Water in Exhuast? And gear shift? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Water in Exhuast? And gear shift?

Hey guys, ive noticed that my exhaust is leakin some water. I dont know if its possible for water to get in the exhaust system from sitting still for a long time, because the mustang did sit still for a while from the person I bought it from, I would guess 4-5 months, without being touched. now im wondering if its just like condensation or something, or if theres something leaking from the engine somehow into my exhaust or anything of that sort. Also when my engine is cold, (85F) and I start my mustang and it idle at about 1300 and slowly goes down, but I cant shift the gear shift, for about 25 seconds or so, I dont know if thats normal or not, meaning I cannot press the thumb button in to shift, once it idles down to 1000 or below I can then shift, But I just wanna know if thats the normal procedure for the mustang. Its a 98. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
If the water dripping from the exhaust goes away once the engine heats up, then its probably just condensation in the exhaust system, generally it takes a mile or two to heat the system enough to "burn off" the condesation in the exhaust system, after that this should stop. People that drive a lot of short distance trips in their cars often have problems with premature exhaust system rust for this reason. They don't get it heated enough to get rid of the condensation and it causes rusting.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
What if you spray your engine down with water, can water get back into the exhaust system for a while? Because I drove it around my block a couple times when I noticed it was leaking water (about 2 miles around the block twice) and I came back home and let her run and looked and it wasent leaking anymore. Then I decided to give the engine is little spray down and it started again, But I havent driven around yet, Will reving the engine help? Because thats what I did earlier today and when I reved to about 4300 rpms and went back to look it sprayed quite a bit of water.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I've always heard that water from the exhaust is just condensation, no worries. I'm not for sure about that though, listen to these other guys who know much more than I do.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Spraying the engine down will not get into the exhaust. There is a ordinary amount of water that will come out the tailpipes when you first start up especially during the time it gets colder at night and humidity will form inside the exhaust system.This is normal

Now if you have a blown gasket you will usually not start easy, steam continues out exhaust 15 minutes after driving and have a radiator fluid smell. Also the radiator will require frenquent fill ups.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Why would you spray down the engine????????. That is doing nothing!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Great guys, thanks for all the help and information!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
That's just the normal water from the air in your exhaust, no worries there. As for the tranny part, that seems fishy. Are you pressing in the brake pedal when you try to shift from Park? I would take it to a transmission place, and let them do a eval on it. Make sure its a free eval though.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Rob, ill get that done soon!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 06-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

my 98 had the same problem with the tranny. I think it had something to do with the spring in the button and not the tranny. Don't really remember because by the time it started pissing me off, I was planning on getting the evo, so I didnt care much about the stang.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
I was planning on getting the evo, so I didnt care much about the stang.
BROTHER COREY IS GONNA START WATCHING YOU MONKEY BOY!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Uh oh Monkey, I think Corey got a new hose he wants to break in man, LOL!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

He should have never said that he "Didn't care much about the stang"

THAT IS BLASEPHEMY BY GOD !!!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

MOOOOOOO if you were getting a new car you wouldnt care so much about the old one either
Old 06-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
MOOOOOOO if you were getting a new car you wouldnt care so much about the old one either
But like Corey said, that's just wrong, I think ou should be suspended from this site and sent to your room so you can think about what you're saying. If this was 20 years ago, I'd order you spanked by a man so you wouldn't enjoy it, but in this day and age, you receive a time out!!! Now go to your room mister!!!

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i could be wrong here but when you first turn on your engine it's suppossed to rev around 1300rpm...that's the electronic or electric choke, and i think the ecu (trans or engine) doesn't let you shift until the rpm drops closer to normal idle.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Justang
water is a byproduct of the combustion.

265rwhp 280rwtq
Justang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang