New Intake on...Lost power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to dapack69
New Intake on...Lost power

I finally installed my SSX metal intake, but seem to have lost power on the top end. I have a lot more bottom end now. but for some reason the top seems to be slacking. It may be to much air and not enough fuel though. I also have the internal air horn that I need to put install.

According to the website the airhorn is suppose to be for N/A anyway. I'll try this in the morning.

Or could my problem strictly be fuel considering I still have the stock injectors and fuel pump. That is the 14 lb injectors that I am using. Mods listed below, and the chip is not dynoed as of yet, waiting to get stall converter first. Just needed to get rid of the rev limiter.

Side note, right before the chip my check engine light was on and the cats were below threashold, usually means the cats are getting clogged up. Could this be my problem as well?

http://www.gotstang.com/profile.php?dapack69#jump
dapack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2004, 01:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
who installed it? if the gasket sticks out at all into the runner it can cause hell.
a bolt on won't be making your car lean out. even with tiny 14#ers. fuel is not your problem, unless you screwed something up somehow but that's not what happened i'm sure.

and yes if your car is in safe mode its going to run richer anyways... less powe.r
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Please define safe mode. The rear o2's have been deleted from the computer by the chip, so the computer reseting the timing won't happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i'm trying to understand your first post.

CEL = safe mode. computer goes "oh ****" and runs her on the rich side. not sure what else takes place.

crapped out cats will rob power but nothing huge in comparison from the day before. sounds like its the intakes alright. so who installed them?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
I would have to say your SSX intake is too large for your setup. A SSX intake is mainly ment for those with a power adder or those who have an extreme N/A setup like mine. Basically you have too big of an intake which causes the air in your intake to lose velocity. You want the size of your intake to somewhat reflect the size of your engine per-say. So if you have a 3.8L engine, you'd want an intake that was approx. 4.5L so that you're not causing your intake to become dry, meaning no air. Think of your intake as a reserve tank. If you have air on reserve, then your engine won't be starved and the air can move fast and freely, but if you have too much air then your intake will become flooded and the air won't be able to move as fast and freely. Your SSX is about 6.0+ liters just so you know. Does that make better sense? Maybe that airhorn will help you out.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

97S, what are the specs on it, cfm?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It sounds like 97Stallion is correct in that the Intake is just to big for your current set up. Get the airhorn in and see if that helps.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire
97S, what are the specs on it, cfm?
Don't quote me on this but I think the SSX intake takes a 60mm TB, so it's about 600cfm.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I would not worry about the TB the engine will only use what it can use. Now with respect to larger Plenum areas like the SSX you should be having more of a low end loss and better upper end do to better breathing but you dont so I am going to say the intake is not the problem and it is a seal or a vacuum line. Something in the system might not be plugged up or leaking. also check the injectors and plug wires.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:35 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I would not worry about the TB the engine will only use what it can use. Now with respect to larger Plenum areas like the SSX you should be having more of a low end loss and better upper end do to better breathing but you dont so I am going to say the intake is not the problem and it is a seal or a vacuum line. Something in the system might not be plugged up or leaking. also check the injectors and plug wires.
I know the SSX intake comes with an aluminum spacer, did you use a gasket on both sides of the spacer?

Old 07-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I used a gasket on both sides of the engine. I install everything myself including the cam in it. As far as vacumn leakes, I barely have anything left of vacumn, deleted the EGR and evap canister.

I did install the airhorns that seemed to help. I'm going to go with a bigger fuel pump and see if that helps.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
not that you dont have alot more air flow than stock but that intake is still to big probably, you need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump and get a dyno tune to see how the a/f is doing that may totaly fix your problem.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm planning on getting a Dyno tune done in Oct. soon as I get my stall converter

Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

i think you are leaning out up top. the 14# injectors seem too small for ported heads and cam setup as well as an intake that just flows too much air. What I would do is to get a set of 19# injectors off ebay for cheap (stock 5.0s came with them and since everyone upgrades, they are cheap online) and then a Pro-M MAF calibrated for 19# injectors. That will not cause a CEL light and it will hold you over until you get dyno tuned.

as for Rob's statement, the 3.8L sucks all the air it needs. It is true that it can be too big, but with his ported head and cam setup, it may be sucking enough air already.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel is the problem. I borrowed my friends AFPR and his gauge. Bumped the pressure up to 50 and my car loves the extra fuel. Just need to get the bigger fuel pump and injectors and everything should be fine. I'm going to be getting 24 lber's though.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:41 PM   #16
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapack69
Fuel is the problem. I borrowed my friends AFPR and his gauge. Bumped the pressure up to 50 and my car loves the extra fuel. Just need to get the bigger fuel pump and injectors and everything should be fine. I'm going to be getting 24 lber's though.
Cool man glad you found the problem

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Glad you got it all fixed. Now what you need is a SCT tuner kit. And I would HIGLY recommend against getting 24# injectors. I thought I needed them at one time too, but 19# injectors will work better. Did you understand what I said about your SSX intake? I have no idea how that airhorn works, but that actually fixed your problem more than you know.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I had 24#ers on my V6, and I think I had too much injector for it, I kept having problems with it flooding out, but then I was also having problems with chips not being burned right, when I finally got a chip that was burned properly, she did run. I also had adjustable pressure regulator, and the 230lph fuel pump I think it was. Those are a PIA to install by the way!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
by the way, my GT is still running fine on its stock 19# injectors, at about 300+bhp.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:21 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yep I will also Agree with them above 19# injectors are the way to go. I have all the engine mods and 19# injectors work excellent and they are way cheaper
Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You all say that 24's are way to much, but on V6power there telling me to go with 42's. The link is below.

http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31460

Old 07-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

You can use 42's providing you have computer programming on the spot for the change or you will be running so rich I doubt it will run very well and will be dumping fuel out of the exhaust and smoking like a bastard

You can computer tune any # injector to work in your car but 19 lb injectors will give you all the fuel you need and the car will run ok till you get a chip or computer tune. You will run a little rich but not as bad as 42's.

Are you planning to install a Supercharger, if not 42's are rather large for a N/A V6
Old 07-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ya, you can tune for the 42's but until you get to tune them down, you won't be able to drive your car. 19# injectors will allow you to drive it atleast. Pete can use 42's on a N/A car becuase he can tune the car for himself, not everybody has those resources at their fingertips. You can get some used 19# injectors from ebay for cheap usually.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Ya, you can tune for the 42's but until you get to tune them down, you won't be able to drive your car. 19# injectors will allow you to drive it atleast. Pete can use 42's on a N/A car becuase he can tune the car for himself, not everybody has those resources at their fingertips. You can get some used 19# injectors from ebay for cheap usually.
wow, pulled the words right from my mouth.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I do plan on going supercharged. That's the main reason why I bought the intake. Plus there were only 10 made.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

http://search.ebay.com/19-injectors_...1QQfromZR8Here ya go, you can picvk your own.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang