Dom's Theory of Induction - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Dom's Theory of Induction

Dom's Theory of Induction

This is what I have seen out on the streets with different types of induction on different cars. Mainly import cars, but the principle is the same.

The majority of people I see on the street go down to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and buy two generic cold air inductions to replace their facotry intake box. They will cut the pipes up to get the right bends they need and attach them using the rubber pieces and hose clamps provided, just like any cold air intake install.

Now, this is what I've learned is what changes everything. Where the engine sucks air from. A guy at school with a 3000GT had his intake mounted toward the bottom of the engine bay next to his transmission and noticed a 40 miles per gallon drop in his gas tank. When he raised where the filter sat, he picked back up the 40 miles per gallon.

The other thing I have noticed is that ram air works, in some applications. The idea behind ram air is to force the air moving around or over the car into the engine. Depending on the location of the scoop, number and degree of the bends in the tube you can force more air into the engine.

The only draw back to the ram air scoop is the threat of sucking water when it rains and sucking large objects, such as leaves, through the scoop.

This really isn't to much of a theory, it's just what I noticed on the street. The thing I think you should take away from this is to seperate the filter for the air around the engine and make sure it gets plenty of air from the outside.

End rambling.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SquirrelNutz154
Ram air generally shouldn't be done for bigtime HP gains. In most ram air applications, holes are made to drain water and small particles that might be picked up. This also lets the air out. You will see a gain, but not a massive one. But I still think ram air is ridiculously cool, ie the shaker system

Cardomain Site
SquirrelNutz154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
Yeah, all the people that say ram air doesn't work (even the slightest bit) should stick there hand out the window at 60mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Ram air mainly works in theory. Yes it works, but only at HIGH speeds. 60mph is hardly enough speed to be effective for Ram air. There are too many bends in say the Mach 1's design for it to be effective. It has to almost do a 180* at one point and pass through the filter. It does work though like in the 1/4 mile when it's an open track and is approaching 100 mph. At 60mph it does start making a differance though. On older cars with carbs, it worked out great. They usually had soft 90* bend, sometimes a hard 90* bend, that jammed the air right into the carb and into the engine. Also, now this may sound weird, but water is actually very good for engines. Leaves aren't good though, that's why you have an air filter. Don't get me wrong water in large amounts will damage your engine but humid air or even rain creates a cooler intake charge resulting in more horsepower. If you would like more info, you can do research on a water injection system. But basically when you think about it water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen. 2 of the most combustable gases, and when atomized the power of water will be released into your engine, and hopefully to your rear wheels.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
usually when i hear about water injection systems, its used in reference with non-intercooled-forced induction cars, and from what ive read/seen, most guys dont run actual water, theyll run a chemical mixture thats diluted with water, im gonna do some more reading up on it and possibly report back with the results of the search
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
depending what ram air setup your using water and other junk such as leaves are too heavy to even make it up to the engine, unless you drive through ponds or something
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
usually when i hear about water injection systems, its used in reference with non-intercooled-forced induction cars, and from what ive read/seen, most guys dont run actual water, theyll run a chemical mixture thats diluted with water, im gonna do some more reading up on it and possibly report back with the results of the search
It's actual water and it's mixed with alcohol to prevent it from freezing. So it is a chemical mixture i guess you could say, but is not something really inventive. Just some alcohol and water.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

here's a link for you that wanna read more about it.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna try sometime soon and make my own ram air induction. I'm gonna try and make subtle bends and keep it as straight as possible.

The scoop will be the hard part. I'm gonna hate fabricating that. I guess I could use some kind of plastic flex tube for the pipe to the filter.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I personally wouldn't bother with a Ram air setup. You'll never be going fast enough to were you'll really need it. Maybe the track, but figure maybe a .1 drop, .2 tops.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
All the horsepower you get from "ram-air" setups isn't from the ram, it's from colder air temperatures.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, every little bit counts.

It's just something to do to pass the time around here.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SquirrelNutz154
I could help you out with the scoop. Not easy, but I have a little experience with body work, fiberglass, aluminum, etc. If you're gonna do it, talk to me, I can help you with some ideas.

Cardomain Site
SquirrelNutz154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hey, every little bit counts.

It's just something to do to pass the time around here.
Where do you plan on mounting this scoop? And maybe I can make this scoop for ya if need be. It can be out of steel, aluminum or titanium.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang