Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #1

Exhaust Question

Okay my 03 V6 is bone stock and i'm wanting to put an exhaust on it. Heres what i'm wanting and just wondering if you all will think it will sound good.
Mac Long Tube Headers
Mac O/R H Pipe
Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers
and 2.5" tips about 16 inches long

also about what will this all cost..including installation
trueblue03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
first, Welcome, 2nd, do you have emission test where you are at? some of the people on here have the long tubes, O/R pipes, and flows so they would be the best as to telling you how it sounds, Me personally I don't like flowmasters but thats just me.
and just for parts your looking close to about $800, I ahve no clue as to installation.

heres something written by another member.....

It alldepends what you want in sound
Do you want to wake the dead
Have people put their windows up at stop lights
Piss neighbors at 1 AM
have a nice agressive growl
Be a sleeper and let no one know you are coming

Any performance muffler will sound better than stock. I had a great article up on the types of mufflers but with no spin. But it seems to be gone But I will hijack it from another forum. I have Dynomax Ultraflows and they also sound good. but the best thing for you to do is find what is best for you.

There is so much confusion on what mufflers people shoud get I thought I would discuss the different types of Mufflers and brands to look at.
The type of muffler determines the sound and performance you get. The brand is more for sound.

There are a few catagories of mufflers to choose from

Glass Packs: these are common among some of the older crowd they are like cherry bombs and they are very loud

Turbo mufflers; These are common amongest the general public they are made by many companies and are usually inexpensive and are offered at any muffler shop The best in this catagory is Dynomax Turbo Mufflers They have a nice overall sound.

Flow thru mufflers: These these are mufflers like Glass packs and that exhaust flows straight thru the muffler for less restriction and are mellower then glass Packs but have a great overall sound and really light up when punching the gas pedal. Dynomax Ultraflows, Magnaflow and Borla are in this group. these are all great mufflers but the borla can be pricey. None of these mufflers (Drone) at highway speeds.

Dynomax Ultraflows: they come in welded or stainless. they have a great sound I have them.

Magnaflows:I would also recommend they have a great sound

Borla: I would only use Borla's if I had performance heads and cam they are great on V8's but unless you got great mods they tend to get ricy at high RPM but they are a great quality but at a high price.

Chambered, Baffled, walled or deflecting mufflers: These are mufflers that have a maze of walls built in them to redirect exhaust gasses thru the mufflers to generate some backpressure but mostly to manipulate the sound giving you a deeper tone. Some of these are quite loud inside the car. The low exhaust pulse traveling thru these chambers or diverging walls will actually cause a druming effect giving you a (Droning) sound that penetrates the floor of the car and can make your driving on the interstate unpleasurable. there are a few mufflers in this catagory.

Flowmaster: unquestionably the most popular in the US. They have several series the most popular being 40 2 chamber, 40 3 chamber and 50's. Of all the mufflers 40's are the most popular and the loudest they are the Drone standard for all mufflers. The drone is especially bad in 94-98 mustangs. People either love them or hate them.
40's 3 chamber have somewhat less drone but not by much. 50's are quieter but are more expensive but have a good overall sound.

MAC Flowpath: they do not drone and is my favorite in this group. I would highly recommend them and they have a great overall sound.

Spintech: is another good sounding muffler in this group they also offer a nice side exhaust system but it to can be pricey.

These mufflers are what 90% of the people on this and most 3.8
forums have. There are others but they are less popular.

I hope this helps

Corey(Danger Dude)

BTW Im not Corey
Old 03-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #3

Well first off I'm not really new here. I've been reading the forums for months but just too lazy to get a login. But thanks anyway. 2nd our state (ohio) doesn't require an emissions test so i can go w/ the o/r h-pipe. I've heard an exhaust setup very similiar if not the exact same on another site..here it is. http://www.3.8mustang.com/Media/Noncat%20Exhaust.wav

not sure if that'll even work..but i like the sound..i'm gonna try and get a job down at the dealership this summer so maybe that can even save me some money but i seriously doubt it.
here is what i was thinking on prices
$160 for the mufflers
$170 for the h-pipe
$80 for the tips
and $270 for the headers
is there anything else i'd need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #4

Oh I forgot that your were talking of the o/r H the catted on is about $400, anyway, someone makes, flowtubes I think by Mac, but they are used to bolt up to the h pipe, then the mufflers are welded to it. I don't know if you can have some fabbed up or not. You could order hangers or could have some made. other than that I can't think of anything
Old 03-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

yeah..i'd forgot about that
what do you think that'll cost to have installed?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #6

hard to say, I think the install on the headers is what will cost you the most. Call up a few places around you and they should be able to give you a quote.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #7

yea..I'll do that when I atleast start getting some cash aha..still in school but plan on getting a job for the summer.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:28 AM   #8

Anyone else have any thoughts on what I should do. I want a deep sounding exhaust
Old 04-06-2004, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ok i dont know what was said cause some of those posts were too long and i was too lazy to read. but the long tubes are a waste of money. the factory headers flow well enough to support 300hp. getting the long tubes will do nothing for your performance and will only make you fail emissions testing. the same thing goes for the o/r H pipe.

i loved my flowmasters that i had on my car. i recently got them removed for a set of warlock mufflers. the shop put on glassspacks as a temp setup till my warlocks came in and the glasspacks sound like total crap. dont get glasspacks.

i would recommend getting 3" SS tips. the 3" tips look better IMO and the 18" length is a good length to go for.

http://www.mizzoustud.com/pics/conc.png
Concordium is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust