H-Pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to ttpancakes
H-Pipes

Is the reason for the H pipes to be able to install the dual exhaust. Because I was looking a set that they had with the cat's and the H-pipes together.

Is that all I need for my single exhaust V6?
ttpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=v...aust/index.php

Taken from there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust Article
Crossover Pipes (also known as Midpipes):

Y-pipe Tech:Y-Pipe
Your y-pipe is what comes right after your headers. Its the stock crossover pipe that they put on the car straight from the factory. The y-pipe is shaped just like a Y and what it does is route the dual exhaust (from the headers) into a single exhaust. It needs to be cut whenever installing true dual exhaust, though some do a ?fake? dual exhaust where the Y pipe is left intact and a backwards Y pipe is welded on to the back of the one in front, you will not gain much if any power with this type of setup and it is used mostly for the ?look? of real duals.
H-pipe Tech:
H pipes are used on v8 cars to equalize the pressure during their firing order.
Our v6's fire "evenly" because of this even firing order there is no need to equalize anything. So most people use H pipes for the sound it creates. Not for performance gains. Many people say it "removes" that popping sound.
V8 Firing Order: "1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8"
V6 Firing Order: "1-4-2-5-3-6"

Quote:
Everybody here that I have talked to says that an H-pipe is not needed on a V6. While I agree with that, I also think that you should get one. They aren't that expensive and they help in many ways. First it helps gas scavenging. Second it gives the car a nicer sound. Third it gives consistent and equal pressure to both sides of the engine. Now I know that they are already equal, but lets say you have a worn engine and a couple pistons are pumping out as much gas as the others. An H-pipe will keep the pressure the same in the exhaust system. Basically what I'm saying is that it's not needed but for the price, and the benefits, why not? if you go to a muffler shop and tell them that you want an H-pipe they will do it in about an hour, and it only costs about $60. g part of the exhaust. Often it is shiny chrome or polished steel.-Justang

Catted H-pipe Catted H-pipe:
A H-pipe is pretty much looks like what its named.
It consists of two parallel pipes that connect to the headers with a crossover pipe in the center connecting the two pipes, giving it that H look. Refer to picture on the left. Reasons to get an H pipe rather than using your Y pipe is to equalize the pressure in your exhaust. H- Pipes can come with or without Catalytic Converters. The ones with Catalytic Converters are called "off Road H pipes" Although, a H pipe Really isn't needed on a v6. There are tons of testimonies about pros, and cons on having a H pipe. Read below for for the reasons:
None Catted H pipeOff-Road H-pipe
A H-pipe is pretty much looks like what its named.
It consists of two parallel pipes that connect to the headers with a crossover pipe in the center connecting the two pipes, giving it that H look. Refer to picture on the left. Reasons to get an H pipe rather than using your Y pipe is to equalize the pressure in your exhaust. H- Pipes can come with or without Catalytic Converters. The ones with Catalytic Converters are called "off Road H pipes" Although, a H pipe Really isn't needed on a v6. There are tons of testimonies about pros, and cons on having a H pipe. Read below for for the reasons:
X-pipe Tech:X-pipe
An X-pipe works pretty much the same as the H-pipe on a v6. Of course like the name, it looks like an X.
The picture on the right is a custom made X pipe for a v6 mustang. X-pipes are used for better pressure equalization. But again on a v6 its not really needed.

Although people say the sound with a x pipe is far
greater than any exhaust they have ever

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the articles is very good although i have one more question. So, the only way for me to get true dual exhaust is to cut the factory y pipe? and how will I be able to connect them? By welding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpancakes
the articles is very good although i have one more question. So, the only way for me to get true dual exhaust is to cut the factory y pipe? and how will I be able to connect them? By welding?
you have to get rid of the factory y pipe for ture duals. Yes some welding is required

Reddit
Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What is seriously the differences between the Y and X pipe? If they are both to disperse the air evenly why have Y's and X's?
Old 07-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
An H-pipe works by giving the air in the exhaust tubing an alternate path when it gets backed up and it also scavenges the air helping get the pressure equal through-out the system. An X-pipe works the same way but when it comes to the x junction, the air can go either way with more ease and creates a smoother flowing exhaust.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is there any site that you know of that sells X pipes for the v6 3.8?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #8

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Noone that i know of does. I belive Brent found someone that makes em on ebay. That or you could get just the "x" and have a shop fab up the rest
Old 07-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

hmm seems like a good idea but I am got sure if i trust any shops around here, How hard would it be to rig one together you think?

Would a ford dealer carry X or H pipes? Would they be able to fab one for me?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hmm seems like a good idea but I am got sure if i trust any shops around here, How hard would it be to rig one together you think?

Would a ford dealer carry X or H pipes? Would they be able to fab one for me?
Ford will not carry them. X-pipes are expensive to fabricate. Hell, my H-pipe was expensive to fabricate.

I'd just go with one off ebay and have a shop weld it up. If they can't weld up an x or h-pipe they wouldn't be in business.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks haha
Old 07-05-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
well an x-pipe is not going to help you muc more than an h-pipe until you're pushing some serious power. You'd be better off with an h-pipe until then. And then you could just have someone make an X to weld in place for you.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Is there any site that you know of that sells X pipes for the v6 3.8?
spintech sells them

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

although i may be better off with an H pipe for now, I still want an X pipe so i dont have to worry about switching it later. I went on spintech to see there X pipes and I dont know which ones will fit my car. 04'. Is the junction just the X part and I will have to weld more pipe onto in later?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

just go to the muffler shop and they will fab one up quick for cheap
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
although i may be better off with an H pipe for now, I still want an X pipe so i dont have to worry about switching it later. I went on spintech to see there X pipes and I dont know which ones will fit my car. 04'. Is the junction just the X part and I will have to weld more pipe onto in later?
here ya go

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

all of those will fit?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
Regular

I sent them a email asking if they would fit. I will post their response when I get it

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang