Newbie needs guidance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger

Two more quick questions for you. I understand from reading further that the 4.10 will cause an incorrect reading on the speedometer. Since I am considering changing my tire and wheel size a little (oops, that'll be another question below), and I'll need a chip to correct the speedo, I suppose I should try to get the gears and the wheels/tires and the same time -- then correct the speedo all at once? If I just do the gears, does anyone know about how far, up or down, it will throw the speedo off so I can wing it for a few weeks until I can afford the wheels?
Wheels wont throw your speedo off enought o matter. That is if you stay with the appropriate tire size. (ex. 245/45/17 for 17x8 rims, 275/40/17 for 17x9 rims and on and on.)

Dont buy a Chip until you get the T-Lok and Gears in. They will have to burn the chip to correct it.

Quote:
Third subject... I have P205/65/R15 tires (standard) on the mustang now. I think the wheels are 15 x 7 -- but again, not completely sure - they're stock whatever they are. I don't need super-high performance tires, but I would like something a little wider, certainly better looking, and most importantly safe in the rain. (I know if they look good that adds 50HP right there, right LOL?) We have lots of rain in New Orleans. I was considering going with 17" wheels and I see they come in 17x8. Does anyone know of a reference sheet for what wheels fit what tires? Finally, when I go with a larger set of tires (maybe 60's?), do I have to worry about them rubbing against the wheel well? Instead of 17" do I go with 18" and to what effect?
If you go with 17x8 Rims then get 245/45/17 tires. They wont throw your speedo off by much at all if any. If your rims are 17x9 get 275/40/17 tires. If you get 18's then I am not sure about the tire sizes you need.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Regular

Quote:
Brent, thank you.

So the Flowmaster is OK, the CAI is OK, go with 4.10 gears (I have an automatic) and T-Lok at the same time.

Two more quick questions for you. I understand from reading further that the 4.10 will cause an incorrect reading on the speedometer. Since I am considering changing my tire and wheel size a little (oops, that'll be another question below), and I'll need a chip to correct the speedo, I suppose I should try to get the gears and the wheels/tires and the same time -- then correct the speedo all at once? If I just do the gears, does anyone know about how far, up or down, it will throw the speedo off so I can wing it for a few weeks until I can afford the wheels?

Second question (well, third - but second subject)... my 99 mustang has an automatic traction on it - I'm not sure exactly what it's called. When the tire spins in the rain a little tire lights up on the dash and it's supposed to switch power between wheels in order to achieve better traction(?) Is this correct? How does it work now? How does the T-lock affect this?

Third subject... I have P205/65/R15 tires (standard) on the mustang now. I think the wheels are 15 x 7 -- but again, not completely sure - they're stock whatever they are. I don't need super-high performance tires, but I would like something a little wider, certainly better looking, and most importantly safe in the rain. (I know if they look good that adds 50HP right there, right LOL?) We have lots of rain in New Orleans. I was considering going with 17" wheels and I see they come in 17x8. Does anyone know of a reference sheet for what wheels fit what tires? Finally, when I go with a larger set of tires (maybe 60's?), do I have to worry about them rubbing against the wheel well? Instead of 17" do I go with 18" and to what effect?

I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but I'd love to learn as much as I can. If I need to slow down, back up, look at something else please guide me.

Thanks again Brent for your quick help. I will certainly contact velocitymustang for the chip when I need it (which I think is after the cat-back, CAI, gears and tires -- or do I wait for something else?).

Have a great day!

Digger
I have no idea what just happened but my response to your question is now the first post in this thread 2:

Reddit
Old 05-22-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Newbie needs guidance

Thanks everybody for posting a lot of great information! I have a '99 V6 3.8 stock convertible that I would like to improve. I have purchased a Flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust system and CAI (e-bay style) but I have not installed anything yet. From reading your posts it seems like this is a decent start -- both the equipment and not doing a thing with them until I know what I'm supposed to do!

I would like to do the gears as well but I do not understand all of the jargon yet. Is 7.5 stock? I do not intend to race, but I do like the feel of good torque and response (I have another car for long distance travel) -- what gears should I go with? Do I need to upgrade to 8.8 (whatever that is!)? Do I need some kind of converter or something that provides posi-traction?

I'm rambling -- it goes with the confusion of being a novice. Forgive me if I am using incorrect terms or references, I am willing to learn. I suppose, if any of you are willing let me know if the cat-back and CAI were a decent choice and step-by-step what I should do for gears - or anything else for that matter.

Finally, I've read a little on DiabloSport computer chips. Is this something to go with, especially since I don't know what the heck I'm talking about yet? If so, at what stage of the game?

I appreciate any time and advice anyone can give. Thanks for the education already.

Digger
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Regular

Quote:

I would like to do the gears as well but I do not understand all of the jargon yet. Is 7.5 stock? I do not intend to race, but I do like the feel of good torque and response (I have another car for long distance travel) -- what gears should I go with? Do I need to upgrade to 8.8 (whatever that is!)? Do I need some kind of converter or something that provides posi-traction?
A 7.5 rear end comes on all v6 mustangs. If you do not intend to race on a drag strip then I wouldnt bother upgrading to a 8.8.

Do you have a Automatic or a 5-Speed? If you have a automatic and are not concerned with fuel costs then go with 4.10 gears. If you have a 5-speed go with 3.73. Yo ucan go higher than 3.73 if you have a 5-speed but be prepared to do alot of fast shifting

A T-lok, or Traction Lock, in simple terms makes both of your rear wheels spin. If you get gears get a Traction-Lok at the same time so you can have both installed at the same time and not have to pay for labor twice.

Quote:
I'm rambling -- it goes with the confusion of being a novice. Forgive me if I am using incorrect terms or references, I am willing to learn. I suppose, if any of you are willing let me know if the cat-back and CAI were a decent choice and step-by-step what I should do for gears - or anything else for that matter.
The Flowmaster Cat Back is a decent choice. If your not going for a all out performance car it will do fine. The Ebay Cold Air Intake is just as good as a BBK or MAC CAI. If you have a 94-98 you might find a problem installing it as many ebay CAI are not designed for those. We have a article for installing a Ebay CAI so dont worry its been done plenty of times before.

Ebay CAI Article - http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=h..._cai/index.php

CAI FAQ - http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=a.../cai/index.php

Quote:
Finally, I've read a little on DiabloSport computer chips. Is this something to go with, especially since I don't know what the heck I'm talking about yet? If so, at what stage of the game?
I wouldnt go with Diablo personally.

This guy specializes in V6 Mustangs. Diablo caters to the V8 Crowd more
http://www.velocitymustangperformance.com/

Reddit
Old 05-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Brent, thank you.

So the Flowmaster is OK, the CAI is OK, go with 4.10 gears (I have an automatic) and T-Lok at the same time.

Second question (well, third - but second subject)... my 99 mustang has an automatic traction on it - I'm not sure exactly what it's called. When the tire spins in the rain a little tire lights up on the dash and it's supposed to switch power between wheels in order to achieve better traction(?) Is this correct? How does it work now? How does the T-lock affect this?

I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but I'd love to learn as much as I can. If I need to slow down, back up, look at something else please guide me.

Thanks again Brent for your quick help. I will certainly contact velocitymustang for the chip when I need it (which I think is after the cat-back, CAI, gears and tires -- or do I wait for something else?).

Have a great day!

Digger
Old 05-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

MineralGrey... thank you for the site references. They are all very good and each has certain products that I like. I enjoyed crossroadzdirect in particular. I spoke with a gentleman there yesterday who helped me quite a bit -- very knowledgable and likeable. Of course I haven't received the wheels and tires I ordered yet, but if the quality is even comparable to the service I am sure that I will be overwhelmingly pleased.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me and direct me. This is going to be a fun project... although HOT. New Orleans is heating up quickly and it's work even waxing the car!

Again, I do appreciate it.

Digger
Old 05-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Brent... I can post again! Not sure what happened but it is fixes.

I do have an automatic so I will go with the 4.10 gears, the T-lock and the chip all at the same time. It may take me a month or two but I'll get there. After I get all that finished I'll probably be leaning on you for the next improvement.

I appreciate your sharing the knowledge with me. I'm definitely a fan of this website and referred another GT owner to it last night. Another Mustang fanatic... I think it should be a documented illness!

Anyways... back to waxing the Mustang in this New Orleans heat. I think waxing adds 8-10 HP from aerodynamics, doesn't it? LOL

Digger
Old 05-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #8

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
second question (well, third - but second subject)... my 99 mustang has an automatic traction on it - I'm not sure exactly what it's called. When the tire spins in the rain a little tire lights up on the dash and it's supposed to switch power between wheels in order to achieve better traction(?) Is this correct? How does it work now? How does the T-lock affect this?
You have traction control... the traction control works by applying the brakes and limiting engine power untill traction is gained. T-lok should minimize how often the traction control comes on, because instead of having 1 tire with power youll have both.

the 15" rims are indeed 15x7...im not sure a good tire to use on that size rim...Any choices on wheels yet?? if you go with a 17x8 the size tire you need is 245/45/17.check out some of these guys...
www.v6mustangstuff.com
www.crossroadzdirect.com
www.stangsuspension.com
I belive they also have the gears, etc.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Brent... I can post again! Not sure what happened but it is fixes.

I do have an automatic so I will go with the 4.10 gears, the T-lock and the chip all at the same time. It may take me a month or two but I'll get there. After I get all that finished I'll probably be leaning on you for the next improvement.

I appreciate your sharing the knowledge with me. I'm definitely a fan of this website and referred another GT owner to it last night. Another Mustang fanatic... I think it should be a documented illness!

Anyways... back to waxing the Mustang in this New Orleans heat. I think waxing adds 8-10 HP from aerodynamics, doesn't it? LOL

Digger
np man good luck with modding your car and if you need anymore help just ask

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang