need help deciding which is better - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 AM   #1

Region: Arizona
need help deciding which is better

i have a 97 v6 mustang, i am working on getting the engine all running smoothly before i spend major money on anything else for apperence such as rims... etc. ok so once i do get the engine running smoothly i have plans for adding either a turbo charger or super charger and im not sure which to get. i want my stang to sound mean i kno its a v6 but im gunna try and get it to full potential. i will add pics of wat ive already done later this week. i have however added dual 40's flowmasters, il admit it they sound bad ***. i am new to owning a mustang so any advise/help is greatly appreciated. =)
Skyes97Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: need help deciding which is better

you are going to get more HP from the turbo, but my opinion if you want sound go with the super. I havent heard any decent sounding mustangs with turbos, but the supercharged mustangs sound great.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its an even fire motor so it will never sound mean, just less like a pissed off bumble bee. Ive heard cam'ed v6s that do sound much much better than they did stock with exhaust but its still even fire so mellow toned is the way to go, not loud and annoying.

Turbo will ALWAYS make more power on your car, they just cost more. Dont put one on the car unless you can pay to have the engine rebuilt as its a risk you have to take especially if your car is high mileage. The 3.8 doesnt have forged internals and wont take to much boost. You can make 350rwhp on 7psi or so~ with a turbo.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

i went through this same descion about a year ago.
Heres what i figured out. Yes a turbo means more hrwp, but that also basically means more top end speed. with a supercharger there is little or no lag in your boost and you have the power all the time bascially.

Also if you care about the way your car sounds, then a turbo will deff give it a more tuner sound and a supercharger will give it a more beffy muscle sound.

so unless your going to drag your car i suggest supercharger!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

A turbo plays a bit nicer on your internals so if you are keeping the stock bottom end then it is a good way to go.

I agree with Ken here that the supercharger does sound much better in general. But if you are looking for the most power, the turbo will get you there.

The supercharger will run you less for parts and labor like was mentioned as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
A turbo plays a bit nicer on your internals so if you are keeping the stock bottom end then it is a good way to go.

I agree with Ken here that the supercharger does sound much better in general. But if you are looking for the most power, the turbo will get you there.

The supercharger will run you less for parts and labor like was mentioned as well.

Yep like the man said, supercharger sounds good!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #7

ok so i think mostly everybody says go wit supercharger, anybody have any advise on which to get, well im assuming there are different kinds, i was thinking of getting a belt driven supercharger, it would be the easiest to install. is there anything i should replace b4 getting a sc?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The only kind of supercharge that exist are belt driven

I would look into the vortech kits.

As for replacements, you are going to need some supporting mods like injectors and such....but I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. Someone else may chime in with that info for now.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

o i thought there may have been another kind of sc other than belt driven... ok vortech kits it is
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

not that im against vortech, but my procharger gives out more boost then the vortech would have. then again we have diffrent year cars.
Also you want to check if the supercharger your getting is self lubricating or not. basically that means that the supercharger either runs on it own oil or uses the cars oil. if it used the cars oil then you might have to fabricate a line for it. A self lubricating is so much easier to install.

also check to see if you get a intercoller with the kit. that baisically turns the outside are into cold air before it hits your engine. it helps alot. they usally come with a kit.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

All vortechs require a line to the oil pan and are not self lubricating. There is no fabbing, just drilling and taping a hole in the pan. The kit comes with all the lines to run.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
All vortechs require a line to the oil pan and are not self lubricating. There is no fabbing, just drilling and taping a hole in the pan. The kit comes with all the lines to run.
nah man they caught on to people wanting the self lubricating ones. there new model is also self lubricating.

About running that line, your advice is better then mine. i only saw one person do it and he had a hard time. Then again i think you have more experience then alot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang