Help with clutch decision - Pro-motion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Help with clutch decision - Pro-motion

I talked to Wally at Pro-motion today, and we're trying to figure out what clutch i need. I told him I need something that will handle at least 500 hp. I was recommended the King Cobra by several people, so I'll probably get that, but he wanted to know how many splines the transmission is. I'm running into a problem. I need the clutch soon for engine balancing, but I do'nt need a new $1500 transmission until i'm about to get the supercharger. Will/should those transmissions have a different spline count? I will probably get a pro-motion rebuilt tranny to handle the amount of power i'm putting out.

I know the clutch is 11" and has 6 crank bolts. Does the spline even matter for the clutch since it's actually sitting on the shaft? Thanks for any quick responces.

edit: Also, should I get an aluminum flywheel? The guy I talked to, Wally, said that at 500hp I would be at the verge of either not needing an aluminum flywheel, or I would be better of not using one, I don't remember, but he also said something about launching at 7000rpm or higher, which I am definately not going to do. Your ideas on this?

speedpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
500hp! 7000rpm! that sounds like alot for a pushrod v6. the most i've heard of is 400hp. and i think the tooth count is different for the t5 that was used in v8s and v6s. if the spline is different the clutch will not slide on. and if the guy that's building your engine says you don't need an aluminum flywheel then he's probably right, but if you're gonna buy one be careful where you get it...mine did't fit!

ps. buy the way i have your pressure plate if you still need it, i just have to get the price from ups. but i was thinking... why not just use the clutch assy. that your gonna be running to balance your engine. oh yeah and if your gonna be using the stock input shaft then check out the spec clutches at s and r racing. i think they have the best prices.
All pigs are useless!
widowvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang