Finally did the gas pedal mod !!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Finally did the gas pedal mod !!!

After all this time I finally decided to do the Raise the gas pedal mod. It only took 10 minutes and I am amazed at how much better the pedal feels now and the ease of switching the foot from the gas to the brake. I have done so many mods to my car at sometimes great cost and to have this mod take 10 minutes and ZERO money makes me wonder why I did not get off my lazy *** and do this mod 2 years ago.

Parts needed

1 ea 1" phenolic stand off
1 ea hacksaw
1 ea small hose clamp
1 ea nut driver

Cost = I already had everything

I give this mod the official BROTHER COREY SEAL APPROVAL

Old 08-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
I also give this mod the offical 97Stallion seal of approval. I went and actually bought everything. I bought a 1" plastic spacer and a small hose clamp. Use my leatherman to cut the spacer and tada!!! Definately a more firmer pedal and throttle responsive engine. I give this mod 5 stars!!!

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
what exactly do you do?... it just brings the pedal closer to you? I'm not understanding the concept here apparently. why would it make it more responsive? you didn't really change much.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

The pedal flops around loosely on the throttle cable. If you go inside your car and lift up on the gas pedal you will see how much slack is in the cable. By putting a 1" spacer at the end of the cable brings the pedal even with the brake, This mod is a most needed mod for people with 5 speeds and will help them improve there performance shifting and braking. I have an auto and I cannot tell you how many times I have hit the sid of the brake pedal sliding my foot over to the brake. Now that is effortless.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
is there a how to on this?
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

get under the dash, take a flashlight, look up where the gas pedal assembly attaches to the fire wall. while looking, raise the gas pedal you will see the slack in the cable. All you do is install a spacer between the end of the cable and the pedal arm. You have to look at it to understand what is going on!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

another reason for this mod is that with the slack in the cable it is likely that the pedal hits the floor before you achieve WOT. with the slack gone your pedal never hits the floor and you can achieve WOT.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
get under the dash, take a flashlight, look up where the gas pedal assembly attaches to the fire wall. while looking, raise the gas pedal you will see the slack in the cable. All you do is install a spacer between the end of the cable and the pedal arm. You have to look at it to understand what is going on!!!
ahh yes i understand now..
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 08-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

for anyone interested like i was heres a how to on it with pics to help you understand http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm
Old 08-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I was trying to think where I had seen that installation at. As a master mechanic I dont need no stinking "how to" instructions MUHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

J/K that is a decent picture though
Old 08-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I was trying to think where I had seen that installation at. As a master mechanic I dont need no stinking "how to" instructions MUHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

J/K that is a decent picture though
just trying to help people that ARENT super master mechanic people
Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know!!!! it was good that you posted it.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will do this mod sometime this weekend.Looks easy and actually has a huge benefit...WOT! Of subject, but Corey, I really like that photo of you car, it looks great and i love that color.

Ted

2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Silver w/ Black Leather and Mach 460 Automatic
Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots
Sound: Alpine CDA-9835, Infinity Reference Comp.

Power Tour 2005 Here I Come!
Funky4.6VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thanks for the compliment and raising the pedal is a major improvement!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Corey, it is of subject, but do you find that everyone b*itch's about there auto? I love having an auto. I can launch better. It shifts plenty fine with transgo shift kit. I put a shift boot around the ugly shifter and put a new polished aluminum knob on there. It looks just like a manual, and is just a pleasure to drive. don't get me wrong, I love manuals, but I guess I am just an auto guy...... Could be worse!

Ted

Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots

Old 08-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I understand some people's desire to have manual but after 25 years of manuals I am enjoying my auto especially since I installed a interceptor Tranny from PATC
Old 08-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering why/how you had an interceptor tranny but i guess i never wondered enough to post. How much is one of there 4R70W's? I have been wondering just because if and when i procharge, i kinda figure that the stock one might give me problems.

Ted

Old 08-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

The interceptor is good up to 550RWHP I paid something like $1,300 at the time thru a Transmission place who installes them on the Police Cars

Here is their website http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm
Old 08-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #19

This is kinda on topic, kinda off.

I have slack in my clutch petal (2002 V6 Coupe). I have to press it about 1-1.5 inches before I feel anything, and it makes an annoying sound as it vibrates while I am driving.
I looked under the dash for the clutch quadrant (trying to follow instructions I got from 97Stallion) but I could not find it. Do I need to take any panels off or should I be able to see it just by looking up?

Help please.

Jason
akira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira01
This is kinda on topic, kinda off.

I have slack in my clutch petal (2002 V6 Coupe). I have to press it about 1-1.5 inches before I feel anything, and it makes an annoying sound as it vibrates while I am driving.
I looked under the dash for the clutch quadrant (trying to follow instructions I got from 97Stallion) but I could not find it. Do I need to take any panels off or should I be able to see it just by looking up?

Help please.

Jason
Hmm, well maybe this part might be important I guess. But you don't need to take any panels off. You have to get under the dash. Move your drivers seat all the way back and then you should be able get under the dash and be able to see it. The clutch pedal is on the left side and the quadrant is on the right side. If you get under the dash you can't really miss it when you press on it. I can take a pic in a few if you want.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
it lookes like the thing in the center exept plastic

i bought the stuff to raisey gas pedal about six months ago and i still havent done it
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
lol, I've done the gas pedal mod twice.... the first time cheaply.... yes, even cheaper than the $2... I know, it's embarrassing, but I got impatient. I did that with a Bic pen... and it broke... go figure, stupid cheap plastic, then got the nylon spacer at my Local Lowe's, as well as the screw ties, which are in plumbing... and my total was $1.98.... I came home, put the spacer in the vise grips... got out my 5'' switch blade with half serrated blade on it, and just cut it where I needed.... and took it out, popped it on... screwed the screw tie on it.... stabbed myself with the screw driver in the process.... (had to injure myself SOMEHOW)... and I was done. Then drove to the gas station, just to see it work, and I STOMPED the gas pedal, no breakage. I don't think I've ever pushed the pedal that hard, lol... but yeah, it works... feels much better, and I believe there's better throttle response time... but maybe I'm just being stupid and wanting to FEEL a difference out of every mod

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 08-16-2004, 07:06 PM   #23
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
so you were the one that did it w/ a bic pen. I was wondering who that was, lol.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

that was recently, like yesterday, maybe the day before... and Rick said it might work, lol.... I wouldn't have ever thought of it. It did however inspire me to spend the massive $2 to get it done right. I must say, there is a little more room under there if I wanted to raise it some more.... I could get some washers or something... maybe, lol.... I guess I should probably leave it how it is and decide not to. Also, I lost a nylon spacer.. the first one in the package of two. I was trying to force the wire through a small hole, lost my grip, and it went POP somewhere in my car under my dash, lol... hopefully that'll come out sometime (also, it's important that people realize I injured myself, again... this time no blood though

Old 08-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Quote:
As a master mechanic I dont need no stinking "how to" instructions MUHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
But it takes you two years to do it

I used a couple of zip ties.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

I used a screw tie

Old 08-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
But it takes you two years to do it

I used a couple of zip ties.
Damn Kirk I just did not see the need until the other day I had to put on the brakes rather quickly and my foot hit the side of the pedal and I realized it needed to be done.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
The mod is a good mod... But a pain in the *** to do... It was probably one of the most awkward things I have ever done...
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

took me 5 minutes

Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Im old
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm 250 pounds and 6'1''.... very small room

Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Good to hear it helped ya out Corey
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I just did that mod after reading the thread...it's fantastic! even with a shift kit and gas pedal mod and exhaust I still can't roast the tires like it should. I am no stranger to burnouts or donuts but this damn car still won't do it! I goes like hell though, gives a great chirp that kicks my to the side in second but i just like to be able to light em' up on occasion! guess i'll be needing that supercharger after all!

Ted

Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
im very lazy and still havent done it even though i have had the parts for like six months but i think i may just o it tomorrow
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky4.6VERT
I just did that mod after reading the thread...it's fantastic! even with a shift kit and gas pedal mod and exhaust I still can't roast the tires like it should. I am no stranger to burnouts or donuts but this damn car still won't do it! I goes like hell though, gives a great chirp that kicks my to the side in second but i just like to be able to light em' up on occasion! guess i'll be needing that supercharger after all!

Ted
Damn I have a V6 auto and I can roast them till they pop if I wanted to

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang