Upgrade list! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11
Upgrade list!

Well if my car turns out to be OKAY. Im goin to really start upgrading. Zimstang i love your mustang and i want your rims lol! Can anyone find me rims like his for cheap? Also i want to dress my engine up a little bit. SO i was thinking a cold air intake for looks and performance. Just some little easy things i can install for right now. So any suggestions?
__________________
Car setup-3.8L v6 Mustang-Auto-Dual Exhaust-Custom-Fog Lights
eNvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered User
Newbie
 
NavyStanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to NavyStanger
The first places to start, for looks and performance, are going to be general maintenance. Give your car a full on tune-up, new plugs(use autolite platinums for long life, copper if you dont mind changing them often for a small performance improvement), wires, filters(air,fuel,oil), pcv valve, some injector cleaner, rotate your tires, a good synthetic oil/filter, etc, etc.

For appearance, get a good 3 step cleaner/wax/polish, a clay bar, and start your wax job on your car over. Well worth the time. A good base can be kept looking like a fresh coat with a wash on the weekend and a quick detail spray, only having to re-wax every 4-6 weeks. Also depends if you park outside or not. You can dress up your engine bay, or just clean it up with a steam cleaner.. try not to put a hose on it or spray a bunch of chemicals in there. Can get some interesting plug wires, from extremeffect.com, other little items to go with your CAI. Ebay CAI isnt bad for price/looks.
NavyStanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered User
 
01mineralgrey6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,715
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eNvy
Well if my car turns out to be OKAY. Im goin to really start upgrading. Zimstang i love your mustang and i want your rims lol! Can anyone find me rims like his for cheap? Also i want to dress my engine up a little bit. SO i was thinking a cold air intake for looks and performance. Just some little easy things i can install for right now. So any suggestions?
He will probably be getting rid of them soon. Don't quote me on it though
Little easy things would be the CAI or an Underdrive pulley. But you should check this out http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5654
__________________
-Tony
'99 cobra 'vert
01mineralgrey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by eNvy
Well if my car turns out to be OKAY. Im goin to really start upgrading. Zimstang i love your mustang and i want your rims lol! Can anyone find me rims like his for cheap? Also i want to dress my engine up a little bit. SO i was thinking a cold air intake for looks and performance. Just some little easy things i can install for right now. So any suggestions?
ill sell you mine REAL cheap when i get my steedas
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:50 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyStanger
Give your car a full on tune-up, new plugs(use autolite platinums for long life, copper if you dont mind changing them often for a small performance improvement
I would not spend extra on platinum plugs on a V6 stang. Just not worth the extra money. Get the autolight copper or the original motorcraft sparkplugs. With a well tuned Ignition system and a properly running fuel system standard plugs will last quite a long time. The fact is platinum or any high dollar plug will not magically give you better mileage or power.
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
NavyStanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to NavyStanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I would not spend extra on platinum plugs on a V6 stang. Just not worth the extra money. Get the autolight copper or the original motorcraft sparkplugs. With a well tuned Ignition system and a properly running fuel system standard plugs will last quite a long time. The fact is platinum or any high dollar plug will not magically give you better mileage or power.
...

Stock Motorcraft plugs are double platinum. Platinum plugs are generally not significantly more expensive than copper, if at all. They simply last longer. Copper plugs are generally a grade cooler than platinum, and better for your engine. However, they do not last nearly as long. Autolite copper, and stock Motorcraft plugs are fine choices.

You make it sound like I was trying to tell him he'll get more power with platinum plugs.... Guess everyone needs to feel important.
NavyStanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyStanger
...

Stock Motorcraft plugs are double platinum. Platinum plugs are generally not significantly more expensive than copper, if at all. They simply last longer. Copper plugs are generally a grade cooler than platinum, and better for your engine. However, they do not last nearly as long. Autolite copper, and stock Motorcraft pugs are fine choices.

You make it sound like I was trying to tell him he'll get more power with platinum plugs.... Guess everyone needs to feel important.
Actually I was not hammering you and I am in no need to feel important so that remark was unnecessary. I was however pointing out advertised claims by plug manufactures of increased power and mileage which would be comical if it was not such a problem with false advertisement and outright fraud in the automotive industry.
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ponycarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Texas
Posts: 349
Platinum plugs can help power and mileage, but onlyif the ignition system is weak. Platinum plugs fire easier than standard plugs, helping to crutch a weak ignition spark. This is something a stock, properly work Ford ignition does not have as a problem.

But if you had an old car with a points ignition then yeah, platinums might show an improvement.

Steve
__________________
1996 Mustang
1965 Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
Platinum plugs can help power and mileage, but onlyif the ignition system is weak. Platinum plugs fire easier than standard plugs, helping to crutch a weak ignition spark. This is something a stock, properly work Ford ignition does not have as a problem.

But if you had an old car with a points ignition then yeah, platinums might show an improvement.

Steve
That is why I made this statement

Quote:
Danger Dude: With a well tuned Ignition system and a properly running fuel system standard plugs will last quite a long time.
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
NavyStanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to NavyStanger
Stock in Mustangs: platinum. I also never stated he'd see gains, it's just part of a tune-up, and where you should start. I also suggested some tried and true plug types in our vehicles. A lot of people gravitate towards NGK and Bosch, when they're not really the best for our application.

But yeah, truth in advertising is a far away dream in the automotive industry. Take HP at the crank for instance. You'll never see it, but they found a way to tell you your car makes more power than you'll ever feel.

ZMax is another good one. Still a dusty old box of that sitting on the shelf at the local Autozone. It sucks not being able to take manufacturer's claims at face value, in a world where generally speaking truth in advertising is taken seriously. Some of these companies get away with murder, like the intake fan makers.
NavyStanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next on the list army-mustang 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 11-30-2009 03:16 PM
To Do List 1995procharged 1996-2004 Mustang GT 1 08-31-2009 08:19 AM
Mod List GT-Eater Pictures and Videos 2 03-11-2005 10:49 PM
List Of Parts I Need For A V6 hawks05 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 7 03-05-2005 11:20 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.