It's too bad... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's too bad...

It's too bad that nobody autox's. It's really fun.

This forum needs to liven up. Autox is such a kickass sport.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Enlighten.

I can go to a dragstrip on street night and run a quarter-mile. How does one begin in autocross? What national or regional organizing bodies are there? What are the requirements? Yadda yadda yadda

Don't just say it's "kickass." Explain and enlighten, please.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDonkey
Enlighten.

I can go to a dragstrip on street night and run a quarter-mile. How does one begin in autocross? What national or regional organizing bodies are there? What are the requirements? Yadda yadda yadda

Don't just say it's "kickass." Explain and enlighten, please.
Why, of course I will!

The national organizing body of Autocross is the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America): http://www.scca.org . This is further divided into regional organizational bodies which can be found on their site.

"Solo II is the SCCA brand name for autocross competition. Solo II events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip. While speeds are no greater than those normally encountered in legal highway driving, the combination of concentration and car feedback creates an adrenaline pumping experience. It is like being in a movie chase scene, only you are holding onto the steering wheel instead of a box of popcorn!"

Basically there are regional Solo II events all over the country at airports, large parking lots, military bases, etc. You can find all the events scheduled near you by going to http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp...gionalSites&~= , you can also find contact information and local websites of your regional Solo II coordinators.

If you live in California, or even if you don't because there's a lot of info here, you can check out: http://www.solo2.com

Basically the event goes something like this: You sign up, go to the event, walk the course over a bunch of times so you don't get confused in the sea of cones. People get assigned to work the cones (meaning to stand them back up after someone inevitably hits them) until its your turn. Then you get in your car and drive as smooth and as quickly as you can through the course until you reach the finish line. It's timed, of course. You will be placed in a class with other cars based on your mods.

Hm. I'm sure I could say more... But it's pretty late. And I have work in a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to LuvMyGT
That sounds awesome. I'm looking for autoX in Oklahoma right now!
LuvMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I would love to build my car for that and do it if it was any closer to me...everywhere is at least 6 hours away from me...Maybe I can get a local club started and we use the old air strip...could work.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
hey im here in San Antonio Taxas and i would really like to get into auto-X but the link you gave wont work so i cant find any info for my region.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I want to but there is no where close to go do it that I know if, well a place near here but not sure how its set up.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
I have to drive between 1.5 and 4 hrs to get to autocrosses. It's still worth it.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
hey im here in San Antonio Taxas and i would really like to get into auto-X but the link you gave wont work so i cant find any info for my region.
Fixed the regional link. Apparently SCCA updated their website.

Like Horse said... if you actually get out to one, you'll find it well worth your time.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
Fixed the regional link. Apparently SCCA updated their website.
no they didnt still comes up as page could not be found http://www.scca.org/getstarted/swdiv.html

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Here
this is the list of all the texas regions within the southwest divison
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Old 06-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
no they didnt still comes up as page could not be found http://www.scca.org/getstarted/swdiv.html
I mean I updated the link in my original post:

The new page on the SCCA site is:

http://www.scca.org/Inside/Index.asp...=RegionalSites
Old 12-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Hey, my local AutoX is at the local speedway. Might check them out sometime.

I've always wanted to do AutoX, so much more skill involved than just regular drag racing.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about it..but I'd like to keep my tires as long as possible.

that and I am just a drag racing kinda person.

Id rather be pushed back into my seat rather than side to side.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I can see the up side to both. I however, would rather race through dozens of turns than just go straight... I do like getting thrown back in the seat though. Then again, you get to do that a lot in autocross too, and it's the really nice first jolt of getting pressed into your seat. I don't know about the rest of you, but after 2nd gear, my seat-pressing just isn't what it used to be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang