Best cam Choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #1

Best cam Choice

What is the best cam to use on a 01 v6 with 3.73 gears & ported and polished heads?
oh1coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
How drivable do you want the car. hell you can get a cam that will shake your car and the fillings out of your teeth. You can get a mild cam with moderate HP gain or you can go balls to the wall but that makes your car a tad uncomfortable. Given that there are many different applications. Do you want a car taylored to the drag strip or for handling and curves. Do you intend to go to the track or just have some fun boulevard blasting at red lights. Also how much money do you intend to spend. You also have to figure in installation cost if you are not a fairly advanced mechanically inclined person. Installing a cam in a 3.8 is not easy if the most you have ever done is change your wipers blades!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Also, what are the plans for your car, do you wanna supercharge it later? Honestly, is it in the future, or just a dream?

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #4

Whoa, easssy guys. I just want a cam thats more effective than the stock one. I dont plan on going forged internals, so spinning the motor over the stock redline would not be very smart. I just want to know who makes the best cam for N/A slightly modified splitport engines, that works best in mid rpm to stock redline, that rules out most long durration cams anyway, right? At this point I have no intention of supercharging.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:00 PM   #5

BTW "97 stallion" what elavation did you run your best 1/8th mile time at? Any new times with the 4.2? Also , danger dude, what times do you run?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would focus on other mods first. then choose the cam that best matches your mods, not the other way around. Just me, though!

Ted

2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Silver w/ Black Leather and Mach 460 Automatic
Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots
Sound: Alpine CDA-9835, Infinity Reference Comp.

Power Tour 2005 Here I Come!
Funky4.6VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:29 AM   #7

Guess know one knows.

BTW, I am porting the heads, In the past have modified a 5.0 that i had running low 8's in the 1/8th, with a stock lower intake that i ported myself, and a mass air meter that i built. I had a 89 vette that i got running low 8's as well. I also rebuilt the 700r4 automatic transmission (myself) , did a AOD- t5 swap in the 92 mustang too. I'm a little beyond the Windshield wiper mod swap hero status.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1coupe

Guess know one knows.

BTW, I am porting the heads, In the past have modified a 5.0 that i had running low 8's in the 1/8th, with a stock lower intake that i ported myself, and a mass air meter that i built. I had a 89 vette that i got running low 8's as well. I also rebuilt the 700r4 automatic transmission (myself) , did a AOD- t5 swap in the 92 mustang too. I'm a little beyond the Windshield wiper mod swap hero status.
I was not trying to offend you in any way. I have no idea what you do or dont know but from the sound of your first post it sounded like you were new to automobiles do to the vagueness of your question. We have young kids all the time asking the very same question.

First off there are no off the shelf cams for the 3.8 motor in our cars. Crane, Isky, Comp Cams and all the rest have decided to turn their backs on the the V6 stang community.

Saying that there are several people in the V6 community that do grind cams for our cars. They have a few tried and true cams that are popular but the best thing for you to do is contact them and discuss with them what you want and they will make a cam specifically for you. Robert Green (RGR), Steve (Extreme Effects) and Mikael (RPM-Mustangs) can be found on this forum. You just might have to wait a little for them to answer your questions, Better to Email them if you want a speedy answer.

Robert at RobertGreenRacingRGRCFM1@yahoo.com
Mikael at RedlinedPerformanceMustangshttp://www.rpm-mustangs.com
Steve at ExtremeEffectshttp://www.extremeeffect.com/38cams.html
MoranaV6Racinghttp://www.moranav6racing.com/cam.html
Tom at SuperSixMotorshttp://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky4.6VERT
I would focus on other mods first. then choose the cam that best matches your mods, not the other way around. Just me, though!

Ted
I think a cam is a good way to start modding your car, it'll make the rest of your mods seem worth while. What ever the year of your car, the cam sucks. With just a cam in 99+ engine or heads and a cam on 94-98 engine, this mod(s) really bring the life out of the engine. With my heads and cam swap in my 97 I picked up 55hp and 54tq to the wheels.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #10

Thanks guys, no offense taken, I am very intrested in knowing how your cars run on the drag strip with your current mods. If you are willing to share? Oh yeah, my car is 01 coupe.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1coupe
Thanks guys, no offense taken, I am very intrested in knowing how your cars run on the drag strip with your current mods. If you are willing to share? Oh yeah, my car is 01 coupe.
15.1 with bolt-ons... for now.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I haven't been back to the track since like 2 years ago, so that was quite a while ago. I'm sure I'd be high 8's, low 9's at least for the 1/8.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have not been to the track in over a year when I had just installed the cam intakes and heads I was not tuned yet and I had clogged cats and I ran a 10.1 in the 8th I had dynoed at 147RWHP 2 days before. I installed a O/R H pipe and was dynoed tuned by SCT at a Team Ford event in Marietta Georgia and was dynoed at 179.8 but have yet to get back to track. I will be on the track Oct 2

I also have some BV heads and Intake to install that should provide an additional 20+ hp above what I currrently have.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ya since my last track time, i installed the 4.2 stroker kit, BV heads, a 224/230, O/R H-Pipe, SPEC clutch, poly-honed upper, tri-ax shifter, and sooned to be installed 60mm TB. I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but ya, I've installed alot since then.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #15

Thanx guys, Im expecting a set of heads in via fedex tomrrow, then the porting begins. Has anyone ever either dyno'ed or done before and after track times with head porting only?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang