HP increase - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
HP increase

I was wondering how much horsepower I would gain from a port/polish, and P&N intake, and a 207 cam.... I was planning this for next summer, and it's a nice chunk of change.. just wanna make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for.... or would it be better to save for something else?.... I know I want to get 8.8'' rear end with trak-lok and 3.73 gears. I'll need a chip at the same time as the gears... so that's an additional $400.... maybe this is a two summer project?.. would it be best to get the rear end and gears and chip first? I'll have to get a new chip when the P&P is done... or no? Also, does anyone know of a vehicle that has an 8.8'' rear end with 3.73 gears and trak-lok that'll fit a Mustang?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
old t-bird turbocoupes had 8.8s with 3.73's in them already. What I would do is get the gears and chip now and then when you think you're done you can get the chip burnt one last time. You don't need a new chip after every mod. I would say after gears, a new cam/heads/intake setup, and if you stroke it would be the only N/A mods for a new tune. if you supercharge or use N02, then you definately need a chip.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
how much of increase in HP are we talking?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
how much of increase in HP are we talking?
For which mods?

Old 08-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have dual exhaust... read my post, I said nothing about dual exaust

Old 08-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

D'OH!!! I thought I was posting in a different post. I guess that's what happens when you're a super mods with more than one window open. My bad.....

Old 08-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

that's ok,... just wondering why you were saying I should get dual dual exhaust.. but yeah

Old 08-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Anyways, sorry bout that, but you'd pick up about 30~40 hp with that cam, intakes, and head swap. Possibly more. People claim more, but I wanna see the proof and physically be there when it happens. You'd be around 230hp or so. When it comes to hp, ALWAYS be a critic or skeptical. It's not as easy to come by as most people think.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:48 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

well how much would I be at already? I've got dual exhaust, 2.5'' tubing, Magnapacks, K&N air filter, and CAI on the way.... that's about all for making me fast... , so how much would I be at with the CAI and the dual exhaust?

Old 08-14-2004, 04:49 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'll make it easier, I want to get to be near what the speed of a stock GT is.... so would the P&P heads, with P&N intake, with CAI, duals, 8.8'' rear end w/ 3.73 gears and t-lok, also UD pullies.... would I be pulling close to what a stock GT is? (also shift kit)

Old 08-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I'll make it easier, I want to get to be near what the speed of a stock GT is.... so would the P&P heads, with P&N intake, with CAI, duals, 8.8'' rear end w/ 3.73 gears and t-lok, also UD pullies.... would I be pulling close to what a stock GT is? (also shift kit)
Well I'd say you have about 205hp with is about 165 to the wheels. If you had all that stuff you've listed, I would say you'd be very close to the speed of a GT. You're slightly lighter by about 200lbs so that's in your favor. What's a P&N intake btw?

Old 08-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
with a 99 up and bolt ons along with pp heads/intakes and a nice cam set up you can see 230-250rwhp and tq with a 4.2 ALOT MORE nearly 290rwhp and tq I would say. if you have a automatic..... lower numbers..... Ill let you know as soon as i get my stuff installed may be a bit though
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Well I'd say you have about 205hp with is about 165 to the wheels. If you had all that stuff you've listed, I would say you'd be very close to the speed of a GT. You're slightly lighter by about 200lbs so that's in your favor. What's a P&N intake btw?
I agree with most of the numbers here. with a small cam and stage 2 intakes actually you will be closer to 150 Hp or 190RWHp and stage 3 165-170 or 205 -210 RWHP. Wit the new Big Valve heads from RPM, RGR, EE or any other companies 220-230hp or 190-210 RWHP may be obtained. Once I get my RPM Big Valve heads on I will post my numbers.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:02 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I agree with most of the numbers here. with a small cam and stage 2 intakes actually you will be closer to 150 Hp or 190RWHp and stage 3 165-170 or 205 -210 RWHP. Wit the new Big Valve heads from RPM, RGR, EE or any other companies 220-230hp or 190-210 RWHP may be obtained. Once I get my RPM Big Valve heads on I will post my numbers.
What size valves are you getting? 1.84 intake/1.5 exhaust?

Old 08-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
What size valves are you getting? 1.84 intake/1.5 exhaust?
I believe they are 1.86 / 1.5. I already have them in my garage and I need to get them installed like soon Dammittohell :hammer:
Old 08-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I believe they are 1.86 / 1.5. I already have them in my garage and I need to get them installed like soon Dammittohell :hammer:
yeah you do, is that the only thing you're changing?

Old 08-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

BV Heads/ Harland 1.73 Adj RR's, the new BV lower intake with a mirror polish and my aluminum drive shaft. Thats all BY GOD !!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
BV Heads/ Harland 1.73 Adj RR's, the new BV lower intake with a mirror polish and my aluminum drive shaft. Thats all BY GOD !!!!!
A BV lower intake? How does that work?

Old 08-14-2004, 08:52 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

The BV lower intake is square ported matched to the square ported heads instead of round and the runnner have far more material removed than my stage 3 lower. This will have tremendous flow advantage with the BV heads
Old 08-14-2004, 09:31 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

will this mod, plus 3.73 rear end with the 8.8'' and trac-lok make me able to compete with a GT? Just compete... in the same ball park. Also throw in a shift kit

Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Are you talking about BV heads for 99+ if you are you would need a High Performance cam, Heads and intakes and yes you would compete and even beat a stock GT a stock GT Dyno around 215 RWHP Auto and 230 RWHP manual
Old 08-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The BV lower intake is square ported matched to the square ported heads instead of round and the runnner have far more material removed than my stage 3 lower. This will have tremendous flow advantage with the BV heads
Cool, is Mikael making these for you? And is your lower intake polished as well? If so I'll have to talk to you about that.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

what are BV heads? I was looking at ported heads from RGR, a 207 cam, and the ported intakes... also the 3.73 gears with 8.8'' rear end and trak-lok. I have a CAI on the way... been using half an air silencer for awhile .. got tired of that. I have dual exhaust ON. I'm running 2.5'' pipe. The muffler shop is putting in an h-pipe along with the tips in like 3 weeks... and got the K&N air filter that'll go away with the CAI, sad thing is I paid $12 more for the CAI to get to my house than I did for the K&N, and I can't use the K&N now.... I'll tell you my ultimate goal. My friend has a '89 Trans Am... 5.7 liter v-8... I want to beat him. He says he's going to put a stroker kit on it, but I don't see him with the money for that. He also has a hot gf now, so there goes more of his money.... if I throw the P&P heads, P&P intake, CAI, 207 cam, 3.73 gears, 8.8'' rear end, trak-lok.... maybe a chip, can I beat him? Do I still need a supercharger on there to still lose to him?

Old 08-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
what are BV heads? I was looking at ported heads from RGR, a 207 cam, and the ported intakes... also the 3.73 gears with 8.8'' rear end and trak-lok. I have a CAI on the way... been using half an air silencer for awhile .. got tired of that. I have dual exhaust ON. I'm running 2.5'' pipe. The muffler shop is putting in an h-pipe along with the tips in like 3 weeks... and got the K&N air filter that'll go away with the CAI, sad thing is I paid $12 more for the CAI to get to my house than I did for the K&N, and I can't use the K&N now.... I'll tell you my ultimate goal. My friend has a '89 Trans Am... 5.7 liter v-8... I want to beat him. He says he's going to put a stroker kit on it, but I don't see him with the money for that. He also has a hot gf now, so there goes more of his money.... if I throw the P&P heads, P&P intake, CAI, 207 cam, 3.73 gears, 8.8'' rear end, trak-lok.... maybe a chip, can I beat him? Do I still need a supercharger on there to still lose to him?
BV heads are Bigger Valve heads. They typically flow more and more flow equals more hp. Does your friends trans-am have anything done to it? This would help us get your car up to speed so you can beat him. But by the looks of it, if his car is stock, if you put in a cam, intakes and heads, you'll be able to smoke him.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Cool, is Mikael making these for you? And is your lower intake polished as well? If so I'll have to talk to you about that.
I have had them since Early Feburary that is why I said I need to get them installed
Old 08-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, his car is stock right now.... :'( (that's my crying).... he said he's going to put some Stroker kit on it next summer.... which means F me. It's an auto, and it can't roast me now. it beats me, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't roast me over an open flame, and then put me back on until I'm cajun.... he said this to me one day, try and keep up, as he floored it around a corner, I floored it as well, and I kept right on his *** past 85... he said he wasn't all the way down, very close though, like 1/4 inch away, and I was wondering just how fast his v-8 could be then... that's when I had my air filter and my half finished dual exhaust.... so as of now, it's just a stock v-8 Trans Am Formula (Formula might be a better word to describe it), it's a 1989. It's an automatic... and it's kinda doggie for a v-8 I think anyway. My car feels faster inside, but I know his is. I just don't know why he's so slow. When we dragged before, up to 50-ish range, he only beat me by like 3/4 car length.... which isn't that much really. Not for his engine. I shut down everything, A/C, lights (had them on for some reason, it was daylight), shut down subs and radio... and then we had a go. I guess he said he spun a bit... and slightly missed a gear, as he felt the need to manually shift his car?.... and that's why he didn't roast me. I didn't hear much spin, and my tires even chirped.... ok, tire.. ******** (j/k).. anyway, yeah, we raced like 3 times, and the most he beat me by was a car length.... the least was a nose... I didn't launch, and he didn't either, I don't think. I truely believe at the drag track, near us it's not cement I guess, like a rubbery coating, and he said he spun quite a bit, I could take him. If I had trak-lok.. because I wouldn't spin as much. As soon as he gripped, I'd be F*ed, but yeah.... anyway, yeah

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« vortech | cats »