Project car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:18 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to NavyStanger
Arrow Project car

A real rough estimate: how much would it take to get a GT, 94-98, to 400 rwhp with a SC?

The reason I ask is, with the 3.8 roots blower kit coming out, and the projected costs...

Im getting numbers that have it come out cheaper to get a 3.8 closer to 400rwhp, including all the necessary upgrades, than a 4.6. Mainly because the 4.6 kits are all centi.
Haven't been able to get a real answer anywhere, other than one "well uhh gts are always better to mod" without any reasoning to back it up in this paticular case.
NavyStanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

400whp with a v6 will be difficult. You will need: (all prices include product plus install at a shop -- * = you can do yourself)

a forged bottom end (1000 +1000)
fuel upgrades (1000 + 250*)
8.8 rear (500 + 250*)
Stronger converter and other tranny stuff (1250 installed)
Cam and ported heads and valve springs and RRs(1100 - have install w/ bottom end = 0)
Long tube headers (250 + 100)
Roots kit (1200 + 200*)
misc. including boost guage and tune (500)

projected spending ~ $8000 to run 400whp on pump gas reliably. Prices might be inflated a little bit due to varying prices and possibly buying used and you can get cheaper install prices or something.

GT with 400whp. (not taking in account that you do not have a GT yet)

Paxton Novi blower (4500 + 500)
3" exhaust (250 installed)
Cam and ported heads (1200 + 800)
Fuel (600)
Tune (500)

GT is about the same price. the blower's are expensive. You will see better results from the GT though. The V6 will be pushing a lot of power and can start to wear the engine down a lot. Just remember that forced induction shortens the life of the engine significantly. the more boost = quicker wear down. a centrifugal blower on a GT will require less boost than a screw type on a v6 and so the V6 will wear out quicker. Plus the drivetrain and valvetrain aren't designed to support 400whp so you will have to upgrade them too.

I hope this helps. Both are easily do-able, and will cost around the same (since the v6 blower is so cheap) but the GT will get better responses from each mod and will survive the boost easier.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #3

Exactly the kind of post I was looking for, thanks.

The allure of the 3.8 is of course to not just have another blown GT but to have a 232 almost keeping up with 2003+ cobras, and of course the project side of things and doing the work myself. I also asked because around here, a 98 GT convertible and V6 cost about the same, within a grand or so at the most. I wont be using my old beater in any case. Definitely wouldnt be my daily driver, so wear on the engine wouldnt be a huge consideration in the long run...I do prefer the idea of a roots style over a centi considering the torque gains;

I wont be purchasing my car until about this time next year though, so I have some time to think about it, and see where the roots kit is by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

the roots kit under development is for the split port engines (99-04) as of right now. I would look into at least a 99 engine if you plan to keep with the v6 (since youre changing out the heads on the GT, it doesnt really matter what year you get. the PI heads on the 99+ GTs mostly made the bump from 225bhp to 260bhp). the 99+s are rated at 190bhp instead of 98's 150bhp. just 40 more hp to work with for ya.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Navy, are you at all considering a twin turbo setup of some sort at all or are you set on a supercharger?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
if you are going about replacing everything with heavy duty parts, why not go v8? in fact, if you could afford it, 4v 4.6, or 5.4 4v? if you are wanting to go all out, go displacement.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #7

Not looking for a turbo setup really, if I was more adventurous I might, but there havent been too many successful setups. I also dont want to have to do a lot of custom fab work.

If I went with the roots kit, I'd definitely use split port heads. Im well aware of the various advantages and differences. Im just partial to the 98 body style.

Im going to look into other engine options, a mach 1 setup would be nice as well. There is also the 5.0 'cammer' to consider. However I'd need to weigh these in terms of power vs. cost, when compared to forced induction on smaller engines. Anyone have any numbers?

Im going to be putting about $20,000 total into this, starting a year from now over the course of about a year or so I'd say. (Should have something nicer than a 05 gt, for less) That includes all engine work, and other modifications. I dont plan on much in the way of apperance mods, with the exception of a real roll bar, light bar style, and a tonneau cover. Rear seat delete as well. A nice low milage 98 vert runs about $10,000 give or take in this area. All the installation work will be done by myself as well, with the exception of machine work, which I dont want to get into anyway.

Thanks for the replies, and your opinions
Old 04-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

being that you say 20,000 is what you want to spend on the car, please do yourself a favor and go v8. you'll be a lot happier. if you do stick v6, you will definitely want to sink a couple grand into building her up. also, with what you are wanting, don't go with a roots, go with the twinscrew upgrade. this way you'll make a lot more power and less temperature. twinscrew s/c's are like the ones the 03 cobra guys use to upgrade to. (kenne bell is a supplier)
Old 04-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #9

Isnt the twin-screw AR considered a Roots style SC still?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

in a sense that they sit on top of the lower intake, yes. but they are different in design.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

twin screw > roots

in every way, they just cost more. they don't run as hot, and make a lot more power. they will also be able to accomodate a hi-po 3.8 completely. the m90 roots is too small for a balls-to-the-wall V6, but good'n'plenty for any stock or near stock one. the m112 (lightning) roots blower doesn't route the same way as the m90 and would require more extra work. for the cost, you could just get a twinscrew and have better effeciency and make more poewr. it turns out we will be doing the twinscrew right after the m90roots, so i'll post results if/when it ever gets done.

but i'm by no means trying to sell this to y ou. go v8.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #12

I understand, I really appreciate the unbiased opinions.

I'll see what kind of engine/supercharger combo I can come up with that I can afford, but if it exists in V8 kit form I'd prefer the increased torque a twin/screw/roots blower offers.

Once I get started, I'll catalogue my work with pictures and such, and keep everyone updated on where Im at. Still a long way off though. My wife is going to be in school for a year, so we're going to save money during that time. Once she graduates though, it'll be time for a new car. I have her full support in this, which is nice. I remember watching my friend fight with his wife about buying every single piece of stereo equipment for his truck, not because of money, but because she didnt really care about any sort of sound system.

Does anyone know any good places online to research engines and prices?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

www.summitracing.com will help you with literally 90% of what you'll need. the rest will be at an auto chain store some afternoon because of some parts you forgot to buy from summit.

the motor part is too far and wide to cover. it depends on what route you wish to go. but, www.stangparts.com, www.midwestmustang(s)? .com, and summit all have either used or new motors, plus summit and ford racing have crate motors ready to go, but are expensive. ebay is a great place to go to! you could get a 4.2 for under a grand if you wanted and for another few grand get her to 400rwhp+.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang