Car questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Car questions

I'm looking at a 2000 v6, its is supercharged, and has been that way for 30000 miles out of the 60000 on the car. I talked to him and he says he has gone without a chip for that time because diablo sent the wrong one then he sent it back several times and finally they told him to forget it, so he never got the chip. I have asked several people on AIM and recieved mixed responses, but I was wondering what you guys think.he has gone 3 passes on the track and otherwise says he hasnt reamed on it he also says its not lean and is only rich when you really punch it if that has to do with anything, he claims that the engine is just fine. How do you think the engine is? would the car be in safe enough condition to buy? btw this is a long ways away and i dont want to drive out to it if its probably not gonna be alright. any help would be appreciated

derek
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
How much PSI is he running? Did he upgrade the fuel system? Im not sure what else to think of.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
7 psi, thus you dont need fuel upgrades
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 06:04 PM   #4

Im not sure all what to look for aside the normal stuffHopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea well brent thought the engine would be ok and eval and spector were skectical so i thought maybe someone else would know more here, thanks for the try
Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #6

no problem. Im a little skeptical about no tune, and the fact that he spent the money to supercharge it but hasn't beat on it. cuz i know i would
Old 07-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you know my opinion on this.... any one that is to stupid to not get a dyno tune and run the car with no chip is not qualified to tell you what is/is not wrong with the car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

this guy has had a supercharger on a car for 30,000 miles and hasn't ever abused it, you know thats a lie. if you supercharge a v6 you want to show it off and if he hasn't updated the computer with a dyno tune or a chip, your might be in for some serious problems with some internal problems. even though its 7 psi you should have it checked out. and what is his asking price? if the car is ok then the first thing you should do is get a chip or dyno tune. good luck.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee
it should be fine just make sure you get a chip if you buy it. You cant buy it till next spring anyways so you got a long time to think about it

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok heres what the car has

Engine:
3.8L V6 AOD
9psi ATI Procharger w/ 2 core intercooler
77mm Pro-M MAS (took it off though, wrong calibration)

Performance:
Mac Shorty Headers
Mac O/R H-pipe
Mac 2.5" exhaust w/ 3.5" tips
Ford Racing Traction Lock
Diablo Sport Chip (couldn’t get it to work, wouldn’t start) have BEH2 as engine code

Appearance:
2000 Cobra R 18 x 9.5 Chrome Rims
wrapped in Nitto 555 Extremes
285/35 back 265/35 front

2000 Cobra Front Bumper Cover
Cobra Grill Emblem
GTS Headlight Blackouts
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
White Faced Gauges
White Faced Boost Gauge
White Faced Oil Pressure Gauge
GT Rear Bumper Cover
5% Window Tint
Steeda Racing Pedals
and with what was stated previously in this thread do you think 10,500 is a fair price for that? or what price should i jew him down to if i ever do go look at it?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 PM   #11
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
yeah i think thats a pretty fair price, considering all the mods to it.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

any body else got opinions? take into consideration this car might need an sc rebuild soon and engine rebuild(but i hope not) any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #13

i don't think 10 is too bad either, considering its in good strong shape.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you do get this car I would think of taking it to a good tuning place and have them check it over, and have it given a full diagnostics.

And do your home work on who you take it too bfore just choosing anyone...
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Well I have to agree with KrazyPony on this. It needs to be taken to a place that can dyno tune. The engine in this car could be a time bomb. If whoever has the car now was easy on it and did not drive it like a manic it might be all right, but whotakes it easy on a supercharged car. The price is a little steep for a V6 even with a supercharger. Power adders on a stock motor do not add much value to a car especially if it was never tuned in 30,000 miles

Just my thoughts!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:58 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Yes tuning is everything, most people forget that part when adding a supercharger. What kind supercharger is it? Hopefully he upgraded his fuel system along with the supercharger. If it was N/A i'd say you wouldn't have much to worry about, but when it comes to power adders, you have to be wery of other peoples work.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Yes tuning is everything, most people forget that part when adding a supercharger. What kind supercharger is it? Hopefully he upgraded his fuel system along with the supercharger. If it was N/A i'd say you wouldn't have much to worry about, but when it comes to power adders, you have to be wery of other peoples work.
Hey Rob he has a 9psi ATI Procharger w/ 2 core intercooler with a stock fuel system
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
I would procede carefully.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

problem is its in iowa and Im in michigan so I couldnt just take the car to a place to have it checked out. anyhow thanks for the help and input guys i appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Hey Rob he has a 9psi ATI Procharger w/ 2 core intercooler with a stock fuel system

Old 08-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

on prochargers site it says for the 7psi kit (which he has but is getting 9 outa it) you dont need to upgrade the fuel system. I dont know much but he says its never lean and its only rich when you really gas it. is that a good or bad sign?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Do you guys know of anything else I should ask him just to be safer/or good things to know before making a road trip to iowa?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually no matter what system you get the Fuel system should be upgraded and a dyno tune needs to be done. A lean condition will kill a engine. You have know idea what damage has already occured.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #24
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Id pass on it... btw where in iowa is he?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:11 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon
Do you guys know of anything else I should ask him just to be safer/or good things to know before making a road trip to iowa?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #26
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

like i said... where in iowa is he cause i live there

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

west des moines just in case anyone else is from Iowa
Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Do you have a engine stethoscope? You can use that to check for knock in the engine? And if you have a vaccum gauge I would bring that also. Does this guy have any other mods other than the supercharger? If not at idle you can tell the condition of the engine with the vaccum gauge. If the needle is steady and around 17hg/in then it's a good engine. If he has a cam, then around 15hg/in is good. I have a huge cam, so mine is around 13/14 hg/in. If the needle moves like crazy or moves at all like 1 or 2 hg/in at idle, then I would suspect some engine damage. I'm going to assume he has a Vaccum/Boost gauge maybe. If he does have him make a movie of it and post it here so we can tell you what we think.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
well, I'm an hour from dsm. can always do a test drive

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon
I'm looking at a 2000 v6, its is supercharged, and has been that way for 30000 miles out of the 60000 on the car.
didnt' 99-2000 models have oil leakage through the PCV? oil in the cylinders or something like that? skip it if it did
peyotesands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:35 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'm in Iowa , under 2 hours from Des Moines... maybe you could fly by me if I went through there?... this sucks, I know of 2 decently modded cars in Iowa now, and neither of them are mine.... (Zimstang, and possible purchase) glad to know I'd get whopped by both of them

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #32

at 60000 miles with all that gear...there is no way the guy hasnt "reemed" it..why else would you spend that much money...if i was you..i would buy a stock or nearly stock and add the mods yourself...its more fun that way
skylar1926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang