New 08 Mustang Owner with Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #1

Question New 08 Mustang Owner with Questions

Hello everyone, today I became a proud owner of an 08 Mustang V6 Coupe. I purchased it used with 9k miles and according to carfax it was originally registered as a rental vehicle. I have already done quite a bit of highway driving on it on my way home and so far everything seems fine, I just have a few questions. Some of these might sound dumb, so just bear with me.

1) The dealer never listed ABS/Traction Control as an option on the car nor did I expect it to be there however I assume I have it since there is a functioning TC button on my dash. According to Ford's spec sheet it appears that ABS/TC is not available on a Deluxe Mustang unless it is part of a safety and security package which I'm pretty sure I don't have. Does Ford produce special packages for rental companies that have ABS and basically no other option?

2) Since I have little if any optional equipment do I have the ability to change the color of my instruments? My backlight is white but when I turn the headlights on they turn green which I assume thats the only color I can choose from. It looks like I do not have the message center equipped since I do not have the Info/Setup/Reset buttons as it appears in the manual that its necessary for the feature.

3) Can I go to a dealer and get a printout of factory installed equipment for my Mustang? That would make this whole process a lot easier.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I purchased this vehicle assuming that it came with nothing so anything extra would be icing on the cake, especially if its equipped with ABS. Any help is well appreciated, thank you!
cruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: New 08 Mustang Owner with Questions

part 1: dealers to make special cars for rentals and all cars now have to have ABS but not all have to have TC If you have a TC button on the right of your cig. lighter on the dash than you have it, if not than you don't

part 2: what you are talking about is "Mycolor" and from what you say you don't have that option

part 3: The dealer can look up all the otpions on your car, and their is a sticker on your car either in the glove box or under the jack panel in the trunk that has all the 3 letter option codes your car has

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #3

thanks for the info, I appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

anytime. hope you love your new car

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

My 02 was a rental car prior to be buying it. I was told to stay away from it at all costs. I sold the car last December with 98,000 miles on it in perfect running condition. Was actually still running the factory battery and factory belt. It did not have cruise control, ABS, traction control, power seats, any options period. The only option the car did have was the automatic transmission which I grew to hate quickly.

But...the dealer should be able to supply you with the build info on your particular car using the VIN...unless they decide it is lost as I have found to happen often.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Yeah I understand why some people would be skeptical about buying a former rental but with such few miles I feel as if I got a steal as the company absorbed quiet a bit of depreciation for such a new car. It does have its nicks here and there but thankfully no dents. I'm ecstatic to hear the car has ABS/TC as it was really a major sacrifice I was going to make purchasing a Mustang in my budget range. As far as Mycolor, I am a little disappointed I am stuck with the green lights as the white backlight looks really great. But all in all I am in love with my Mustang and cant wait for the sun to rise so I can take some pictures and show it off to friends. Thanks again for all the feedback, this seems like a great community to be apart of!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

welcome to the site. Definately share some pics and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. This is a very helpful group of stang owners (guys and gals).

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

sounds like you got a good deal, my 01 I picked up new didnt have any real options, didnt need them lol... nothing that I would really use. Everyone has covered your questions so all I have to say is enjoy the car and get to modding and being part of the mustang community both here and locally with other mustang groups. When you find a good group (usually one registered through the MCA) its extremely fun to participate in.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruss View Post
Yeah I understand why some people would be skeptical about buying a former rental but with such few miles I feel as if I got a steal as the company absorbed quiet a bit of depreciation for such a new car. It does have its nicks here and there but thankfully no dents. I'm ecstatic to hear the car has ABS/TC as it was really a major sacrifice I was going to make purchasing a Mustang in my budget range. As far as Mycolor, I am a little disappointed I am stuck with the green lights as the white backlight looks really great. But all in all I am in love with my Mustang and cant wait for the sun to rise so I can take some pictures and show it off to friends. Thanks again for all the feedback, this seems like a great community to be apart of!
If you are really wanting a different color you can probably buy an aftermarket gauge cluster to get the color you want. I don't believe you'll be able to retrofit a mycolor gauge into there without major modification however.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

MyColor was included with the interior upgrade package. If your dash has the brushed aluminium/charcoal face on it it should be included. If it's the solid black face you're out of luck.
2007 V6 Mustang w/ Pony Package. Performance Mods - 2.25 custom aluminum catback exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, AirRaid cold air intake, drilled and slotted rotor's front and rear, SCT Programmer, Ford Racing Tlok, Motiv 4:10 gears, LFP underdrive pulley
Greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #11

Great posts everyone, Im going to try to get some pics up tomorrow and start taking some suggestions for modding.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
MyColor was included with the interior upgrade package. If your dash has the brushed aluminium/charcoal face on it it should be included. If it's the solid black face you're out of luck.
Yeah based on everyone's feedback I've come to the conclusion that I don't have it :dunno: Oh well, still love it to death tho! Thanks again for the info
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

welcome to the site!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang