shift light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

shift light?

has anyone installed a shift light in there SN95 or newer stang? I want one bad I just don't know how hard it will be to install. Thanks fellas
I have the need for speed! :burnout: 2000 Black GT. Steeda tri ax, Mac cat back, K & N CAI. Diablosport chip, shift light,U/L rear control arms, steeda wing, 3:73 in da rear, no money I have a baby!
chipshot101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
It's not hard, you need 3 wires. You have a power supply, a ground and another to run to your tach finding the wires is the hardest part, or maybe finding a place to mount it.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also buying a tach adaptor, do I really need one?
I have the need for speed! :burnout: 2000 Black GT. Steeda tri ax, Mac cat back, K & N CAI. Diablosport chip, shift light,U/L rear control arms, steeda wing, 3:73 in da rear, no money I have a baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

A tach adapter for what, do you mean a new tach that has a shift light fixed to it?

Old 08-08-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

oh no sorry I mean a Tachready from dallas mustang, says for shift lights,tachs,and rpm switches do you know anything about them?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
why do you want a shiftlight? lol In my opinion if you need a shiftlight then you shouldn't be racin a 5 speed...lol Im not really tryin to offend you but seriously... If I could design my own dash, all I would want is a water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, tranny fluid temp, and volt meter gauge and a tach and speedometer. No idiot lights for me. But if you seriously want to do it the right way, Id get an a-pillar mounted tach with a light on it. You can look in JCWhitney catalogs or go to autometer.com and check it out. Autometer is the way to go for gauges. To install the tach, you have 4 wires. You have a power, ground, a trigger wire (which you tap into a wire that is live when your key is in the on/run position) and a wire which you hook up to your coil under the hood. For your light, run your power and ground to the same wire as you did for your tach and hook up your tach wire from the light to the wire that runs from the tach to the coil.

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

[QUOTE=232SCstang]why do you want a shiftlight? lol In my opinion if you need a shiftlight then you shouldn't be racin a 5 speed[QUOTE]

I totally disagress with this. The whole purpose of a shift light is so your eyes can stay on the road will the light will come on at a certain RPM. If you're into racing, with dyno's and a little experience you can find the optimal point of shifting and when you find it, you can dial that number into your shift light so that you can shift at the same RPM. Without it, shifting becomes mainly a guessing game unless your watching your tach instead of the track. But I do know that more experienced people know when to shift without the aid of a light, but it still becomes a guessing game, just more of an educated one.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
[QUOTE=97Stallion][QUOTE=232SCstang]why do you want a shiftlight? lol In my opinion if you need a shiftlight then you shouldn't be racin a 5 speed
Quote:

I totally disagress with this. The whole purpose of a shift light is so your eyes can stay on the road will the light will come on at a certain RPM. If you're into racing, with dyno's and a little experience you can find the optimal point of shifting and when you find it, you can dial that number into your shift light so that you can shift at the same RPM. Without it, shifting becomes mainly a guessing game unless your watching your tach instead of the track. But I do know that more experienced people know when to shift without the aid of a light, but it still becomes a guessing game, just more of an educated one.
good point!!
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

that's why I got one, It's all hooked up. sweet!!! thanks fellas
Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Honesty The whole tach light think is really goofy. I have seen so many imports with auto tranny's and a Big *** Tack with shift light. That is Rice. If you do not go to the track every weekend shift lights are nothing more than a waste and a Bling Bling Gadget of the ricer kind. Some of these tachs are the size of a damn soccer ball.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon_Lady
I've always been taught that you need to listen to your engine. Be one with your auto... and you'll know when to shift.
All Stock! getting ready for some minor mods: tinting, new bumper and/or bodykit, 3:73 gears, underdrive pullies, tires (they're getting bad) considering new rims. Oh ya- gonna chip it. Thanks for all your suggestions and time answering my questions guys!
Dragon_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I think the lights are a good idea, why trust your ear all the time. I rather crank the tunes! I agree though, Be One with The Vehicle! It's almost Yoda-like!

Ted

2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Silver w/ Black Leather and Mach 460 Automatic
Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots
Sound: Alpine CDA-9835, Infinity Reference Comp.

Power Tour 2005 Here I Come!
Funky4.6VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

LOL.. can't hear the radar detector when the tunes are cranked
All Stock! getting ready for some minor mods: tinting, new bumper and/or bodykit, 3:73 gears, underdrive pullies, tires (they're getting bad) considering new rims. Oh ya- gonna chip it. Thanks for all your suggestions and time answering my questions guys!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Those have lights, too!

Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots

Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta watch the road man.
Lights are a pain to see in the daylight
Old 08-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

for the most part peripheral vision does wonders even in daylight! But i udnerstand what your talkin bout!

Ted

Old 08-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Some of these tachs are the size of a damn soccer ball.
I was in a ricer shop a few months back with a friend to see if they could order performance parts for his 00 3.8 and he was walking around playing a I-4 header like a saxaphone and I walked up to the counter and commented on one of the tachs they had. "excuse me did u know this clock was broken, all the numbers arent in the right order." then we asked him why do all the frontwheel drive cars have spoilers. "they have them for looks" me and my friend look at each other, then tell him "they look stupid" at the same time, needless to say he didnt like us in there
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang