However, I will let someone else more familiar with the concept chime in with details as to the rod length differences between stock and 4.2L cranks.

If the rods are the same size, and the cranks are the same diameters (Stock vs 4.2L truck), and the piston height doesn't stick up any more between the 4.2 kit and the stock, then you should be able to just swap the crank.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

Serb, you have a 2001 V6 correct? If so check the manufacture date on the inside of your door jam, you're engine might already be neutrally balanced. All late 2001 V6's came this way, Ford changed this mid 2001. So it might save you some money. But anyways, to stroke your engine to a 4.2, you will definately need a 4.2L crank and connecting rods and pistons at a minimum. If you're manufacture date on your door jam is oct 2000 till about march 2001, you need a new oil pan and flywheel and harmonic balancer as well. If your date is april something 2001. Now don't think this will increase your horsepower considerably. You'll gain maybe 5-10 horsepower, but your torque will go up alot. I saw about 50 more rwtq but i also installed heads and headers when i stroked my engine as well and tuned the computer myself. If you have any more questions, ask away.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion View Post
Serb, you have a 2001 V6 correct? If so check the manufacture date on the inside of your door jam, you're engine might already be neutrally balanced. All late 2001 V6's came this way, Ford changed this mid 2001. So it might save you some money. But anyways, to stroke your engine to a 4.2, you will definately need a 4.2L crank and connecting rods and pistons at a minimum. If you're manufacture date on your door jam is oct 2000 till about march 2001, you need a new oil pan and flywheel and harmonic balancer as well. If your date is april something 2001. Now don't think this will increase your horsepower considerably. You'll gain maybe 5-10 horsepower, but your torque will go up alot. I saw about 50 more rwtq but i also installed heads and headers when i stroked my engine as well and tuned the computer myself. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Thanks for the help man. However, i decided not to go 4.2. Once I sell my Vortech I will save some more and have maybe around $3000 to put in the car. I'll go either all show or all go, not sure yet. I wanted some advice first.

Show:
1. cowl hood
2. cobra bumper
3. cobra shaved rear bumper
4. cobra side scoops
5. side skirts
6. rims
7. seats
8. if anything's left put in "go" mods

Go:
1. P&P uper and lower intakes
2. P&P heads
3. cam
4. pullies with the belt
5. VAP spacer (need more info about it tho)
6. suspension
7. tuner & dynotune
8. anything left in "show" mods
Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

The cars already clean and good looking put the money into the go section.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang