XCAL 2 OR 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #1

Region: Florida
XCAL 2 OR 3

around christmas time im going to be installing 4.10 gears, t loc and a chip
i was on americanmuscle.com and it has the xcal 3 for 379 and a xcal 2 for 269. i was thinkn of gettin the xcal 2 since its ahundred dollars cheaper or is this not a good idea? oh yeaaa do i need an motive bearing kit for install too? my car has 115000 miles on it and its only an 03
BlackSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil
Re: XCAL 2 OR 3

You will be fine with the XCal 2 as the 3 is relatively fresh to the market. Of course SCT will be pushing the newer item but it is not a must have.
As for the bearing kit, it is definitely a good idea, especially with that many miles on the car
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I'd like to know the differences between the XCal 2 and XCal 3 also... I mean, if there really isn't a "difference" then there's no point in not getting the XCal 2 on sale.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #4

yea might as well do it to be sure... are Motive gears ok or should i go with a different brand or is it all just that same? installing an xcal2 can i do it or does a shop need to do it? costs for install?
BlackSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSix View Post
yea might as well do it to be sure... are Motive gears ok or should i go with a different brand or is it all just that same? installing an xcal2 can i do it or does a shop need to do it? costs for install?
you should be able to handle it yourself. I would say the Ford Racing ones are probably "better"... it's only $10

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

I agree with getting the Ford Racing gears. The XCal is just a handheld tuner that plugs right into your OBD 2 port, the only thing is that a tune has to be loaded from a performance shop and if you don't buy the tuner from the shop then they charge you for the tunes so it usually is more cost effective to buy the XCal from the place you will get your tunes
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The difference between the 2 and 3 are backlit displays and maybe some firmware changes. When the 3's first came out, some tuners were flashing them to make them Xcal 2's in the 3 shell because of issues with the tuner.

Answer to the "which should I get"...for $100, get the 2. It is not inferior and the back lighting is not worth $100.

Also, www.atomicperformance.com has the install kit, free shipping, and $10 off orders over $100 for all forum members. PM him for a price or check out his website....then enter evolution in the coupon section. You will get your order real fast from them...I get everything within 2 days when I order from them.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The difference between the 2 and 3 are backlit displays and maybe some firmware changes. When the 3's first came out, some tuners were flashing them to make them Xcal 2's in the 3 shell because of issues with the tuner.

Answer to the "which should I get"...for $100, get the 2. It is not inferior and the back lighting is not worth $100.
when I get the gear kit, it automatically comes with the XCal 3, and the kit price makes the tuner a lot cheaper. that's the only thing keeping me from getting it now.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I believe there have been firmware upgrades that are fixing the issues with the 3's. EIther one will be fine...they both do the same exact thing only one is backlit and in a fancier package. That's about it when you boil it down. It's getting hard to find the 2's anymore new because they have been replaced by the 3's...so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

SCT PROGRAMMER FOR FORD AND CHEVY N/A SUPERCHARGED TURBO DYNO - Washington DC Car Parts & Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Maryland (DC Metro), Washington DC

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang