Error Code P0411 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Lightbulb Error Code P0411

Hello,

Got my check engine light on last night (ironically at 12:00AM... the day of my birthday). Went over to autozone and they told me it was P0411 (secondary air induction system -- incorrect flow). Could anyone guide me on what could be wrong and what I must do to fix it?

Car Specs:
1999 Ford Mustang V6
Automatic Transmission
70,900 est. miles

Thanks.
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...ighlight=p0411 << Found that on 3.8... probably the only thread there with any useful info on this error code. Hmm... it'd be nice to have a more definate answer that way I can avoid taking my car in for work since it has been modified already which probably has voided my warranty.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
check to see if you have a leak on your intake tubing. do you have cold air or something you've messed with before?

if you don't find anything, go to ford and ask em.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I do have a cold air intake, but I've had it for over a year now with no problems.

By the way, I just checked on my warranty that we paid $1420 for and it expired after 12 months. So it was over with last June. Oh well.

My stepdad is going to take it into his work tomorrow and see if any of the mechanics can find anything wrong with it. We'll see. I'd really prefer not to have to pay any money at a dealership to fix this... at least not more than $50 after just spending $1400 for wheels & tires today. I'm pretty much living off $100 now for the next two weeks.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to CALIKID00
same **** happened to me. ive ripped out my intake like 3 times and i put it back in a lil while ago. ive gotten the codes deleted millions of times and have disconnected the battery a few times. Still came on. Yesterday i put in my autometer gauge cluster (looks sweet as a *****) and had to disconnect the negative and it hasnt come back on YET. We'll see what happens. If it comes back on the im going to put on my headers and then take it to ford. But ive also been driving with it on for about 3 months now and no major problem has occured. THIS CODE IS BULL ****!!!!
CALIKID00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I donno... sounds to me like I might as well just take it in and pay to get it fixed because I'd hate to deal with this random yellow light appearing on my dash non-stop.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I know how you feel...random lights jus appear on my dash so I just keep pullin the battery cable and reattaching
Nothing major, it just doesn't think i can put my gas cap back on right. the sensor is messed up
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wait a tic... so do you think if I detatch the battery... put it back on, and if no light comes back on (check engine) then it was just a glitch?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
That happens sometimes, If you don't tighten the gas cap enough when you put in gas it will trigger a check engine soon light, for sure. I had an aftermarket gas cap on my 94, that code stayed on most of the time, so I finally bought a Ford replacement cap, never got that code again.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Wow... this specific error came up just because of a gas cap? I had filled up earlier that night... but the light didn't come on until at least an hour later. So by unplugging and plugging back in my battery cable... I may be able to get rid of that light?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:36 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Worth a try man. But disconnect the ground wire. Use an 8mm wrench. Leave it off as long as practical. At very least step on the brake pedal 3 or 4 times while its disconnected to drain any residual voltage from the system.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks for the advise. I'll get out there a few mins before school and give it a try. I can't imagine that it's because I didn't tighten the gas cap enough -- seems like such a trivial thing... but people make mistakes I guess?!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:43 PM   #13
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
haha yeah, i remember hearing about that somewhere. So I always make sure my cap clicked and is tight.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

And you guys heard about this gas cap problem being related to this specific error code?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #15
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
not a specific error code, just about one appearing if the cap wasn't tightened correctly
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ooo... Rick made it sound like as if the gas cap issue was a resolution for this specific error code. If not... then no, it's most likely not the gas cap because I already had my car up at AutoZone and was given the error code P0411.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Mine actually pops up with a little message on far right of dashboard that says "check gas cap". I checked it then and it did ****. I'm just gonna put a piece of electrical tape over the light and not worry about it anymore...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm... yeah, I've never seen that light. The light I'm getting is the yellow Service Engine Soon light.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
Here is your first problem....Its a ford...jp, I have a ford too. What you might want to do is if disconnecting the negative on the battery doesnt do it, then try finding someone with a ford diagnostic tool who can reset your computer. Before doing that though, you might want to take it to a mechanic or the dealer because you might have a sensor that went bad. It could be a pressure sensor on the manifold...

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My stepdad looked at my car today and found that the air pump is all packed up. Need to replace it basically. Anyone know how much that'll run me? I'm gonna ask my friend at Advance Auto so that way I can see if his discount will help much, otherwise, I'll order it from my dad's body shop. Just doesn't sound like a part you'd find often on eBay.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh... and it's a Secondair Air Injection (AIR) Electrical Pump that I need.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually sounds like CA emissions stuff, is your stang CA emissions equipped Sharum? Oh well, you learn something new every day
Old 04-04-2004, 01:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Not that I know of... I live in VA of course... and I bought my car used from a local dealership here in Springfield.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to CALIKID00
yeah mine was an air pump and ended out costing me $400 including labor. i didnt care price because i just wanted it fixed, i been running on it for about 4/5 months so it needed to be done.
CALIKID00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

A good lesson for you guys to remember:

1: Buy tools and manuals instead of spending money on paying people to repair things for you.

2: If there is any way you can, fix it yourself, or get a friend with more mechanical knowlege to help you if possible.

3: Only go to dealerships for repairs if there is NO ALTERNATIVE or your car is still UNDER WARRANTY. Dearlerships, as a rule have young, inexperienced mechanics, and don't pay them that well, once they get more experience, they move on to more money, or go into business for themselves.

4: Stay away from Chain Automotive Repair Places if possible: Meinke, Midas, Precision tune, etc, they also hire inexperienced people, but theirs don't even have any school for it, they hire untrained high school kids as a rule and teach them only what they want them to know, they also move on as they learn enough to get better paying jobs elsewhere.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Oh... I never posted the outcome of how this got fixed... I got the pump from a Ford dealership for $118 and my stepdad put it in the car in under an hour. Disconnected the battery... hooked stuff back up... and there goes the light! Tada!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Good deal Sharum! You did, watch, learn and participate in all this with stepdad?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

So Calikadoo, you can now see that what 282 dollars of your 400 dollar repair bill was labor and or parts markup. See what I mean sort of?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

In this area dealerships were charging about 80 dollars an hour+or- a little last I heard so that is a heck of a parts mark up or they overcharged you on labor for a one hour job. Hmmmmm.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
Air injection is definitely relating to emmisions, and I have yet to see a car other then a CA car with it. If your car has a pipe leading to the first exhaust pipe on the driver side manifold, thats air injection. Mine doesn't have it...luckily. Don't ask me what it does, on my older cars I used to rip my emissions crap off of it.

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If I remeber right, Secondary Air Injection pumps outside air into the exhaust stream while the engine/cat is warming up. This is supposed to help emissions while things get going.
I have the blasted thing, too. And NH doesn't even have emissions standards.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #32

Re: Error Code P0411

99% of the issue is SIMPLY because of the location Ford decided to mount this "secondary" air pump. And yes...they ARE on NON-California vehicles, as a lot of you seem to argue is not possible. OK.. my issue...Same repeated P0411 as everyone else. 2000 V6-3.8 as everyone else. My pump under right-front corner as everyone else. My (sealed??) pump completely filled with water and frozen, probably like eveyone else''s too. OK, so I live in Pennsylvania, not the coldest place in the US. But why im the H*** would Ford mount a 12-volt electric pump where it is succeptible to all kinds of road debris, slush, and rainwater...? So they can add to their service income of course. Find yourself a good working pump at a boneyard...on eBay...or wherever. Replace it, and the problem goes away.And oh yeah, the other 1% of the time is simply due to a disconnected vacuum hose.
holzer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Error Code P0411

thread is 5 years old

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #34

Region: New York
p0411 error o2 sensor replaced code gone

Hi All I know this is and old thread but I found it when I was trying to resolve the same code on my mustang. I had about 10 codes due to the gas tank filler gasket and an o2 sensor. After replacing gas tank gasket I had about 4 codes, 2 were relating to downstream o2 sensors. I cleared them and this one came up. I checked voltage of 02 sensors and one (drivers side cat one) was going over 1.24 volts. I think the range was supposed to be under one volt. There were no 02 sensor codes being thrown just the p0411. I did the math and the o2 sensor was cheper than the air pump or other parts in the air pump system. After replacing the 02 sensor and clearing the codes, no codes came back. So this code may actually get thrown if the o2 sensors are faulty in the exhaust system. Just thought I would post this, hate to see people replacing parts they don't have to.
mikeswire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang