Help!Check engine light on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Help!Check engine light on

Hey i just was browseing and saw how helpful everyone has been on this forum. i hope you can help me.

first of all i my v6 05 mustang is supercharged with intercooler, new trottle body, with true dual exhaust and a posi rear. The problem started when i put in Long tube headers, took out the cats and put on super 40 flowmasters. Ive had the car back one day and as i was driving on small streets (it was fine on highways) the check engine light came on.

so i have a few questions.
1) should i be concerned with the integrity of my engine. the air fuel ratio according to the dyno chart sits between 12-13
2) is this just basically because i removed my cats?
3) would the car drive fine if i didnt do anything to remove the check engine light?

i am going back to the shop to get it diagnosts on friday. But i wanted everyones vast knowledge.

thank you!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Help!Check engine light on

If you did not make an adjustment in your tune for the removal of the cats, then yes, it is just because you removed your cats. You need to disable the rear O2 sensors in order to prevent the check engine light from coming on.

Your A/F needs to be lower. 12:1 is about as high as you want to run on a boosted application. If you are getting up to 12.5:1 or more, you are starting to really push the boundries on safety.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
If you did not make an adjustment in your tune for the removal of the cats, then yes, it is just because you removed your cats. You need to disable the rear O2 sensors in order to prevent the check engine light from coming on.

Your A/F needs to be lower. 12:1 is about as high as you want to run on a boosted application. If you are getting up to 12.5:1 or more, you are starting to really push the boundries on safety.
so you think i should get that number lower? The lower it is the richer the car is, correct?

i did have it tuned after i removed the cats and they turned off the rear banks of the o2 sensors. you think my cars running too lean? This is the tune that somone put in. he specializes in this and custom tuned it useing a dyno.

please tell me what you think so i can talk to him about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

If he disabled it in your tune, then you should be fine with the O2's.

If your A/F is above 12, it really should come down. Yes, the lower it is the richer the car is...but 12+:1 is pushing it on 93 octane. Now, if you are running higher octane than 93 or 94....then you are fine.

What did he use to tune your car with? Was it a hand held tuner like an SCT or Diablo or something? If so, you should be able to go out to your car and read the trouble code and we can tell you exactly what is wrong.

or, you can stop at any autozone, advanced auto, oreilly's, etc and they can read the codes for you.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If he disabled it in your tune, then you should be fine with the O2's.

If your A/F is above 12, it really should come down. Yes, the lower it is the richer the car is...but 12+:1 is pushing it on 93 octane. Now, if you are running higher octane than 93 or 94....then you are fine.

What did he use to tune your car with? Was it a hand held tuner like an SCT or Diablo or something? If so, you should be able to go out to your car and read the trouble code and we can tell you exactly what is wrong.

or, you can stop at any autozone, advanced auto, oreilly's, etc and they can read the codes for you.

Thank you so much for the info. He said he used somthing called a snipper. i have a diablo and a SCT tuner, i got them when i did my last few additions.

i think he did this himself on a laptop. unfortunetly i wasnt there and he wasnt there when i picked up my car last night. Should i be worried about my engine if he doesnt lower it to like 11?

Also i typically run like 94 or 95 octane. i put a octane booster almost every time i pump gas in. It says it boosts it 6 numbers but i never buy into that lol
Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Octane booster, unless it is Octanium or Torco, is nothing more than adding another pint of fluid into your tank and removing extra money from your wallet.

You don't need to drop it down to 11....but if it is getting close to 13 or above 12.5 really, you should as him to bring it down a little bit closer to 12:1 for you...specially as a daily driver type vehicle. You are just a bad tank of gas and a heavy foot away from things going bad quick if you run upwards of 13:1. If your curve is just barely above 12:1, and doesn't really go above 12.5:1, then I wouldn't worry about it. That could be a matter of where the sensor was placed when he made the reading and you should be fine. But if you are above 12.5:1 for any significant amount of time...get that fixed.

If you already have an SCT, you can plug it in and read your trouble code yourself...go do that and then post it up and we can tell you what the issue is. It doesn't matter that the car wasn't tuned by the SCT as it will work on any ODBII car anytime. Go get your code(s) and post it up.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Post Re: Help!Check engine light on

Quote:
Octane booster, unless it is Octanium or Torco, is nothing more than adding another pint of fluid into your tank and removing extra money from your wallet.

You don't need to drop it down to 11....but if it is getting close to 13 or above 12.5 really, you should as him to bring it down a little bit closer to 12:1 for you...specially as a daily driver type vehicle. You are just a bad tank of gas and a heavy foot away from things going bad quick if you run upwards of 13:1. If your curve is just barely above 12:1, and doesn't really go above 12.5:1, then I wouldn't worry about it. That could be a matter of where the sensor was placed when he made the reading and you should be fine. But if you are above 12.5:1 for any significant amount of time...get that fixed.

If you already have an SCT, you can plug it in and read your trouble code yourself...go do that and then post it up and we can tell you what the issue is. It doesn't matter that the car wasn't tuned by the SCT as it will work on any ODBII car anytime. Go get your code(s) and post it up.

you are truely awsome.
i just spoke to the guy and he basically said what you said about octane booster. he said its garbage and is says that might be one reason why the check engine light came on. he said he will go over with me on friday when i see him. he will check the codes.

I will write them down and let you know. maybe this can be help to somone else too!

Thanks again! ill be driving it as is for next day so lets hope its all good!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It will be all fine and dandy really. The booster may have burned up one of your front O2's...or you just have a major leak somewhere relating to the headers...like the EGR system or something.

But like I Said, if you have any hand held in your posession, you can read your own codes. it only takes a couple minutes. Or, if you pass an autozone anywhere in your travels they can read them for you. We can probably solve your problem before tomorrow with the codes.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you again. I guess ill look for you guys next time in lake george for the Big show in september.

i havent missed it in last 2 years! best show ever!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ Stick around the site...We will definitely arrange to meet up with you. Last year was the first time I went in the last 4 years. I had gone from 2001-2004...but missed it after moving to Baton Rouge in 2004. Last year was my first chance back...and Brents first time.

We can all meet up and cruise and get some dinner. I'm hoping a good turnout from the site this time...assuming gas doesn't skyrocket again.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I will deff be there no matter what the gas costs lol To be honest i have let to go to a show that is as much fun! In ny i go to alot of them. They usally turn into tuner fests and then i just drive away hahaha.

we i would love to meet up man. Hopefully by then i can aquire a used 07 cobra. Then we can talk about that lol I do love my V6 but i only make 316 to the rear wheels. Not enough for me.

i will deff stay on these boards. Ull see me log in for work frequently! Thanks again for all the help and i hope that i can help some guys out their issues too.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just so i can help others i wanted to let everyone know that i went back to my shop last friday. THe code the popped up was a weird one. The code basically was about throttle body response, my mechanic says that it has to do with voltage and perphaps it didnt read the voltage right. we called snipper, they are the ones who sent the tune and they said clear it and if it happens again well take care of it. its been 4 days now and no light popped up so it seems all good.

back to burning rubber!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

What was the code number? Without that, it doesn't help others out much as they won't be able to tie it to a DTC code.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What was the code number? Without that, it doesn't help others out much as they won't be able to tie it to a DTC code.
dam it i wrote it down at home. ill post it up later. sorry about that. i want to be the best help i can be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
check engine