When modding a car from the start: (order of mods list for best results!!!) - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #141
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: When modding a car from the start: (order of mods list for best results!!!)

Why do you need to know your estimated HP/TQ? And what importance would that information provide you? All that would be doing is taking a wild guess and what you might be putting down. It doesn't actually measure anything. Hell, you could post up your mods on here and we would be able to make at least as accurate a guess as the live wire...if not more so.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

i dont even know what hp/trq i have. i know they come stock w/190hp/220trq but thats about it. i dont know how much i gained w the cold air intake but my guess is 5hp. my goal is 300hp/300trq. i do know im runing 15's@95mph 1/4mile.
MistaG84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #143

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
Stage 1
  1. Dual Exhaust (2.25" for Naturally Aspirated Cars and 2.5" for Blown Cars and some big NA strokers)
  2. Rear End Gears & Traction-Lok (3.73 for Manual & 4.10 for Automatic)
  3. Cold Air Intake
  4. Underdrive Pullies
  5. Short Throw Shifter (5-Speed) or Shift Kit (Automatic)
Stage 2
  1. Torque Converter (Automatics)
  2. Suspension Upgrade (Lowering Springs, Shocks & Struts, Rear Sway Bar and Strut Tower Brace).
  3. Throttle Body (94-98) with crossover tube matching.
  4. Custom Burned Chip, but most do not need this until Stage 3.
Stage 3
  1. Ported and Polished Upper Intake, Lower Intake & Heads
  2. Custom Ground Camshaft
  3. Pushrods and Springs
  4. Ignition System (Only needed if Forced Induction or Nitrous is used)
  5. Fuel System Upgrades (190/255 lph fuel pump, bigger injectors & adjustable fuel pressure regulator)
  6. Custom Chip necessary at this level for max power! Usually worth at least 10-15 RWHP and mucho low end torque.
Stage 4
  1. Built 3.8 or 4.2L Engine (big bore best )
  2. Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous
  3. Forged Internals (sic) Forged rods and pistons are a good idea.
  4. MAF (all years) and TB (99^) stock MAF is adequate before this.
And now a comment on how mods work together, from an old post
I made a while back.

What ever the last major mod is will
seem like the missing link... That means that if you do all but the cam, then
decide to do the cam, it will seem like the cam added the most HP. But a cam
alone is good for maybe 15 HP on unported heads/intakes, (not SPI though!)
but it would add maybe 25-30 if changed last. All the mods work together...
the stock cam will hold back the porting and unported heads/intakes will limit
the HP produced by a cam swap. (SPI is a great candidate for unported heads
and new cam, the stock head flow is awesome!)

It is well worth it to change the cam! Also easier to do when you have the
heads off there, as most of the junk that you remove for a cam swap is
removed when you take off the heads. But you can change a cam with the
heads on, and the engine stays in the car too. Check out the shop manual on
this procedure.

If you have any questions or think something should be added or moved please post. Please keep this on topic as well.
Thank you very much that was alot of information...but since I'm new into the mustang scene, I just bought a '97 mustang v6 automatic... can you tell me how much HP/TQ increments can I expect in each stage?? Thank you I'll appreciate your help...
SYTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #144
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Buddy. Gears and a tuner first. Then exhaust then intake to take advantage of exhaust. Then nitrous or boost and your done.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sorry if this has been asked before, but could you switch out using NOS to a water methonal kit?
Bongstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #146
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongstang1
Sorry if this has been asked before, but could you switch out using NOS to a water methonal kit?
First it's called nitrous. NOS is a brand name. And funny you ask this question because I spray methanol and nitrous simultaneously. It allows for a bigger shot safely and you do not need to ****** timing as you would without it on the contrary. You can advance it for even more power. I now run a 175 shot with no timing ****** at the track. It's a great idea. I am actually doing this so if you have any questions pm me and I can give you the details of my set up. Running methanol on it's own is pointless.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
First it's called nitrous. NOS is a brand name. And funny you ask this question because I spray methanol and nitrous simultaneously. It allows for a bigger shot safely and you do not need to ****** timing as you would without it on the contrary. You can advance it for even more power. I now run a 175 shot with no timing ****** at the track. It's a great idea. I am actually doing this so if you have any questions pm me and I can give you the details of my set up. Running methanol on it's own is pointless.
Wait, youre running a 175 shot of nitrous? How many times have you done this? I hope you have a spare motor around.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #148
Road Trip!

Every track day. Dont worry about my motor it's handling it just fine. And they are zex shots which translates to about 140 at the wheels. Good to go. And yes I am in the process of acquiring a 5.4 2v. Building one with forged guts for my m112 to bolt on. I have spent alot of time with my nose in books reading and testing so I am now learning the limits of properly tuned nitrous on stock guts. These motors will handle a 250 shot as long as there is no detonation
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Every track day. Dont worry about my motor it's handling it just fine. And they are zex shots which translates to about 140 at the wheels. Good to go. And yes I am in the process of acquiring a 5.4 2v. Building one with forged guts for my m112 to bolt on. I have spent alot of time with my nose in books reading and testing so I am now learning the limits of properly tuned nitrous on stock guts. These motors will handle a 250 shot as long as there is no detonation
I'd love to see a v6 run a 250 shot on a stock block....more than once
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #150
Road Trip!

Mine isn't a v6. And once spring hits I will be posting time slips spraying every run from 75 to 175... I don't think a sixxer could handle 250 but a v8 tuned properly spraying in stages could no problem. Tuned properly is key. Actually I bet a sixxer could as long as it didn't detonate and it sprayed in stages.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #151

Region: Texas
Underdrive pulleys

Now, I may be a little slow in the curve but at the current moment I want to purchase a 2013 V6 in the quite near future. The problem I am running into is finding a underdrive pulley for the car? Now I know there has got to be an answer to this question.
DaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang