Ebay cai from Motorsporthouse bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Ebay cai from Motorsporthouse bad

i bought a cai from a ebay company known as Motorsporthouse. i cant get the intake to fit. the hose that is by the throttle body will not fit correctly. the seller is not helping at all. i was wondeirng if anyone has bought sometihng from them. or maybe someone can show me a pic of the CAI setup. or if anyone HERE can help

liveAstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Take a pic of it, and let me see what it looks like

kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the 99 up are different from the pre 99.... you may have got the wrong year type, if so sell it to someone with the right year and buy another, but make sure that is the problem first
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Region: Tennessee
Q) What are the differences between CAI Years?
A) Good Question. The 94-98 CAI?s are identical. However 99+ CAI Systems for V6 Mustangs are different than that of the pre99 CAI?s.

But even in the 99+ years, there were changes to the design of the stock induction system. 99-01 V6 Mustangs have a seperate sensor for temputure, thus incorperating the temputure sensor hole in the MAF to TB tubing. While the 02+, redesigned the MAF itself to incorperate the temputure sensor inthe MAF housing. Thus making the hole for the temp sensor an obsticle to overcome for the 02+'s. If you wish to put a 99+ CAI onto your 02-03, you will need to come up with a way to plug up the hole. Some have gone to an automotive chain store, purchased a rubber grommet to plug up the hole. One person in particular used a bicycle valve cap and silicone to plug up the hole. Quite creative. He has yet to report any problems with this method.

Q) Why are the 99+ CAI?s different than pre 99?s?
A) Because of the Split Port Induction Manifold. All 99+ mustangs have split port manifolds, which changed the position and angle of the throttle body. Thus, making it a differently designed system than pre 99?s.

Q) Can I get a 99+ CAI to work on my pre99?
A) Known problems that you WILL run into if you try to install a 99+ CAI onto a Pre 99 :

-The MAF to TB pipe is not only too short, it's not angled correctly. If you put the TB coupler on all the way, then try to attach your MAF coupler, it WILL NOT REACH.

-If you install the piping first without securing it to the plate, the holes will be off by about 3.5 inches and WILL not align.

-If you install the piping then try to bring it all together with the bolts on the MAF, you WILL pop off a MAF or TB coupler... GUARANTEED!!

- The PVC tubing is located on the opposite side of the CAI on a 99+ than the 94-98's. Your stock PVC tubing will not reach, and will be the wrong diameter. You will need to purcahse a recuder, a 1" hose clamp and extra hose to compensate for the different locations.

-To addapt the overall shortness of the 99+ CAI to a 94-98, you will need to purchase at least 1, 3" ruber coupler to replace the one that is on the MAF (available at hardware stores (ie Home Depot)). This will extend the CAI by a bit, and it will then be possible to connect all the necessary components correctly.

Yes, it's a slight modification, but when you're trying to do this for the first time, it can be frustrating. My advice... buy one that is Year specific. 96-02 CAI's... yeah well, you're taking a chance. The Intake Manifold changed considerably in 1999 from the previous models.

Q) eBay sells CAI?s for 96-02 Mustangs. But didn?t the intake change in 99?
A) Yes, they did change, and eBay, despite my numerous emails, has done nothing to change their ways of misleading consumers when it comes to CAI?s. If you see an auction like this, Email the seller, ask him of the Mass Air Flow Sensor to the Throttle Body tube (the tube that doesn?t have the 4 bolt holes) has a 45 degree or a 90 degree angle. That will tell you which one it is. 90 degree is a 94-98, while a 45 degree bend is a 99+.

However, some companies are listening, and changing their ways. They are realising that the manifolds did change between the 98-99 year, and are becoming more year specific.
Taken from here

Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Nice post Brent...
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Originally Posted by kaper232
Nice post Brent...
Brents taking stuff off of that grand 'ol CAI article that someone made for this site. IT's amazing how much information is in there!

The hose you're asking about is the PCV connection. It is a hose that takes ventilation from the Valve cover, and transfers it to the Induction system.

What I did, was bought a section of hose from autozone (I believe it was 3/8" hose) abotu a foot of it, and replaced the hose. It was still a tight fit, so I clamped off the end as well.

Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang