Chip or Tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Chip or Tuner?

im looking at the SCT X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner or the SCT Mustang 4-Bank Eliminator Chip

i wanted to know if there was really any difference except for price, and how easy is it to install.

and would it even be worth it to install on a stock?
ive read that stock i could get 10-15hp and 5+mpg, but is this real?
maxwelmurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Chip or Tuner?

It is worth it on stock especially if you have an automatic.

For ease of use, get the tuner all the way. You can store 3 custom tunes on the tuner and it takes about 60 seconds to reflash your computer with a new tune. If you need a change to one of the tunes, you get the change from your tuner person either in person or through email, transfer it to the device, then flash your computer.

If you need an update on a chip you have to remove the chip, package it up, ship it off, wait for it to come back, re-install the chip, all the while hoping you don't break or bend any pins.

Plus, with a tuner, you are able to plug it into a laptop and datalog your car to help diagnose issues. You can also read and clear trouble codes on yours and any other ODBII vehicle. That saves you a trip to vatozone to have it done.

In my mind, a tuner is the much better choice. Sure, you can't change your tune while driving like you can a chip, but all the extra stuff is far worth it to me...plus it only takes about 60 seconds to reflash your car with a new tune.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

alright!
i have an auto 04 v6 and modest hp and torque gains with better fuel economy is perfect right now.
but if i were to get exhaust or CAI or any bolton or power adder, the tuner would enhance them, correct? and would i need to get a new tune for it everytime i add something?

and i read vmptuning has a good deal on them, that comes with the tuner and tunes on it.

thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

VMP is a good source to go with. Justin is pretty in tune with the V6 crowd.

No, you would not need to get updates for simple bolt ons like CAI, Cat Back, and things like that. Now, if you did a supercharger, turbo, nitrous, or changed something like your throttle body, heads, intakes, etc...then yes, you would need updates. However, updates are not that bad. I'm not sure on VMP's stuff right now, but updates are typically around $100-150 unless you go with places that offer free lifetime updates like Amazon Racing.

As for enhancing your gains from typical boltons, a tuner won't really make for greater gains. however, it will allow the computer to control your car properly for your bolt on. For example, if you add an offroad X or H pipe to your exhaust. You are going to gain X amount of power...tuner or not. However, the tune will tell your computer to ignore the rear O2 sensors so you don't get a check engine light.

The only time the tuner will really improve the gains of a bolt on is if you can run more timing with that bolt on. If you were to add headers, or ported heads, or something like that...you would be able to add some more timing which will help improve the gains.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

alright thanks a lot!

two more things
if i were to get bigger wheels, would the tuner be able to sync my car with that? so that it would give the right MPH and such?
and also, americanmuscle offers free lifetime tunes, and my budget is really small, so would that be better? would they offer the 3 tunes and stock tune right off the bat like vmp does? im on both websites and its just a lil but foggy.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yes, that's the other advantage to the tuner. If you get gears or change rims, you can quickly and easily change that inside the tuner and flash your computer.

Based on what I see on their site, that sounds like a good way to go as long as you order the parts that need changing from them. For example, if you decide to install 4.10 gears, order from them and they will send you the change to your tune to make up for the gears. So, in that respect, it seems worth it. And yes, you will get the 3 tunes....and the tuner will download your stock tune the first time you plug it in...they don't provide the stocker for you...the tuner takes care of that on its own.

For the time being, I would go with that. If, down the road, you decide to install something major like new heads, cam, power adder, etc, then you will want to get yourself a custom dyno tune. but, with your current budget, that is a good ways down the road it sounds.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

alright thanks for all the help!!

ill probably be ordering it today!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang