V-6 = V-8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
V-6 = V-8

I don't seem to have a realistic picture of where my 3.9l v-6 automatic 2004 mustang stands in comparison other car and the gt. I was wondering which upgrades are necessary to be on par w/ the gt. I bought a mag Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords where some guy Kenny Brown says if I add dual exhaust, suspension, and 4.10 rear gears my v-6 will be as quick as the gt for less $$$. Is this realistic and if not what is necessary to be on par w/ GT?
megax29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Not realistic, It'll be a fun car but not realistic to = a GT.
Extreme Effects.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Well it'll take more than duals, suspension and gears, but having a 2004 you have a good base to start at. With a simple few mods you can have some decent horsepower, but to have as much as a GT would require alot of money and/or work on your part. You'll need a CAI, Underdrive Pulley, Dual exhaust, gears and t-lok, cam, and P&P heads and intakes. If you're interested contact me via e-mail or PM, or you can contact Steve at extremeeffect.com or just go to www.extremeeffect.com if you're interested or wanna do some research. Just ask questions and we'll help you out.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Effects.com
Not realistic, It'll be a fun car but not realistic to = a GT.
Wow, you beat me to the post

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
And have fun finding someone with a GT that will run you who is actually still stock.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
well you started off with an auto.... they suck.... in comparison to a stock 99 up gt manual you are a two seconds slower, a second and a half slower than an auto gt. If you do all the bolt ons you will be in the mid/low 15s with a tq converter high 14s and with slicks mid 14s~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29
I don't seem to have a realistic picture of where my 3.9l v-6 automatic 2004 mustang stands in comparison other car and the gt. I was wondering which upgrades are necessary to be on par w/ the gt. I bought a mag Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords where some guy Kenny Brown says if I add dual exhaust, suspension, and 4.10 rear gears my v-6 will be as quick as the gt for less $$$. Is this realistic and if not what is necessary to be on par w/ GT?
That is a great big lie. The recent article on V6 mods and bolt ons was pure fantasy plain and simple. They did nothing more than add up manufactures claims. Which are inflated by 50% or more. There are to many people like me who have done real world dynos and can raise the BS flag on most of the stuff they sell. Most are claims based on what they see on GT and Cobra's which is totally insane.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
what dangerdude said. i had most of the bolt ons with my 2000 v6 and she ran high 14's. she had 14.7-14.8's in her but i wasn't able to do it. that's a far cry from 13's and my car was definitely track prepped!

austin
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know a lot of the slang you guys talk about racing, like what are bolt ons and slicks? Like I said I don't know a lot bout racing but I think I run high 15s or low 16s. I think my car runs faster than its expected. I've raced two other 100% stock v-6 3.8l stangs in an estimated 1/4 mile and I beat both by 2-1.5 car lengths, no competition. Both told me it must be cuz mine was a 3.9L, I feel like that's their excuse. What do you guys think my car runs, and do you know anywhere I can get my car timed in San Jose, CA area?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I don't know a lot of the slang you guys talk about racing, like what are bolt ons and slicks? Like I said I don't know a lot bout racing but I think I run high 15s or low 16s. I think my car runs faster than its expected. I've raced two other 100% stock v-6 3.8l stangs in an estimated 1/4 mile and I beat both by 2-1.5 car lengths, no competition. Both told me it must be cuz mine was a 3.9L, I feel like that's their excuse. What do you guys think my car runs, and do you know anywhere I can get my car timed in San Jose, CA area?
Were their's both pre 99s? Cuz those have about 40 fewer horses then you do.

bolt ons are the simple mods like exhaust, intake, pullies. They don't do a whole lot on the V6's really. You can get all of the bolt ons and you will probably hang with the pre 99 GT automatic verts. Slicks are drag racing tires, most aren't legal on the street and you wouldn't want to have them on the street anyway. You want drag radials if you want a bit more grip then typical street tires.

And there really isn't much difference between the 3.9 and 3.8, a couple hp and ft lbs really.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Bolt ons = Cold air intakes, Underdrive pullies, mufflers, Throttle body. The definition usually means anything you can bolt on to the engine as a performance gain

Slicks = Refers to Drag Slicks, tires used at the drag strip for better traction and better times as they help reduce tire spin at launchbut are terible for street use and illegal.

A far as you beating them because you have a 3.9 I would say your engine is not responsible depending on the year 3.8 and who is driving and the condition of the car in terms of tune ups all addd up to a cars performance.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

But 2 car lengths is a lot in a 1/4 mile isn't it? There was no comp. So you guys think I may be capable of high 15s 100% stock or what would you guess? I know Mach 1s run 13.5 and I'm guessing GTs around 14.5-15 what about me? Whipster says 3.9L has a couple more hp. I know 3.8 have 193hp, can I say I have 195lbs? Also I thought torque was measure in ft/lbs, how is this scientificly explained as its unit of measurement? A friend told me that it could also be measured on a 1-10 scale and my car was a 2 or 3, I don't believe him but could it be true?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My car is weird. I haven't seen another 2004 like mine. I got it in TX and it was the only V-6 like it. I has some visual upgrades: silver painted center panel w/ aluminum trim around the (auto) shifter that I haven't seen another V-6 with, 460 Mach audio system, rims that I've seen on only one other mustang, and its got a GT scoop on the hood which most v-6s dont have or none. There's obvious visual upgrades and I'm wondering could it possibly have more under the hood? I know some have T-lok mine doesn't, but what do you guys think?\
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #14
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
take pics of your car, lol.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No they were both 2003 and both auto just like mine except mine is 3.9L and 2004. I will take pics they'll be up sometime next week.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

There is really no significant difference in the engines

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #17

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Quote:
My car is weird. I haven't seen another 2004 like mine. I got it in TX and it was the only V-6 like it. I has some visual upgrades: silver painted center panel w/ aluminum trim around the (auto) shifter that I haven't seen another V-6 with, 460 Mach audio system, rims that I've seen on only one other mustang, and its got a GT scoop on the hood which most v-6s dont have or none. There's obvious visual upgrades and I'm wondering could it possibly have more under the hood? I know some have T-lok mine doesn't, but what do you guys think?
I got the Mach 460 w/ 6cd changer
Old 07-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone says there's no significant difference but I wanna know if there's any difference. Could my 3.9L actually have 195hp? I heard from someone here that it has more displacement what does that mean in simpler terms? I was also wondering the 3.8L actually is a measurement for? Can anyone tell me if 3.9Ls are also 232s?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

There is no difference in the engine so ther is nothing extra. Roush and Saleen do nothing to the V6 motor when they get them.

I have yet to seee or hear of any V6 with Tlok from the factory. Many come with Mach 460 system. Most 04 got the 2001 Cobra hood but I have seen GT hood scoops on V6's it is an option. A couple of HP does not equate to 2 car lengths
Old 07-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
can I say calm down megax? 2 horsepower isn't much.... 193, 195, it's all close to 200, just round up. Fact is, we v-6er's don't have much power when we're NEAR 3.85 liters... as long as we're rounding. Why not just start bolting on and not worry about how much power you have until you get it tuned and dyno'd? Then you won't have to worry about the 2 horsepower... because you'll know exactly what you have. Be happy you won, and don't worry about .1 liters. By the way foot pounds of torque, it has that label because torque is a measure of distance from a point of axis multiplied by a force being applied at said distance. Distance is measured in feet in the stupid English system of the United States, and the English system for weight, or force is pounds. so, you get foot pounds... torque on an engine is measured by how much the engine would make something want to turn. A tendancy to want to turn is torque. That's my physics from last year ... I threw in the engine crap, but seriously, something wanting to turn, a tendancy to turn, it's torque. Apply it to engines.... done.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think that it was the .1L why I beat the others there must have other conditions involved, i know...I'd just like to know what my hp and lb/ft is. Jimmy beaner or anyone what the hell does getting your car tuned and dyno'd mean? And you guys really haven't told how to be on par w/ the GT except for 97stallion. Can anyone explain to me what the procedures are to port & polish heads and intake. I wanna make enough upgrades through the next year to be able to guarantee a win over a 2004 GT manual, what do I need to do?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Danger dude my friends 2003 v-6 has t-lok from factory. i dont know **** about cars but i know that my friends has t-lok. its activated w/ a button underneath the stereo next to the rear defrost button.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Danger dude my friends 2003 v-6 has t-lok from factory. i dont know **** about cars but i know that my friends has t-lok. its activated w/ a button underneath the stereo next to the rear defrost button.
That is not Tlok. There is no Tlok button, you cant turn off Tlok. You are talking about the traction control which keeps the rear wheel from spinning. The only 7.5 rear ends with Tlok are Ranger pickups. That is also where all the used ones come from. Rangers with towing packages come with 3.73 or 4.10 sears with Tlok.

I have been building cars for 23 years. I will not steer you wrong but you have said you know very little so I suggest you do more listening !!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
And you guys really haven't told how to be on par w/ the GT except for 97stallion. Can anyone explain to me what the procedures are to port & polish heads and intake. I wanna make enough upgrades through the next year to be able to guarantee a win over a 2004 GT manual, what do I need to do?
Most Hp I have seen N/A from a 3.8/3.9 is around 250 and be streetable. you would still be 15 HP shy and boat loads of torgue shy. Now if you wanted to swap a 4.2 motor in there you could get past a GT. The real easy way to beat a GT is Nitrous or Supercharger/ turbocharger but you would be voiding your warranty!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. See I thought it was easy to beat a GT with a few mods but just found its far from. I know I can also just get a 4.6L instead and be on par right? How cost effective is that to all the mods it'd take. How much would I spend to set a 4.6 in and besides the engine what do I need to buy to make it compatible w/ mine?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

It is a total ***** job to change the motor. You need a donor car to make it cheap. you need a complete engine, wiring harness, motor cross member mount gauges, Computer and all those harnesses and complete accessories and all the hoses, cables.

why would you do this to a 04 car. it would be easier to trade off or sell your car and get a 2001 GT as cheap as you can. Engine swaps are for professionals and if you pay someone to do it think about paying $5000 or more for the engine , parts and installation
Old 07-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

DAMN. I don't think I can trade it in cuz of credit problems. So your saying I ****ed up completely, right? DAAMN
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

No Did I say that!!! You can have a nice ride and start small with the modsand enjoy your car. As long as you dont mind losing your Warranty the sky is the limit. Heads, Cam and intakes with a chip or computer burn plus Rear end gears, tloc, CAI, dual exhaust you will have a nice and pretty quick car or you can throw on a nitrous for around $500 or a supercharger for around $3000 new and be faster than a GT.

Question is since it is a 04 and new did you have a desire to be faster than a GT when you bought this stang.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

No. I'm 19 this is my first car and didn't care or new anything bout cars. Now that I got this car I've been learning and want togo faster than a GT, don't mind being a wolf in a lamb suit disguise. I like that idea. I'll check to see if there's anyway to trade in my car for a GT. If I don't know **** about driving a standard do you think I can learn how to drive it or should I learn on something else. How long does it take to feel comfortable in learning standard? Does anyone know someone who's timed their 3.8L automatic before in a 1/4? What do I run?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
well stock 94-98 auto v6s run 16.9s~ manuals run 16.5s and 99 - 04 v6 autos run 16.2s and manuals run 15.5s~ your car is not a factory freak that runs faster, and 2 cars in the quarter is only about two tenths of a second anyway. No matter how you do it a street race can not tell you which car is really faster, street races are alot of reaction time and many other factors just because you beat the other car from point a to point b does not make your car the faster car, the only way you can know is to go to teh track and get hard core numbers. your car will not break 15s stock and if it did it would be 15.9s~ pretty much 16s. 3.9l dont make any more hp, with an auto you are looking at 150rwhp~

99 - 04 gt mustangs run 14.0s give or take a couple tenths in a manual tranny, the 94-98 gts are in the 15.0 range~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

quick and easy answer. get a underdrive pulley, a cold air intake, a larger fuel pump (255lph), and a NX Express wet nitrous system. try a 75 shot. you'll be good to go, that is if you don't care about your warranty. total cost of all of that without install would be no more than $1000-1100. that is for brand new items. used ones will be cheaper of course.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
dual exhaust... /\
!!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to try and trade my car in for a 01-03 GT. If I can't make the trade which is very likely cuz of my credit I will probably go as far as underdrive pulleys, CAI, shift kit, computer chip, dual x-pipe side exhaust (spintech), and maybe nitrous. I don't know exactly how I'd benefit from a fuel pump, gears, or anything else but would consider a few more upgrades. With the upgrades in plan for future w/o nitrous what is realistic of me to expect? About the side exhaust I heard that they aren't compatible with the cars subframe. How is it possible to install w/o subframe interfering?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #34
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I'm going to try and trade my car in for a 01-03 GT. If I can't make the trade which is very likely cuz of my credit I will probably go as far as underdrive pulleys, CAI, shift kit, computer chip, dual x-pipe side exhaust (spintech), and maybe nitrous. I don't know exactly how I'd benefit from a fuel pump, gears, or anything else but would consider a few more upgrades. With the upgrades in plan for future w/o nitrous what is realistic of me to expect? About the side exhaust I heard that they aren't compatible with the cars subframe. How is it possible to install w/o subframe interfering?
You benift from a fuel pump because if you dont have enough fuel when your nitrous sprays you can say bye bye to your engine and bye bye to your warranty.

As it has been said over and over. Gears get you into your power range quicker. It improves acceleration.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I guess gears is something hard for me to understand. When I asked a local mechanic of his suggestion of 8.8" 4.10 gears for my v-6 mustang he said my rpm will be higher than it would normally be making my engine to give more revolution which would result in premature break. I am iffy bout it since then. Then I hear some doing 3.73 on this website but hardly 4.10. I also wonder, Mach 1s have 3.53s and they run 13.5s faster than I'll ever so why would I get 3.73 or 4.10, wouldn't ford engineers make a good match for it and if i run slower should I get something smaller than 3.53? How much difference would I notice in the 1/4?

About the fuel pump? If I get a bigger fuel pump it means it'll spray more gas at a time resulting in decrease of fuel economy, right? Fuel economy is something I favor a lot. I already feel like I don't get many miles/tank. I get about 200miles/tank, that's not good right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang