grinding noise from diff. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
grinding noise from diff. *update w/ pics*

At least I think that's where it's comming from. It sounds like a wheel bearing going out, but I replaced the wheel bearing on the side that's causing the noise and it didn't help. The sound is only audible when it's under power, and it's not a constant sound. The faster the speed, the faster the sound. I pulled the diff cover and the pin was all chewed up around the flat spot in the middle. I replaced the pin, but it's still making the same noise. Do you guy's thinks it's the spider gears or do you think it might be the bearings on each end of the diff?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

i vote bearings. did you put friction modifier in with the gear oil? that should help some.

one for sure way to see if its the bearings is to pull the axle. there is a heat guard on the end that is black. if that is worn off and you can see silver metal, then your bearings are bad.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I put the correct amount of friction mod. in when I installed it. The heat guard that you're talking about. Is that on the very end where the C clip holds it into the Diff., or further back?
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

about 1/2" in from the c-clip. basically at the end of the splines. the heat thing is pretty much the whole black paint on the axle.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That didn't look particularly shiney when I pulled it last time, but I'll bet you're right and it's the differential bearings. I'll probably just try to get both sides. I wonder how much those run.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

theyre not too bad if i remember correctly.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, just picked them up over my lunch hour. About $30 for both bearings and new races. Hope this cures the grindy noise of badness.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well, the bearing was deffinatly the problem. Check out the rollers and the race from the driver side:
Old 04-27-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

wow, looks slightly used :p

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang