Junkyard Turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SquirrelNutz154
Junkyard Turbo

Hey guys, I'm not making any promises here or anything, but my friend and I are thinking about custom fabbing a junkyard turbo set-up for the 3.8l mustang. My friend races cars, is an engineer, and has been working on cars all his life. He built his own dragster that he races now. If we were to make a complete, high quality junkyard turbo setup, would anybody want to buy one? Furthermore, how much would you pay for one? It'd include everything needed, except for a custom chip, which you would want to bring your car to a professional chip burner to do. We're looking for a project for the school year, and we're trying to see if this one would make sense.

Cardomain Site
SquirrelNutz154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
that would be SWEET to do, definately something you dont see everyday..i would say for price you should go around 1500-2000 or less, if i had the money id get one but i dont
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
DO IT! I WOULD DEF BE INTERESTED!!!! i went looking for a junkyard turbo yesterday.
'99 Electric Green Cobra, #2517 of 4040 Built on 5/12/99
'00 Lazer Red V6-Gone but not forgotten

Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords Member #4121
Mid -Atlantic Cobra Association Member #207
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am 100% sure we could do it. I talked to my friend today, we ran some numbers, checked on parts availability. Its very feasible. I only want to do it if there's enough interest in it from people who will actually pay for one. And I'm not talking exorbitant prices....just enough to cover the parts and a little extra so I can eventually cover the costs of making one for myself. So anybody who would buy one, give me a price range you would pay, and I'll see what we can do. Of course, saying you would buy one is not a legal contract or anything, just want a ballpark idea.

Cardomain Site
Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I would be interested to say the least... how much boost are we talking here? Enough to blow a stock engine? I was looking at going P&P heads and intake and a cam and all that... shift kit... I believe my dad's going to buy my shift kit for x-mas... he says "I don't get it kid... but I guess". so, if I have to buy forged pistons and crank and all that jazz.... I'd have to pay less. I also must go up to an 8.8'' rear end next summer, with the 3.73 gears... that gets my trak-lok out of the way, and I'm assuming $800 for that... I could see paying $1000 or so for the parts alone... considering I couldn't install it myself. Maybe more, depends. I'd really like to see dyno'd numbers, but I can see how you wouldn't have them. Also, there's no warrenty or anything.... if you blow up our engine, we're out an engine... so you have to take that into account... We also would have to buy a pillar to mount the amount of boost we're getting and etc.. But yes, I am interested. Would you consider making it a twin turbo system? or no?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

im goin to look for a turbo tomorrow at some junkyards, what should i look for? i dont know much about turbos and how am i gonna know if it works?

Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't know too much about turbos, don't try to make yourself a junkyard turbo kit. Guarantee you'll cause more damage than you'll want to have to fix. It's serious work to be doing.
Really, because it would be a junkyard kit and we wouldnt be mass producing, we could do it however weak or strong youd want it to be boostwise. If you want it to work on stock engines, thats fine, if you want it pushing an assload of boost, thats also fine. I also understand that people need to deal with installing this stuff, and thats expensive, but I would need to cover my costs. The parts aren't cheap. Also, I would be willing to include everything you need in one big package. I have connections that could give me good prices on anything, inclduing gauges, etc. I do not include any kind of guarantee, but if i did this thing, and something i made broke, id fix it. If you decided you wanted 20 lbs of boost on a stock engine and you blow the crap out of your engine....thats not my problem.

Cardomain Site
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I didn't say be stupid with the boost pressure. I hear 5 psi is ok on stock, 9 psi is ok, but pushing it, 11 psi is too much without forged parts. Not only that, but there's a limit here when the HP starts becoming too much for the rear end. I would have to price this turbo thing with how much it'll cost to install it, and how much the forged parts are and all that and make sure you get your cut too, that's only fair to you. I would want the pillar gauge cluster, preferably the ones that light up like reverse glow gauges (as I have those, and it'd be nice if the whole thing matched)... but yeah, I also have to save up for some new rims... if I can purchase a set off someone in here, for a good price, it'd help a lot. Someone that's looking to change their style a bit. And then a turbo. But I have that weakass rear end of my car. And that traction control thing instead of trak-lok. Stupid v-6 (don't mean it, I swear).. lol. anyway, I'll talk more about it tomorrow... and then I'll be busy for about 12 days in a row.... yeah, lovely.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I didn't say be stupid with the boost pressure. I hear 5 psi is ok on stock, 9 psi is ok, but pushing it, 11 psi is too much without forged parts. Not only that, but there's a limit here when the HP starts becoming too much for the rear end. I would have to price this turbo thing with how much it'll cost to install it, and how much the forged parts are and all that and make sure you get your cut too, that's only fair to you. I would want the pillar gauge cluster, preferably the ones that light up like reverse glow gauges (as I have those, and it'd be nice if the whole thing matched)... but yeah, I also have to save up for some new rims... if I can purchase a set off someone in here, for a good price, it'd help a lot. Someone that's looking to change their style a bit. And then a turbo. But I have that weakass rear end of my car. And that traction control thing instead of trak-lok. Stupid v-6 (don't mean it, I swear).. lol. anyway, I'll talk more about it tomorrow... and then I'll be busy for about 12 days in a row.... yeah, lovely.
Actually all new mustangs, even GT come with traction control. It's a new feature for the new body style mustangs since 2001 I believe.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Actually all new mustangs, even GT come with traction control. It's a new feature for the new body style mustangs since 2001 I believe.
NO they do NOT abs/tc is an option not standard

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
so your saying they come with traction control and no t-lok even the gt's
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Traction control is an option so is ABS. All GT's have Tlok !!!!Traction control is completely different than Tlok

Tlok is The differential assembly that the Ring and Pinion gear attach to. They are mechanical and cannont be not controlled.

Traction control is a electronic device like ABS brakes. Traction control sensors tell the computer the rear wheels are starting to spinning and applies the rear brakes. it is like the reverse of ABS.

It is designed for Icy road conditions. Most European cars have it.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
I didn't say be stupid with the boost pressure. I hear 5 psi is ok on stock, 9 psi is ok, but pushing it, 11 psi is too much without forged parts.
Yea, because turbo PSI is different that supercharge PSI.

Have fun telling everyone how to relocate stuff.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

so how much could I safely run with stock parts... and what kind of HP is that? then, what can I safely run with forged crank and pistons, and HP?

Old 08-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Traction control is an option so is ABS. All GT's have Tlok !!!!Traction control is completely different than Tlok

Tlok is The differential assembly that the Ring and Pinion gear attach to. They are mechanical and cannont be not controlled.

Traction control is a electronic device like ABS brakes. Traction control sensors tell the computer the rear wheels are starting to spinning and applies the rear brakes. it is like the reverse of ABS.

It is designed for Icy road conditions. Most European cars have it.
i know how a differntials insides are, i just thought he meant they switched to an open differential and put in traction control
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Traction control is not a substitute for Tlok. Traction control is on V6's (Open differentials) Gt's Tlok and Cobra's with Tlok
Old 08-16-2004, 06:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

my fathers got a 02 gt with traction control and t lok. also when the traction control kicks on it doesnt apply the brakes it electronically allters the way the engine runs so that it is nolong producing power to the rear wheels. anyone with traction control will tell ya when the wheels start spinning there is no longere a throttle response, it sounds like your engine is boggin out. the older style of traction control may act that way, though im not sure there is an older style. but it doesnt use the rear brakes, at least i dont believe so. could be wrong.
This is America, where every vote counts, unless it's a vote for a Democrat.
thirstymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

It probably uses both but the brakes do apply. That is direct from Ford Engineering. here is no old style traction control. It is new to American cars and only been out a short while in European cars. This following Paragraph is from the article

Traction control is part of a series of three braking technology developments that began appearing in vehicles in the mid-eighties. (Note: Many German vehicle manufacturers call traction control by its original German name: ASR traction control. ASR stands for "Acceleration Slip Regulation." It's the same technology we're talking about here, but with a fancier name that most Americans have never heard of.) In chronological order, these developments are: anti-lock brakes, aka ABS (1978), traction control (1985), and stability control (1995). All three technologies come from the laboratories of Robert Bosch Company in Germany, and all address the issue of improving contact (traction) between your car's tires and the road.

Traction control works at the opposite end of the scale from ABS -- dealing with acceleration rather than deceleration. Still, since many of the same principles apply to both systems, it might be best to visualize it as sort of ABS in reverse. ABS works by sensing slippage at the wheels during braking, and continually adjusting braking pressure to ensure maximum contact between the tires and the road. You can actually hear the system working (a grinding sound) and feel it (the pedal pulsing).
Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #19
Regular

pm sent squirrel

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

How'd this thread change to talk about traction? Here's the deal. As I've said before, I'm not trying to make much of a profit at all with this turbo deal, but I'm definitely not going to lose money. With that said, the price range for this turbo, everything included, would probably be somewhere between 2 and 3 grand. Everything included to put on the car and be ready to go, minus a chip burning, which we really cant do for you, as its a custom thing. The HP and amounts of boost would depend on what you want, and the price would as well. Anybody who would be willing to pay between 2 and 3 grand, please post that you would....I need to get a better idea as to whether or not this is feasible.

Cardomain Site
Old 08-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

but we can get a pro set up for almost the same price...

Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #22
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
but we can get a pro set up for almost the same price...
Show me were you can get a turbo set up for a v6 mustang for 2-3 grand. You can barely get a Supercahrger for a 3.8 for that price. Remember this comes with everything you will need

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

ahhh, forgot that feature... we'll have to see... it seems almost like the roots blower I read about on here would be almost the same deal $-wise... maybe better gains?.... if they ever finish it

Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

isn't a supercharger better anyway?

Old 08-16-2004, 10:05 PM   #25
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
there is a lot of debate, but from what I have always understood, a s/c is harder on your engine than a turbo.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelNutz154
How'd this thread change to talk about traction? Here's the deal. As I've said before, I'm not trying to make much of a profit at all with this turbo deal, but I'm definitely not going to lose money. With that said, the price range for this turbo, everything included, would probably be somewhere between 2 and 3 grand. Everything included to put on the car and be ready to go, minus a chip burning, which we really cant do for you, as its a custom thing. The HP and amounts of boost would depend on what you want, and the price would as well. Anybody who would be willing to pay between 2 and 3 grand, please post that you would....I need to get a better idea as to whether or not this is feasible.
sounds like a good deal to me, you make it and ill want one

Old 08-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

There are lots of pros and cons to both superchargers and turbochargers. For most, its a matter of preference. As for price, you're not gonna find a better deal...and if you do, tell me where to find it. This kit would not be professionally done in the sense that we are not manufacturing each and every part, but the quality would be professional. My friend that would be doing most of the legwork with getting it together has built turbocharger systems for professional drag racers. Those turbos are ten times more complicated than one for a 3.8L mustang, and he has never had any problems with any of the ones he's made. Most of the parts we use would be brand new, also. I'll keep you guys posted on any further developments.

Cardomain Site
Old 08-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't say I didn't want one... just heard SC were better. Also, how difficult of install are we talking here?... I doubt I trust myself to do it.... plus, I'm assuming there would be sharp tools involved... and I've already hurt myself enough

Old 08-16-2004, 11:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'd have to tell you that for sure after I made the first kit. You never know what problems you'll hit with clearance, etc. Ideally though, it really should not be extremely difficult. If you're fairly handy with a torque wrench, you should be alright. If you are afraid of sharp tools though.....that might be a stretch.

Cardomain Site
Old 08-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to TuxMask-Andy
I've build two v6 turbo kits right here.

You can see my 1st turbo kit here.

http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25262

My 2nd turbo kit im currently building can be seen here

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76529

Note: Turbos will blow away superchargers Nuff said. The only matter of preference is if you want more power or not.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #31
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
nice copy paste andy.

how much have the costs run you for both or either of these?
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to TuxMask-Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
nice copy paste andy.

how much have the costs run you for both or either of these?
Well I no longer sell the whole kit. I just sell the turbo piping. This allows people to budget the kit out themselves. 4dstang my 2nd kit when the extra mile to get good quality brand new stuff for his kit. Just material alone and not labor etc.. he spent a tad over around 2 grand on materials alone. With injectors, pro univer maf, microtuner is an addional 1 grand.

So he spent around 3 grand on materials and fuel parts and tune alone not including labor etc.. But again he went the extra mile to buy a nice spearco i/c, an HKS bov which procharger only includes the cheap 25 dollar bov, a nice new tial wastegate, and nice new turbo etc.. and even 200 dollars on silicone couplers etc. T bolts etc.. While procharger etc.. supply you with the cheap stuff and non T bolts.

Now I personally spent around 2 grand on materials and no fuel stuff on my 1st kit i made.

Now if some of you are lookin for pipes I do make turbo pipes. However you gota contact me for the information. But basically its around 1600-1800 for turbo headers, i/c piping, and exhaust dump. I do sell separately if you wish to make your own. Meaning turbo header pipes are around 600. I sell the pipes only that way its cheaper for shipping for you and me. You can budget ur kit any way you like and still get a sub 3k turbo kit. This also allows me to not have fingers pointed saying my kit is a flaw. Basically I supply the pipes. If the pipes fail I will fix it or refund you. However none of my pipes have ever failed after more then 8 months of testing so far.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Tux - I'd be interested in speaking with you about the power youve gotten out of it. I like your attitude about turbos, cuz youre 100% correct.

For everybody else - I just got to school, and I'm meeting up with my buddy who knows everything about turbos. Tell me how much you will pay and I'll tell you if I will do it. Also let me know what kind of boost youd want out of it and any extras youd want (like gauges, etc)

Cardomain Site
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 PM   #34
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelNutz154
There are lots of pros and cons to both superchargers and turbochargers. For most, its a matter of preference.
Honestly, a turbocharger is better. More complicated than a supercharger, but better. With the right electronics you can tune a turbo from your drivers seat whereas a supercharger, you have to swap the pulley. A supercharger will take power from the engine to run the blower whereas, a turbo uses waste from the engine to make power. The downside to a turbo is more back pressure but, that is a small price to pay for a better boost.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

but I'm running like NO back pressure, and 2.5'' tubing on a 6 anyway... the muffler shop took my exhaust out right by my rear axle, not over... just under ... so NO backpressure, and magnapacks are straight through... I could use some back pressure

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang