synthetic oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question synthetic oil

going to switch to synthetic oil and would like to know every how often would i have to change the oil would i have to get a better oil filter thanks in advance
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Synthetic oils are more stable than convential oils. The reason you change your oil is because it loses it's characteristics and minerals that are added to help protect your engine. Over time and from usage they dissolve. Oil also gathers up dirt and un-burnt fuel. Have you ever noticed when you changed you oil how black it gets? That's from carbon deposits(dirt), and fuel. Finally, you can take convential oil up to about 250* before it loses it's viscosity, and synthetics, you can go up to about 300*. And to finally answer your questions. I would change your oil about every 5000 miles, and I would use a good filter. Try to stay away from the Fram filters, The orange one provides minimal protection, but their other products will be fine. K&N make good oil filters and Wicks? sp? make a very good filter. You can get a Wicks? from NAPA.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

how much are those filters fram is like 5 bucks for the filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

like 10 bucks at the most. Remember oil is the blood of the engine. Would you have have a good heart or a heart that will just do.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

damn so its gonna be like 30 bucks every time i change the oil
Old 07-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ya, pretty much. You can go with a synthetic blend if that's too steep. You just need to change the oil about 1000 miles earlier. You can get 5qts for about 10 bucks.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i could afford it but its just expensive i was thinking mobile 1what do u reccomend
Old 07-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
run mobile 1 and a ford oil filter and be done with it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ford oil filter would be motor craft. i am going to do it on my sisters car too but she has a nissan just run a nissan filter for her car too?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i just use a ford filter works good one of the best for the money, dont spend the tons more for a mobile 1 filter when it doesnt really matter that much.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to Smokedya95stang
there's no great oil filter out there.
They are all the same damn thing basically.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:10 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
ive been sticking with the Puroilator Pure 1 filters
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry guys... I saw this thread and I just had to put in my 2 cents worth.

I work an awful lot with marine engines -- outboard in particular. Synthetic oil is worth every penny in my field. I have literally seen gearcases fill up with salt water due to a bad seal and, with synthetic, no damage was done to the gears or the shaft getting it back to dock. Remember, an outboard engine is going to run at 3,500 rpm's just cruising and it's running with resistance from the water -- lotsa heat going through a gear that is tops 4 1/2" in diameter.

Synthetic also has an innate ability to coat the parts and maintain viscosity in even the worse conditions. I would strongly suggest from my experience that, for the few dollars difference every 3,000 - 5,000 miles, synthetic is one of the very best things that you can do for the engine. I am not a chemist by any means, but many of the OEM's oils come from St. Rose Louisiana just a few miles from me. Each supplier engineers their own mixture and it is amazing what a huge difference there is between one brand an another coming from the same plant. All meet certain minimum standards, but the top brands are much more consistent with much tighter tolerances. Finally, full synthetics will not "age" as quickly as regular oils so, if your letting your car sit during the week, you will have a more consistent fluid with synthetic three months down the line than you will with standard oil.

As for the filters, there are two main suppliers that set the standard. Champion, which manufactures for some of the OEM's, and WIX. Both of them do a fantastic job. The media (the filtering stuff) that both of these companies use is really a tough standard to meet trying to source from anywhere else. By all means stay away from off-brands many of which are sourced from China. They may look the same but they have not developed a consistent method of matching Champion or Wix yet.

So, the bottom line from my experience is PLEASE use synthetic and either a Champion (OEM) or WIX filter. The few extra dollars are coating every major part in the engine.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ine=1089064571
Digger
1999 3.8V6 Convertible in Progress.
Performance: CAI, Magnaflow Dual Catback from ExtremeEffects.com, UDP from VMP (25% ASP), 17x9 Wheels and 275/40 Tires from CrossroadzDirect.com, SCT Tuner from VMP
Exterior: 232 Rear Emblem fromAutobadges.com, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Mach 1 Hood Decal, Rear Bumper Letter Decals, 3 Horse Door Decal, Shorty Antenna (Definite 15 Front Wheel HP!)
Interior: Billet A/C Knobs/Billet Pedals/Billet AOD Knob with O/D Switch (MGW)/Billet Locks/Billet E-brake Handle/Billet Turn Signal cover
Coming up: 4.10 gears from MidwestMustang.com and T-Lok from Gene Evans Ford/Tranny Cooler
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to drummerstang98 Send a message via Yahoo to drummerstang98
I run Moble 1, and a K&N Filter, and change my oil every 4000 miles
Mods - BBK O/R H-Pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters, BBK CAI, 4:30 Gears, FR500, Koni Adjustable's, C-Springs w/dead coil cut...more to come
drummerstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i need to wait 10,000 miles before i convert to synthetic right?

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

To Drummer: Excellent choices. I know Mobil holds very tight standards. As far as K&N's filter I can only speculate. I do not want to post misinformation, but I doubt they manufacture their own filters -- they most likely source from Champion or Wix. Regardless, though, they certainly put out outstanding quality. If they are making their own in house (I would be shocked), I would still feel quite comfortable with their quality. If they are out-sourcing, from their record in the industry, I would also feel very comfortable that their requirements are dependable. It is quite likely they are sourcing through Champion or Wix and have agreed with them on particular PERFORMANCE standards. Either way... good choice.

As for Tim... I've never, ever heard of that. I think you're joking but I don't know everything... LOL. I do know that once you change to synthetic is not a good idea to go back -- but I've never heard of anything regarding a mileage limit to put better fluids in your car.

Digger
Performance: CAI, Magnaflow Dual Catback from ExtremeEffects.com, UDP from VMP (25% ASP), 17x9 Wheels and 275/40 Tires from CrossroadzDirect.com, SCT Tuner from VMP
Exterior: 232 Rear Emblem fromAutobadges.com, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Mach 1 Hood Decal, Rear Bumper Letter Decals, 3 Horse Door Decal, Shorty Antenna (Definite 15 Front Wheel HP!)
Interior: Billet A/C Knobs/Billet Pedals/Billet AOD Knob with O/D Switch (MGW)/Billet Locks/Billet E-brake Handle/Billet Turn Signal cover
Coming up: 4.10 gears from MidwestMustang.com and T-Lok from Gene Evans Ford/Tranny Cooler
Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Stallion, after further research you are 100% correct. I learned something new. Here's what I found:

"the use of synthetic engine oils is not recommended for the "break-in" period. Its outstanding ability to reduce wear by virtually eliminating friction between moving components is not desirable for a "break-in" oil. Certain predictable amounts of friction are required for proper "break-in" of piston and piston rings. AERA does not recommend the use of synthetic engine oils for the first 5,000 miles of service."

Well done my man! I appreciate you stepping in before TimPryor received bad information.

Digger
Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 03redfire cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
damn so its gonna be like 30 bucks every time i change the oil
Ha it costs like 45 for me to do mine! And I do it every 3k miles, even though it is synthetic!

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8
03redfire cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #19
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redfire cobra
Ha it costs like 45 for me to do mine! And I do it every 3k miles, even though it is synthetic!
How big is your oil pan?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 03redfire cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
How big is your oil pan?
6.5 quarts

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8
03redfire cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #21
Regular

Region: Tennessee
ouch

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger
Stallion, after further research you are 100% correct. I learned something new. Here's what I found:

"the use of synthetic engine oils is not recommended for the "break-in" period. Its outstanding ability to reduce wear by virtually eliminating friction between moving components is not desirable for a "break-in" oil. Certain predictable amounts of friction are required for proper "break-in" of piston and piston rings. AERA does not recommend the use of synthetic engine oils for the first 5,000 miles of service."

Well done my man! I appreciate you stepping in before TimPryor received bad information.
Hey thanks for the . That's why I'm the Mod. But next time, I think some more :worship: are in order. Got it?

Old 07-04-2004, 02:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

:worship: :worship: :worship: I am not worthy...:worship: :worship: :worship: I am not worthy...:worship: :worship: :worship:

Better? LOL!

Digger
Old 07-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger
:worship: :worship: :worship: I am not worthy...:worship: :worship: :worship: I am not worthy...:worship: :worship: :worship:

Better? LOL!
You forgot "I suck" but I'll let it slide. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to drummerstang98 Send a message via Yahoo to drummerstang98
Quote:
6.5 quarts

damn
Mods - BBK O/R H-Pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters, BBK CAI, 4:30 Gears, FR500, Koni Adjustable's, C-Springs w/dead coil cut...more to come
drummerstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

jesus 6.5 quarts
Old 07-04-2004, 07:58 PM   #27

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
6.5 quarts
Is that with the blower too? or does it have its own oil supply?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Quote:
Excellent choices. I know Mobil holds very tight standards.
Over in the turbo dodge scene, Mobil 1 is all they run, even Shelby who was involved in the making of a few of the cars (GLHS, Lancer Shelby, Shelby Lancer, Shelby Z) even said that Mobil 1 is the best thing to run in turbo cars because it doesnt break down in the extreme temperatures that the turbo produces
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
mobil 1 and other synths have been tested and mobil 1 lasted 18k miles with one filter change before finally giving up. this test was done by an independent company and tested the oil every 1k miles. i will go find the article some other time. i have mobil 1 synth and change it about every 10k miles.

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:20 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I do SOAP ( spectrometric oil analysis program) sampling at work and analyze the results for Aircraft and automobiles. The fact is new motor oils just are more stable and dont loose there viscosity as quick. Synthetics dont loose viscosity incredibly slow or not at all.

I dont believe in High dollar filters for several reasons. 1. you throw them away 2. all a filter does is strain the oil and collect particles, all filters do that. 3. There are no magic filters just the magic of advertisment that brainwashes people to buy the expensive filters. Every filter I have examined as collected particles just fine.

The biggest problem that requires oil to be changed is the Corrosive acids that are left after the combustion process that gets by the rings. standard Fossil Fuel oil also breaks down and looses viscosity requiring frequent changes. Synthetic does not loose viscosity or break down allowing increased time between changes. The only reason to have to change Synthetics is the corrosive acids that will etch, pit and corrode bearing surfaces causing wear and failure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang