help me put this to rest - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
help me put this to rest

hi, i have a 2003(auto) now will i actually see any difference between a mac cai, a dense charger cai, a BBK cai, and a ebay knock off of these? i have read so many diffrent opinions and all but i just want the truth. any dynos would help out alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I don't have any dyno information, but i know that Corey(Dangerdude) had a Densecharger , then got a MAC and there was NO change in power...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
That is correct I had a Densecharger for over a year and switched over to a MAC. I had Zero Loss or gain in power with the swap. It is a matter if you want bling or black. I will say I have a 98 and so I did not have the advantage of a full length like the 99+ have. I also had issues with the Densecharger coming off a couple of times once on the interstate. John Demolet sent me a replacement part to prevent that from happening. I have been doing some research and have found that most of the CAI's that bend before the MAF might actually be causing slight power losses do to disrupting the even flow of air across the MAF. But still researching.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Cory, your on the right track.

The whole problem with the bend is that it alters the air that enters/goes past the MAF and changes the sample. This ends up leaning out the car. Now, in stock form, our cars are tuned rich form the factory. So by adding a CAI like a densecharger that happens to lean ou tthe car, you make more power from the altering of the a/f than the "cold air" part.

Hence why I am interested in swapping out to a K&N FIPK, or at the very least, cutting the flange off of my maf and running a small piece of straight pipe with a filer on the end, similar to that of the K&N kit.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
That is what I like about the design of the K&N fipk.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
ive always heard they all give u about the same gains there is just two factors whether u want bling or black, or name brand or not
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #7

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
K&N = Teh Win
Old 05-19-2004, 01:13 AM   #8

There's always the C&L 73mm MAF kit. Better flowing MAF plus it's kinda like the K&N fipk except it's not sealed off from the engine compartment nearly as well and without the MAF to throttle body pipe. But I swapped a densecharger for that because the C&L kit flows straight and is not messin' around with my a/f ratio.
Silver 2000 3.8 w/ 5-speed Mods: C&L 73mm MAF w/K&N filter, 64mm throttle body, Diablosport chip, ASP underdrive pulley, GT takeoff exhaust, Spec stage III clutch, steeda clutch quadrant clutch cable and firewall adjuster, steeda tri-ax shifter, FRPP aluminum driveshaft and trac-loc differential, MSD plug wires, and Royal Purple lubricants all the way.
Cajunsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:04 AM   #9

has anybody dyno'd the k&n?does it show any gains? the only thing that bothers me about it is that it isnt sealed off from the engine....
mesagsxbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
the K&N is sealed off from the engine. there's a box that surrounds the filter. It's open at the top, but you can see a rubber piece on the top edge that makes contact with the hood.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Guys you are really missing the point. the fact is + or - 1 to 3 HP is all we are talking about. Deside which one you want as far as looks because you can actually get better performance gains by indexing and cleaning your spark plugs. I was on the dyno getting lower than expected readings and decided to take a exhaust temp reading at the Header pipe to Head attachment point and found one cylinder 80* colder and one 105* colder. Pulled the spark plugs out and both had silver tracks on the insulators. I then noticed each plug had a little tiny piece of metal flashing sticking up where the thread stopped on the plug. I filed them down and gained 6hp

So in the larger picture the type of CAI should be more driven by what you want because gains are so close they are within error zone.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
In my opinion the only discussion should be the difference between the design difference of straight in front of the MAF or a bend into the fender.

Other than that I agree with Corey, pick one based on looks.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I then noticed each plug had a little tiny piece of metal flashing sticking up where the thread stopped on the plug. I filed them down and gained 6hp
Is this a rare occurance or would you recommend the spark-plug-filing-mod to everyone?
:pancake:
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would inspect every sparkplug before buying them. Make sure the dont have tiny little metal bumps that stick up along the metal landing where the threads end and will be in the combustion chamber. Believe it or not but in my case some of the spark was jumping off onto the head and not to the electrode. Sparkplugs are massed produced and as such small stuff gets by inspectors. Look for any imperfection and no this is not a rare occurance and the cost of the plugs does not change the frequency of occurance.

I know racers and hobbiest who index there plugs so all plugs are facing the same direction.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang