acouple of ? on v6 mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
acouple of ? on v6 mods

i have a 2003 v6.i only have a catback exhaust on rite now.im lookin for some upgrades but nothin like a strip or race car.im just lookin to add some mods.

1.would shorties be ok or should i go with longtubes

2.cai brand really matter

3.h pipe or x pipe

4.udp is it really hard to put in and is it worth it

just lookin for some help and remeber just a street car.
mustang0386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: acouple of ? on v6 mods

Longtubes.
Doesnt matter on brand.
The x pipe is a raspier sound, so thats up to you.
Not to hard to put on but not really worth the gains.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang0386 View Post
i have a 2003 v6.i only have a catback exhaust on rite now.im lookin for some upgrades but nothin like a strip or race car.im just lookin to add some mods.

3.h pipe or x pipe

1. understand one thing, shorty headers will give you more lower end torque from my experience. However long tubes sound better and give you more horses in higher rpms. I still think long tubes are better. I just got them myself, i bought the kooks long tube headers stainless steel. They go for like 1500 but you can get them from Stage3motorsports.com for 590! so go look for them now lol
2. cai doesnt really matter. i personally like flowmasters. However they are ridiculously loud. Basaani is been known to give a deep sound as well as borla. Not a fan of magnaflow.
3. x pipe is deff the way to go. no debate on that.
4. udp does deff help. it is one of the first steps to moding. unfortunetly i didnt know this 3 years ago and i kinda skipped that step. But i have been told that it is essential.

good luck. if you need help with parts let me know. maybe i can help.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:

3.h pipe or x pipe

go with long tubes. shorties dont do crap from experience! your top end will definately be improved. the shorties wont give any hp or tq gains on our car whatsoever. not to mention, they sound amazing! if youre worried about the lost low end tq, get some gears.

cai doesnt really matter. but id stay away from the ebay ones. they seem to be hit or miss at coming with all the parts and like to fall apart. get a cheap upr or american muscle one for around $70.

if you do the long tubes, i dont believe they make the x-pipe anymore so youd have to get it custom made. i really like the h down low for a more v8 grumble.

i dynoed the pulley and got 8rwhp and 8rwtq across the powerband with peak gains of 1rwhp and 4rwtq i believe. so thats up to you if its worth it, but it does what it claims.

*also, since you know youre upgrading both headers and mid-pipe now, go with the longtubes. you wont regret it.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
go with long tubes. shorties dont do crap from experience! your top end will definately be improved. the shorties wont give any hp or tq gains on our car whatsoever. not to mention, they sound amazing! if youre worried about the lost low end tq, get some gears.

cai doesnt really matter. but id stay away from the ebay ones. they seem to be hit or miss at coming with all the parts and like to fall apart. get a cheap upr or american muscle one for around $70.

if you do the long tubes, i dont believe they make the x-pipe anymore so youd have to get it custom made. i really like the h down low for a more v8 grumble.

i dynoed the pulley and got 8rwhp and 8rwtq across the powerband with peak gains of 1rwhp and 4rwtq i believe. so thats up to you if its worth it, but it does what it claims.

There u have it. I didn't know they don't make x pipes anymore. I had mine custom made anyway.

*also, since you know youre upgrading both headers and mid-pipe now, go with the longtubes. you wont regret it.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

also, if you want, i have the guys number where i got my lt's and o/r h-pipe from. he is a rep from mac and got both for under $400!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

ok.thanks everbody.also should i go with pacesetter or mac for headers.i saw the pacesetter for 199.is there anything special they need to be done.
mustang0386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok.thanks everbody.also should i go with pacesetter or mac for headers.i saw the pacesetter for 199.is there anything special they need to be done.
go with mac. pacesetter is garbage.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Either MAC, BBK, or KOOKS. Everything else sucks.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Either MAC, BBK, or KOOKS. Everything else sucks.
as far as i know, they dont sell bbk anymore and kooks doesnt make a set for our v6 mustangs. so youre left between mac and pacesetter.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

In that case Mac.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

MAC's are the only LT's worth buying, and go ahead and spend the extra money on the ceramic coating. Shorties on a 3.8 are basically stock manifolds, so they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for performance.

Any CAI will work, they all do the same for performance, although a brand name one will probably give you fewer issues than an EBAY special.

MAC makes an O/R h-pipe, nobody makes a catted h-pipe anymore, so if you need cats, just buy the MAC H-pipe and have some free-flow cats welded in. You will also need to get a GT catback, I recommend Magnaflow (better performance), but a lot of people like Flowmaster (a little better sound). If you can't drop the cash for a new catback, a take-off GT catback will work, but you need to buy the GT Hangers for the passenger side and the tips.

A UPD will help, and for late 01+ it's over $200 since it comes with a new damper. It's best to install using an impact and of course a torque wrench. You'll also need a pulley puller. It can be done by hand, it's just a bit of a PITA.

Another good mod is either buying a t-lok or upgrading to an 8.8, if you have a stick go with some 3.73's and 4.10's for an auto. You'll also do well to invest in a good tuner, I personally prefer SCT.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang