can someone help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
can someone help?

ok, I got a 2001 pony (v-6), and I want to make it fast, as in really fast. What method should I take knowing I'll only have the car for 3 more years, and I still need really good gas mileage, (I'm driving an hour to and from school every day, and every other weekend 4 hours one way.... good gas mileage is a must). I thought about getting dual exhaust, and that's probably the first thing I'll do. I found a dual conversion kit for my car that will only set me back about $230, and then I can either keep the mufflers that come with it, or trash them and trade up to magnaflow or flowmaster or some other muffler. Also, I want to take out that hood scoop insert, and make it functional with Cold Air Induction, I think that would be awesome. I'm planning on getting a K&N Filter some time in the near future. Would a superchip be worth the money? I could get a dual programmable one and put one program for good gas mileage, and one for good horsepower? I also found some things I think will make it look nice, such as a body kit front bumper. Good thing one of my best friends loves painting cars . I thought about putting ghost flames on the hood, but I think I'll pass. I want to beat those v-8's. I already have the sound aspect taken care of. I have 2 10'' subs back there now, and I'm going to build custom boxes to hold 2-12'' subs, and it will give me more trunk space since the last place couldn't fit the boxes under the factory built in amps. I also thought of fog lights. Oh, and under drive pulleys. If anyone has any ideas on how to make my car fast for not much, but still operate well, lol, hook me up?
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
i dunno man, removing the scoop insert and putting on ghost flames will give you at least 50hp

lol
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
I want to beat those v-8's
Very hard, without spending lotsa $$$
Check out this thread.http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5654 that will give you a good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
One of the big bang for the buck mods on a V6 is lower gear rear end, trouble is they also ruin your gas mileage, with the highway miles you are doing you wouldn't want that probably. Some mods, mostly the ones you already mentioned, either don't hurt mileage, or they may even help it a little, but these aren't the kind of mods that will make your V6 beat a GT or a Cobra either, that is going to take lower gears, a supercharger, nitrous, or a turbo probably, not to mention forged rotating assembly to make her take the power, and those are the kind of mods that make you get less mpg than the GT. Sorry for the reality check.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
ok, so I'd settle for not being blown away by them. Does anyone know where I could get a Ram Air intake that runs from my hood scoop to my air filter? I planned on taking out the insert, and cutting some car to do it, but I've made my peace, and I'm willing. I'd like to get that done with the dual exhaust. Those together shouldn't cost too much. Plus, that's my Cold Air intake. So yeah, anyone know where that kind of intake set-up can be found?
Old 05-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Functional ram air won't get you much of a gain, even if you do get it, and what you do get is only like at passing speeds, like 45-50mph up. There is NO HOLE in your hood under that hood scoop, if you take out that insert you will just find your fiberglass hood, no holes. For around 7-800 bucks you can get a shaker set up similar to the Mach I which is functional, you will have to cut a hole in your hood to install it. There are several companies that make those CDC is just one of them, do a search for shaker scoops, that should get you some results.

I will normally just go ahead and let a V6 stang pass me on the highway, unless of course I am feeling like showing off a little, then I might kick it and take off like a bat out of He__. Then if he catches up I will usually let him go on, hehe.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know all about what's under that plastic POS I say POS because it's non-functional, and I don't know if I wanna put on a shaker system.... for $800. Is there a system from my factory plastic insert to my intake... I am perfectly ok with cutting my hood there. I have a really good friend that's really into auto body and will fix anything I happen to F up. Plus, he's gonna help me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang