V-6 = V-8 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2004, 12:41 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
A fuel pump's rating means it's max ability. it doesn't necessarily mean worse gas mileage, it means it'll just deliver more fuel per hour, and you're injectors won't be starved from the fuel they demand. Secondly, ford doesn't make 3.53's they're 3.55's and for your car I would definately get atleast a 3.73. Don't listen to those weenies at Ford. They're a business, they're always gonna give you SAFE info. You're engine is very durable, it can take the abuse for quite a while. Finally, 200 miles per tank is terrible. You have to have a lead foot or something. Hell I have tons of mods and a 4.2 and get better gas mileage.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29
I guess gears is something hard for me to understand. When I asked a local mechanic of his suggestion of 8.8" 4.10 gears for my v-6 mustang he said my rpm will be higher than it would normally be making my engine to give more revolution which would result in premature break. I am iffy bout it since then. Then I hear some doing 3.73 on this website but hardly 4.10. I also wonder, Mach 1s have 3.53s and they run 13.5s faster than I'll ever so why would I get 3.73 or 4.10, wouldn't ford engineers make a good match for it and if i run slower should I get something smaller than 3.53? How much difference would I notice in the 1/4?

About the fuel pump? If I get a bigger fuel pump it means it'll spray more gas at a time resulting in decrease of fuel economy, right? Fuel economy is something I favor a lot. I already feel like I don't get many miles/tank. I get about 200miles/tank, that's not good right?
The mechanic who told you that is not very knowledgeable if he said that!!!
3.73 & 4.10 are about 50/50 on this site. Manual shifts go with 3.73 normally and Auto go with either. I have a 3.73 gears and times I wish I went with 4.10's. They do not do damage. On the Mach 1 haing 3.53's. All cars are set up for squeezing every bit of Mileage ot of a car for CAFE standards all car makers have to adhere to. Typical V6 buyers get them because of better mileage, looks and price. Switching to 3.73's you will lose about 1MPG and 4.10's about 1.5 to 2 Mpg in highway driving and almost no loss in mileage in city unless you have a lead foot.You also will get much better mileage keeping the car under 3000 rpm's

Larger fuel pumps dont mean more fuel burnt. You car has a fixed fuel pressure regulator so it will keep fuel pressure the same. The advantages of a Higher capacity fuel puimp is added insurance with Nitrous to provide constant fuel without the problems of fuel drop off do to insufficient capabilities of the low capicity stock fuel pump!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
I do have a chronic problem with aggressive driving habits. I will fill my tank today and try driver less aggressive. How many miles should I get?

About the fuel pump what type, brand, or specifications should I get, and would I benefit from a fuel pump w/o nitrous or are they usually a combo?

About gears, you say i should get at least 3.73s would I benefit more from a 4.10? What would be optimal size? And what does the 7.5" & 8.8" mean? I think I want the 8.8", right? Does anyone know what my 2004 auto have as gears? Also, when I went to the mechanic he said I needed a bearing kit, that true? What parts would I need and how much should I expect to spend for parts and labor of 4.10 8.8" gears?
megax29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Walbro or FMS fuel pumps. Ford is a direct fit for about $90. The Walbro will require a slight modification to install it correctly

7.7 and 88 is in reference to the rear end size. V6 cars stangs have 7.5 assembly and GT's have 8.8 assembly
Old 07-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

bosch makes a nice inline fuel pump. that is if you don't want to have one in your gas tank. i have a bosch on my car and it works fine. i suggested the fuel pump only for the nitrous system so if you deciede to go with it your engine won't run lean and cause detonation. otherwise you won't need a fuel pump. for your rear gears I would go with the 4.10 gears for you because its an auto. for a manual it nice to have 3.73's. 4.10's on a manual transmission would be ok only if you don't do a lot of highway driving.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Not only do gears get you up in rpms quicker, what really makes them shine is that they multiply the torque to the wheels and it is torque that gets you out of the hole

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SquirrelNutz154
My best advice for you would be to make your V6 faster and race the ricers. You'll beat them. An auto V6 really can't beat a GT, but plenty of ricers think that their inline 1 and a half cylinder .0006 liter engine can't hang with a V6 stang cuz its not a GT. Show them wrong.
SquirrelNutz154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelNutz154
My best advice for you would be to make your V6 faster and race the ricers. You'll beat them. An auto V6 really can't beat a GT, but plenty of ricers think that their inline 1 and a half cylinder .0006 liter engine can't hang with a V6 stang cuz its not a GT. Show them wrong.
My auto V6 can beat a stock GT up to 1998 and I am working on beating 99+ GT's
Your Statement was near sighted to say the least. There are a few V6 autos in the 13's running well over 300HP and a few well into the 400HP range
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I hate ricers... stupid... cocky... ignorant scum of the stop light to stop light world. They need to shut off their subs, put a real muffler on their car, and realize, they've got a 4 banger...

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
thats sig material^
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SquirrelNutz154
I don't disagree, I'm hoping to beat GTs myself, and I'm in the same boat as far as an auto. That was advice for a guy that doesn't seem to know much about cars nor want to spend a lot. Given the right amount of dough, perspiration, and inspiration, you could definitely make a V6 beat GTS
SquirrelNutz154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #47
Regular

Region: Tennessee
V6 Mustangs have alot of potential. You just got to be willing to build the engine up. I'm going to some junkyards on Sat to look for 3.8 engines to start my 4.2L Project

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
V6 Mustangs have alot of potential. You just got to be willing to build the engine up. I'm going to some junkyards on Sat to look for 3.8 engines to start my 4.2L Project
You can use my car for inspration!!! I don't have any dyno number as of yet, but the butt dyno say's "WHOA!!"

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #49
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I wanna come! Unless I have court Saturday. Which shouldn't happen. (is there court on Saturday?)

Or driving school, but I doubt I can get thru that quick.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #50
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
I wanna come! Unless I have court Saturday. Which shouldn't happen. (is there court on Saturday?)

Or driving school, but I doubt I can get thru that quick.
Me & Nate are going... you sure you dont have a birthday party or something...

Your welcome to come if you want we can meet you somewhere

Reddit
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #51
I liek gramer
Legacy

where are yall going? where would we meet?

I'm pretty sure about birthday parties. She has a bunch of siblings, but I think we're done for a while as far as bdays... lol.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 AM   #52
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
where are yall going? where would we meet?

I'm pretty sure about birthday parties. She has a bunch of siblings, but I think we're done for a while as far as bdays... lol.
I know of atleast one place where we are going lol. Junkyard off Memorial Parkway close to Meridianville. Other than that I dunno still looking around

Reddit
Old 08-05-2004, 12:47 AM   #53

There is another way to make your car faster, weight reduction. Every ~16 lbs you remove is like adding 1 hp. Remove the spare, jack, and cover (40 lbs) Buy or make a rear seat delete (35lbs) A dry cell (PC680) removed 24 lbs from my car. Run with tank of gas (save ~75 lb over full) Light weight-racing seats. (save ~50 lb) Weld Draglite 15 x 8 wheels shed 7 lbs of rotating weight for each wheel. Aluminum driveshaft (~7 lb. rotating weight).

Many people go the other direction and add larger wheels, subs/amps, fog lights, rear sway bar, braces, 8.8 rear ends, big brakes, slows the car down.
keithej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:14 AM   #54
I liek gramer
Legacy

^ Me!

but I don't care about being fast in this car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang