synthetic vs regular motor oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
synthetic vs regular motor oil

Here is something to think about . The saying you should not switch brands of motor oils was true at one time. Some Oil companies used wax based products in the oil to make it viscous (thicker). Not a good thing!!! So changing it around 3000 or so miles is good and wise.

The reason for changing non-synthetic oil is it breaks down do to heat and gets contaminated with acids and ash from the residue that gets by the rings during combustion. These contaminates will corrode and etch the machined surfaces in the engine and cause bearing failure and premature wear.

Synthetic oil is a bit different it does not break down. Originally developed for jet engines that produce very high temps and spin at 30,000 rpm's or better, standard oil would not do. Some of the benefits is it really does not break down so in jet engines you dont change the oil unless water gets in it. Automobiles on the other hand still have contaminates from combustion so you have change it. I will point out though, several boat and car racers I know do not change the oil, only change the filter. I dont recommend it but there are people who swear by it. I change my synthetic every 7000 miles, if you change it every 3000 miles or so you are wasting oil. But hey its your money and your right to change your oil as much as you want. There is no major difference in synthetic oil so any brand is OK to use. For me I prefer Castrol but thats just me.

Corey

Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Alot of people either wait till the oil turns to tar or they change it at 3000 miles both need there head examined hahahahahahaahhaah : :

Corey
Old 07-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Alot of people either wait till the oil turns to tar or they change it at 3000 miles both need there head examined hahahahahahaahhaah
What's wrong with changing it at 3k??????
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hey the fact is it is just unneccessary unless you use crappy oil that is either recycled or has wax in it you are throwing your money away !!!!!!!

And if you are not using Synthetic !!!! SHAME ON YOU !!!! you should treat you car better hahahahhahahahahaha

Corey
Old 07-15-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
If you are running standared motor oil, not a thing, I do it myself with standard oil, as a matter of fact, 2500 - 3000 miles, if you are running synthetics its just foolish and a waste of good oil. The stuff will last for 5000 to 6000 miles and be just as good as it was at 3000.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #6

nothing wrong in terms of causing any problems. Just wrong in the sense that it's a waste of time and money. 6k mile changes for a synth is very frequent. Of course, depends on how fast your car is loading the oil with contaminants and how well your oil filter is working. I think the oil filter is the weak link and I don't think they last much more than 6k, but that's just speculation on my part

Mods: cai, raised gas pedal, window tint, lowered wipers :)
Waiting Install: intake spacer, Mach I Tokico shocks/struts, Ford C springs
On Order: udp
Planned: rear sway bar, dual GT take-off exhaust, Mach I chin spoiler
Maybe: 1.8rr, subframe connectors, panhard bar, aluminum drive shaft, 17" wheels, 3.73 gears/tlok or 8.8" swap, f2 fordchip or dynotune - or just wait and trade this 'stang in for a 2006 model
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually with fuel injected cars that meter fuel better and oil is bettter the need for changing oil every 3000 miles is not neccessary. Michelin uses fleets of cars that alll they do is drive around testing tires in the real world and they change it every 4000 to 4500 miles with no difference in wear on the engine.

But hey it is a personal thing some people just do it like there parents did just back in the 60 and 70 some of the oil out there was crap even from the big oil companies putting wax in the oil to make it viscous like Quaker State.

Corey
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
CRAP, I should reallr have read the thread more closely.

Yes, I use standard Oil in my car, and I change it at 2700 to 3000. I can get synthetic, but It's damn near 4 times as expensive for only double the life of the oil. All in all, you're still paying twice as much.

Besides, I like getting my hands dirty more often than every 6000 miles
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I think the advantage comes in less wear on your engine with synthetics, I am a very recent convert to synthetics, only in the last year or so, I used Havoline and Castrol standard oils for years, or shall we say decades, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster
I think the oil filter is the weak link and I don't think they last much more than 6k, but that's just speculation on my part
Actually I have brought that up in the past. I have friends of mine who race cars and boats and they never change the oil. They use synthetic oil and all they do is change the filter every 5000 miles I dont do that but alot do

Corey
Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM   #11

theoretically, you can go tens of thousands of miles before changing a good synth. But what you have to do is get a sample of your oil tested for contaminants every so many thousand miles. You really only have to change the oil when it tests past a certain level of contaminants. But practically, it seems that would be a bigger PIA. Not sure how it comes out cost-wise, if the savings on all those oil changes would pay for the tests. Doubt it

here's an interesting little article:
http://www.rivercitycorvetteclubsacramento.org/whichoilforyourc5.htm

Maybe: 1.8rr, subframe connectors, panhard bar, aluminum drive shaft, 17" wheels, 3.73 gears/tlok or 8.8" swap, f2 fordchip or dynotune - or just wait and trade this 'stang in for a 2006 model
Old 07-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I do SOAP ( spectrometric oil analysis program) sampling at work and analyze the results for Aircraft and automobiles. The fact is new oils just are more stable and dont loose there viscosity as quick. Synthetics dont loose viscosity.

Corey
Old 07-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #13

just found these articles - excellent. Maybe I will go longer between changes!

Synthetic Engine Oil - Superior In Every Way:
http://www.npinc.com/0209synoil.pdf

Facts About Engine Oil And A 3,000 Mile Change Part I
http://www.npinc.com/0205oilfacts.pdf

Facts About Engine Oil And A 3,000 Mile Change Part II
http://www.npinc.com/0206oilfactsp2.pdf

Facts About Engine Oil And A 3,000 Mile Change Part III
http://www.npinc.com/0207oilfactsp3.pdf

Old 07-21-2003, 12:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASSEMbler
Change from normal to synthetic

You require any special flushing or other process? Or do I change like normal and then use synth?
ASSEMbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:43 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Just do a normal oil change to go thru synthetic. I am not a big fan of motor flush stuff.

Corey

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang