Engine Starting... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Engine Starting...

Is it normal for the engine to take about 2-3 seconds to turn over? Or is it a sign of my battery wearing out or anything else? Im a newbie so im just tryin to learn, thanks for anyone that has enough patience for me.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Check for corrosion on your battery terminals first, if there is any, clean them up good and see if that helps, if it does then that might be your only trouble. I could also be the starter solenoid gone bad. I recently had to replace that on my Ranger. It could be the battery, but you may want to check these little things first, also if you can check it, check the water in your battery to see if its low.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

My Ranger is a 95, I bought it new, that battery came with it, still going strong, over 75,000 miles on it.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Yea there is corrosion on the battery, how might I go by cleaning that up? certainly just not wiping it off, correct? And also a good thing to hear about that ranger battery, may I ask what kind it is? I got my Mustang not too long ago it has about 61,400 miles on it, but im not sure if the battery has been changed,and I did buy from the original owner, it dosent look its been changed though cause theres quite a bit of corrosion on it, its just I dont know how to clean it up and I dont want to try and guess until I get a sure way of doing it. Thanks again man.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 05-31-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
my fav way to clean corrosion from terminals is Coca-Cola. take some coke in a cup u wont wanna drink out of and dip the terminals (1 at a time) in there. itll say, "Fizz." then when it stops, take it out. Like new!

edit: shrink that sig... :thumbs2:
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Great, thanks for the tip, ill do it that way then. Thanks!!! Oh and I did resize it down to size, hopefully its small enough!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 05-31-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sig picture needs to be about the size of mine. Or White stangs. Baking Soda and water will work as good if you have it. Also scrape the inside of them with a knife or use a small wire brush on them. Good luck! Same for the battery terminals themselves, you can also put a light coat of oil of some kind on them after you put it all back together this will slow down future corrosion. Oh, the battery in my Ranger is the factory Motorcraft one that was put in it on the assembly line.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can get a wirebrush battery terminal cleaner at Autozone for like two bucks. It goes over the battery terminals and inside the connectors and scrapes them off. Works great.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yep, those are a good tool to have around, and like Laser02 said, they aren't expensive.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
yep, tools are good too. but i only use them when i have to.

my sig is a little large... might work on that sometime
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang