Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Supercharger Newb Questions...

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Please bear with my newbness to the genre. I have a 1999 3.8 Mustang. As anyone with a sportscar, I'm trying to give it a boost in the power area. I've already done the Flowmaster/K&N thing, and was seeking even more power. Well I am an avid Ebay browser and was checking out the 3.8 superchargers. HA, my wife wasn't too happy when she got the email saying that I'd won one of them. So I received the charger in the mail, not really knowing what to expect, although the people on Ebay post that these things will bolt onto any 3.8 Cougar, Tbird, or Stang. So I get it out of the box, and it seems all the pieces are there. I believe it is an Eaton M90 off of an early '90s Tbird. The gentleman I bought it off of said that he had it on his '95 Mustang and it gave him 4-6 lbs of boost or about 35-40hp. I have the lower intake(which I'd assume would bolt to the the top of my engine), the SC, 30# injectors, 75mm MAF sensor, throttlebody, tubes, the innercooler, fuel rail, and the pulleys/bolts. I got the kit for $575 including S/H. Way cheaper than buying a new one.
My brother, who would be putting this thing on, told me to find some instructions. So I started searching, when I came across a couple of these forums. From what I am reading, I would not be able to bolt this SC to my car since the 99's and newer have the split port intake. DOH!! Is this true? I have read that someone here is making an adapter plate to allow a roots type charger to be connected to a split port intake. Maybe I have this all wrong. Since I have the lower part of the intake that bolts to the engine, will it work? Does anyone have any type of instructions on how to go about this as far as the wiring. OMG it looks like a mess. My bro also thinks that I will need to change my radiator and lose my AC. UGGG. The price of power I guess.

I would appreciate any guidance any of you Mustang wizards could give me. You guys seem to be very knowledgable and are probably my only hope to getting this SC on my car.

Thanks in advance!!

Russ......../almost heartbroken wannabe Supercharged V6 Stang driver

See less See more
#2 ·
Russ said:
Please bear with my newbness to the genre. I have a 1999 3.8 Mustang. As anyone with a sportscar, I'm trying to give it a boost in the power area. I've already done the Flowmaster/K&N thing, and was seeking even more power. Well I am an avid Ebay browser and was checking out the 3.8 superchargers. HA, my wife wasn't too happy when she got the email saying that I'd won one of them. So I received the charger in the mail, not really knowing what to expect, although the people on Ebay post that these things will bolt onto any 3.8 Cougar, Tbird, or Stang. So I get it out of the box, and it seems all the pieces are there. I believe it is an Eaton M90 off of an early '90s Tbird. The gentleman I bought it off of said that he had it on his '95 Mustang and it gave him 4-6 lbs of boost or about 35-40hp. I have the lower intake(which I'd assume would bolt to the the top of my engine), the SC, 30# injectors, 75mm MAF sensor, throttlebody, tubes, the innercooler, fuel rail, and the pulleys/bolts. I got the kit for $575 including S/H. Way cheaper than buying a new one.
My brother, who would be putting this thing on, told me to find some instructions. So I started searching, when I came across a couple of these forums. From what I am reading, I would not be able to bolt this SC to my car since the 99's and newer have the split port intake. DOH!! Is this true? I have read that someone here is making an adapter plate to allow a roots type charger to be connected to a split port intake. Maybe I have this all wrong. Since I have the lower part of the intake that bolts to the engine, will it work? Does anyone have any type of instructions on how to go about this as far as the wiring. OMG it looks like a mess. My bro also thinks that I will need to change my radiator and lose my AC. UGGG. The price of power I guess.

I would appreciate any guidance any of you Mustang wizards could give me. You guys seem to be very knowledgable and are probably my only hope to getting this SC on my car.

Thanks in advance!!

Russ......../almost heartbroken wannabe Supercharged V6 Stang driver
Hi and welcome to the site.

Yes someone on here is making a Adapter kit for 99+ and Pre 99 V6 Mustangs for the Eaton Blower.I am pretty sure everything you bought minus the Supercharger cant be used on your car. Tire, the member on here doing this, can tell you more on this.I am guess your going to have to find the lower intake and the rest for a 99+. He is the only person off the top of my head that would know where to get this. He is out of town nowand I dont know when he will get back. So if anyone else has more info on this please let him know.

Brent

#5 ·
Well that's what I was afraid of. I think the person selling it figured that since he had it on his '95 Mustang that it would fit on any. Not many people know that Ford added the split port intake to increase the horsepower in the '99+. Well not that many that don't own one. I am going to call Eaton sometime to see if there's anything they can recommend. Magnuson actually does the work for Eaton out in California.

So you're saying you don't think I can use anything besides the SC due to it won't fit or because of the wiring? I figured the wiring would be a mess. Is there really that much of a difference between the 95 3.8 and the 99 3.8? If the guy had it on his 95, I didn't think it'd be that much hassle getting it on a '99. Darned split ports anywho.

Thanks for responding back. Guess I'll wait patiently to see if anyone "invents" something. ;~p

#6 ·
This is a Article from a guy who has done a mustang install. he even sells a video.

His name on V6Power.net is V6Sprout (Jamie) and here is the article http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10857

I have also posted the article

Corey

Oh well here goes.

So you want to install a roots blower from the thunderbuird Supercoupe on your mustang eh? Will it work? What all is needed? How hard is it? How well will my mustang block hold up? Read on.........

First of all WILL IT WORK?

• YES but its not easy

Second what all is needed?

LOTS! Basically its easier and cheaper to buy the entire SC motor, but if you want to install it on your mustang block here is what you need.

• -Roots blower (DUH
    )
    -SC blower top
    -SC lower intake
    -SC rear blower intake with SC TB
    -Rear intake (from IC to lower intake)
    -SC thermostat housing
    -SC jackshaft pulley bracket
    -SC PS pump bracket
    -SC crank pulley
    -SC water pump and pulley
    -PS pump pulley (you can us your mustang pump)
    -SC tensioner pulleys (all 3)
    -if using the SC block/crank then use the 94-95 neutral balanced dampener with exeter gear, some dampeners off the F150 will work as well.
    -if using the mustang block/crank then use you stock mustang dampener
    -if using the SC block/crank then use the SC flywheel/flexplate
    -if using the mustang block/crank then use the mustang flywheel/flexplate
    -Mustang or SC starter will be fine, they are the same
    -Mustang headers
    -SC heads are better but Mustang heads would probably be fine (SC heads are supposedly a little stronger)
    -SC injectors or eqivilent plus matching MAF
    -89-93 SC came with 30# injectors and 55mm MAF
    -94-95 came with 36# injectors and 70mm MAF
    -all cooling hoses
    -SC thorttle cable
    -SC throttle cable bracket
    -MUSTANG EEC
    -MUSTANG wiring harness
    -wire to lengthen wiring harness connectors
    -extra cooling hoses for custom work
    -MUSTANG timing chain cover or 94-95 SC timing chain cover
    -MUSTANG crank sensor
    -MUSTANG or SC alt will work, MUSATNG better sicne it has the extra connect on it, but will work without it for the SC alt, need to change pulleys if using the Mustang Alt. I believe the Mustang alt is more powerful as well, not exactly sure.
    -SC AC compressor
    -custom AC lines
    -custom air inlet needed
    -SC intercooler should work, not sure how well the SC intercooler tubes will clear but they should
    or use a custom IC setup like me

-Mustang motor mounts
    -SC valve covers
    -Mustang DIS module, don't need the SC one.
    -SC oil cooler (not needed but good to have)
    -Mustng rad will work, but if using the SC IC then might be easier to us ethe SC rad its a little smaller though but works for the SC guys fine.
    -Major tuning
    -SC coil pack bracket (mustang coil pack should work but I have the SC coil pack as well)

Now, how hard it is?

Well that all depends, if you have the complete motor it will be a lot easier, basically just drop the motor in and customise the wiring and hoses and a few other things. Finding all the needed parts is the hard part, where as a complete motor has everything you need.

A lot of custom work is needed to get everything hooked up, I had to make custon cooling hoses where the heater core is, I had to cut the throttel cable bracket to clear the hoses so I could not use the cruise control cable, so no cruise. The EGR needed to be deleted sicne there is very little room where it hooks up, the engien is very close to the firewall, I may try and get it to work with customising the EGR just for emissions, not sure yet. You will also need a very good tune to make this setup work, trust me, I have been there.
You will need to make a custom air inlet from the airfilter to the TB, thats not too hard, also if using a custom IC setup, then thats all got to be made as well, piping, brackets IC etc. The SC motor has 2 extra sensors they are the knock sensor and oil level sensor, we can live without these, and besides our mustang harness will not plug into them so we can't sue them anyways, all other sensors will work, just need to lengthen wires to reach them. With my custom IC setup I had to moive my battery to the trunk as well, but if you use the stock SC IC then you'll be fine.

How will my mustang block hold up?

Well the SC came with a stronger crank, pistons and rods to handle the extra power. The SC block is also stronger. The mustang block has proven itself to be fairly strong as well, no one has broken one yet at least. No one really knows for sure how long the mustang pistons and rods and crank will hold up to the roots setup, I have been told that the rings would be the first to go, the mustang has a higher compression ratio, but something about the location of the ringlands or something is better ont he SC pistons, don't wuote me on that, its hearsay right now. Stock SC compression is 8.5:1, I am running 9:1 with forged pistons in my setup. I have heard about guys even running above 10:1 with the roots blower but I don't think they push their motors too hard either, more for show.

I have also heard of guys runing 4.2 SC motors, with no problems, except for one guy who keeps busting cranks, SC cranks at that, I think his problem lies elsewhere though

#7 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the same supercharger I got on Ebay. This is one of a few that are up there now. You can see the intake that the SC is sitting on. Here are a couple quotes from Ebay SC sellers that led me to believe I could install on my Mustang:

1.) This supercharger will fit 1989 thru 1993 Thunderbird Supercoupes and 1989 and 1990 supercharged Mercury Cougar XR-7's. This setup should also fit with minor modifications most Ford late model 3.8 liter V6 engines. But it is best suited for the Supercoupes and I believe all 1994 and up Mustang 3.8 liter V6's. The only difference is that the SC block is a little more heavy duty (thicker) that the standard 3.8 liter block.

2.) You are getting a Bolt on Kit that will apply to any ford 3.8 liter mustang, thunderbird, or cougar. This kit comes parts in GREAT condition and includes:

SUPERCHARGER--THROTTLE BODY--BELT--BRACKETS--PULLEY--This will fit your 3.8 liter mustang, thunderbird, or cougar and you will be FASTER than ANY 5.9 and 4.6 Mustang GT at the track!

UGGGGGG. Why must it be difficult? LOL, darn my luck. These pics are basically what I got. Well and the 2 huge bracket thingies, the fuel rail, pulleys, tensioners, bolts, and #30 injectors. I put one bracket in place and can see where the alternator would bolt on. Not too sure about the other bracket tho. They are pretty big.( just tossed in pics of the brackets i have. the link above had the pics ;-p)

Thanks for the explaination, but I don't really understand all the parts in that list. Obviously I'm probably in over my head.:cry: I'll probably just wait until they come out with an adapter that allows the charger to bolt onto my intake. Even then, I wonder how much mod'ing we'll need to do.

Attachments

#8 ·
Russ said:
Here are some pics of the same supercharger I got on Ebay. This is one of a few that are up there now. You can see the intake that the SC is sitting on. Here are a couple quotes from Ebay SC sellers that led me to believe I could install on my Mustang:

1.) This supercharger will fit 1989 thru 1993 Thunderbird Supercoupes and 1989 and 1990 supercharged Mercury Cougar XR-7's. This setup should also fit with minor modifications most Ford late model 3.8 liter V6 engines. But it is best suited for the Supercoupes and I believe all 1994 and up Mustang 3.8 liter V6's. The only difference is that the SC block is a little more heavy duty (thicker) that the standard 3.8 liter block.

2.) You are getting a Bolt on Kit that will apply to any ford 3.8 liter mustang, thunderbird, or cougar. This kit comes parts in GREAT condition and includes:

SUPERCHARGER--THROTTLE BODY--BELT--BRACKETS--PULLEY--This will fit your 3.8 liter mustang, thunderbird, or cougar and you will be FASTER than ANY 5.9 and 4.6 Mustang GT at the track!

UGGGGGG. Why must it be difficult? LOL, darn my luck. These pics are basically what I got. Well and the 2 huge bracket thingies, the fuel rail, pulleys, tensioners, bolts, and #30 injectors. I put one bracket in place and can see where the alternator would bolt on. Not too sure about the other bracket tho. They are pretty big.( just tossed in pics of the brackets i have. the link above had the pics ;-p)

Thanks for the explaination, but I don't really understand all the parts in that list. Obviously I'm probably in over my head.:cry: I'll probably just wait until they come out with an adapter that allows the charger to bolt onto my intake. Even then, I wonder how much mod'ing we'll need to do.
Where are you located at?

#9 ·
Russ said:

The list consist of everything you will need to make it work. like the article said it would be better to have a SC motor. I will add I was going to do this originally but in reality the 3.8 stang engine is not designed for the high pressures of a roots type blower. You really need froged rods and pistons for longivity. There are alot more pressures imposed on a roots blower over a centrifical type Blower like a Vortech or ProCharger. The SC motor has a forged rotating assembly.

#12 ·
I am in Kent, Ohio. I actually called Morana racing in Canada today. The tech there told me that there is basically no way to put an Eaton SC on a 99+ Stang unless you have the Tbird heads. I don't quite understand what the difference is between the heads but oh well. He also said that they are working on something but it requires the supercharger to be bolted on upside down for the split port intakes. Something to do with the blow vs suck action of the SC. He said I'd have to also change out my computer since the mustang computer would have no idea how to use the charger.

I find all of this very odd since the guy in the link above has pictures with an Eaton on his car. I need to go back and reread what he'd done to his car, but that's a lot of damn work to make this thing work. Especially since a lot of people are saying the stock block may not even be strong enough to handle the SC for a long period of time.

I'm kind of disgruntled at the people selling their SC's on ebay that are leading everyone to believe that they work on all 3.8 engines, when that is not true......to an extent. I was told that if I put my SC back on ebay to include that it's for 3.8 engines prior to 1999. In 99, as all of you know, Ford started using the split port intake which cancels out the ability to use the Eaton.

All I gotta say is damn. I shoulda done my homework then spent the $$.

I've also seen people say someone has an intake for 99 and up 3.8 engines but I have yet to see it. I'd rather wait and see if something pops up than to try to save for a centrifugal type sc. Instant power is what we need.

We'll see what the future holds, and I'll keep you all in the loop if I find out anything from any of the boards I'm monitoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.