Suspension & Steering Problems. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Suspension & Steering Problems.

I have a problem with my suspension...it squeeks and pops. I think something must be worn out or broken. When I am backing out of a parking lot mostly or whenever I turn my wheel there's a loud pop and isn't always consistent. Also when approaching a stop as the car dips slight forward it squeeks. My friend thought this was worn out ball joints without even inspecting the car. The other thing I've noticed is on my steering wheel...it has an area where the wheel get stuck. I can feel a big gap where it doesn't steer and I can just wobble the wheel without it turning my car. Anyone have recommendations on how to solve these problems. I'd like to fix it myself and only take it in to a professional if I can't fix it. Anyone have suggestions on what to check for, specific areas, test, any input? I can take pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Suspension & Steering Problems.

first thing you need to do is jack up the front of the car to get the front wheels off the ground. then you need to grab the front and back sides of the tire and feel for play in the steering, then grab the top and bottom of the tire and feel for play in the suspension. if you feel play in the steering it's going to be a worn out tie rod end or a worn out rack n pinion, if you feel play in the suspension it's going to be a worn ball joint or worn control arm bushings. also you need to check for worn sway bar bushings and sway bar end links. I have also heard a front pop from the subframe bolts loosening up. once you check these post back and I can help narrow down the problem.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Also check pittman arm, idler and wheel bearings.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

also just see if you notice any worn areas, shinny places, etc where the tire or rim might be rubbing on something.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

I have noticed a contact spot on my sway bar probably from my wheel rubbing...I think. It's rainy season now in Northern Cali and don't have a garage so I'll wait for the weather to clear up so I can check up on slack as HOTTCOBRA suggested. I am excited to finally fix this thing and will take pictures and maybe video on this case as it progresses, thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra GT View Post
Also check pittman arm, idler and wheel bearings.
Except for the fact that a rack and pinion steering set up has no pitman or idler arms.

Sounds to me like your swaybar bushings have worn out and the swaybar is hitting the inside tread of the tires when turning. They're pretty easy to swap out.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang