Types of mufflers and brands - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to el cheapo
maybe because i have the x-pipe is why my flows dont get ricey. . they just seem loud and deep all the time.
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo
maybe because i have the x-pipe is why my flows dont get ricey. . they just seem loud and deep all the time.
I have dual flows with a custom built H-pipe. I too get no ricey sound. It's prety deep and raspy the whole time clear to redline.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83876120VQHyGN
chrisinbeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Remember guys, one possible explination for the flowmasters getting ricy, could very well be the source of the claim. For example. I hear a lot of people with 99+'s say that they love flows. Wheras most of the complaints for the ricy flomasters are coming from the pre99 crowd.

The explination may very well be the fact that 94-98 mustangs have header style exhaust, whereas 99+'s have an exhaust manifold.

I'm not an expert, but I'm tending to believe that on pre99's the sound is worse than on the manifolded 99+'s.

Some people would say thats bull. But think about it... the headers and exhaust manifold handle exhaust in a very different style. Different components, usually means different outcomes.

It's just a theory.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Doubt its the headers. they flow pretty much the same just look different.

I got flows and love them, not ricey at all.

If its anything its the camshaft. 94-98's have a meaner cam than 99+.
But i dont think there is that big of a difference between years pertaining to the sound of flows. Evertime i hear them i love them.
Its just certain people's opinions. Some people are to damn opinionative.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think the most overlooked aspect is piping diameter. If you go to large any muffler is going to sound raspy and ricey H or X pipe or not. My MACs stay deep and just seem to rumble...at WOT they simply growl. I had RAVEN mufflers on my 4.3L Vortec in my '94 Chevy 1500 and that was the loudest damned trcuk in all of San Antonio! Sounded good though....miss that truck....don't know why I added that...what was I saying? shouldn't post at 3am...gotta go to bed
2000 Black 5-Speed: Steeda Tri-Ax, UD Pulley, Strut Brace, Mac CAI, MAC Exhaust, 17" Torque Thrust Wheels, FMS C-Springs, JBA 9mm Wires, Cobra leather seats, bumper inserts, front end cover, Pioneer speakers, silver dash bezel, shift bezel, chrome knobs, door locks, leather shift knob, 35% tint
aggiesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
actually Evin is right The pre 99 V6 sounds alot nicer stock than a wheezy 99+ and alot has to do with the crappy 99+ exhaust manifolds they flow like #### and they suck. The pre 99 headers especially the 98's are really nice and are good up into the 300 hp range and they do change the tone of the exhaust!!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:47 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

The 99+ headers flow pretty much the same, they just look differently.
The 94-98 headers are a work of art from the factory but the 99+ headers flow almost exactly the same.
Both sets of headers are perfect till ~300 hp.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I have Flows. The longer you have them on your car, the louder and deeper they get. When I first got them (bout a year ago) I hated how they sound on the high end. Now they are beginning to gurgle (like an 8 ) in higher rpm's and REALLY mellow out on take off. There IS a ricey type sound, but it's more akin to the exhaust off a Cobra type R. It's deeper than rice, but would still be cons ricey. If you've ever heard the Cobra R (2000) then you know what I mean. I have NO H or Y pipe, either. Yes, I have tru dual cat backs, and it sounds AWESOME! If hermb22 and the other guys get a chance to come around my way, they can bring a recorder to record the sound. Maybe have a poll on how they sound, btw, I have had SEVERAL people tell me it sounds like a 5.0 on take off! Any stang lover knows it's not the exact same sound, but it sounds great all the same!

I have come for the octane, the whole octane and nothing BUT the octane.
Any questions?
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

my car sounds like a beast...

it really does sound like a 4.6l

5.0 it will never compair.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:58 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« Chip | Take Off »