single or dual? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
single or dual?

hey everyone quick question... i have a 04 v6 stang no mods except i added a magnaflow muffler. i like the sound.. not too loud and sounds just right(deep). does it make a big diffrence if i go duals or will the straight through single magnaflow muffler work performance wise? it does have more pickup since the muffler swap. i heard a v6 mustang with duals i dont know what kind of mufflers he had but it sounded terrible! thanks!
gforces69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Well with a stock motor and you have no mods really the answer is no. The only difference is the sound. as good as you think it sounds it would sound twice as good with duals. The only real performance increase comes when you add engine mods which requires duals so the engine expells exhaust better to help it breath better.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Just make sure you trash the Y-Pipe
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
thanks for all your help!
gforces69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Good luck with modding your Mustang!!
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaper232
Just make sure you trash the Y-Pipe
I kinda disagree with this. I think it all depends on a few factors.
1. where do you live?
2. How much do you have to spend?

If you live in a Smog-state then cutting the y-pipe is a reasonable idea because buying some high-flo cats will cost a bundle. Nearly $350. For $30 you can get your Y-Pipe cut and get a set of flowmasters and the rest of the dual exhaust manufactured. If you don't live in a smog-state, then ditching the cats is a good idea and replacing them with an O/R H-pipe. Now if money isn't a subject, then more power to ya.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
once you get all the bolt ons you can convert to a bolt on dual exhaust (not as good as true but with just bolt ons its ok) if you want to go farther than just simple bolt ons then buy a dual exhaust kit from a 99 up gt or pre 99 gt depending on if you use the gt rear bumper and then buy an adapter pipe to weld in so you can bolt up the cat back or replace the H pipe (probably not needed though) bolting on the exhaust is recommended so you can remove it easy for access to the tranny and such if you have welded on exhaust (as i do.... ) its a pain if not impossible to get to some areas of the car with out cutting the exhaust off.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

exhaust is overrated... I was running 13's with stock single exhaust
Old 08-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
exhaust is overrated... I was running 13's with stock single exhaust
Damn Monkey you have a car with an engine that can breath through a straw
Old 08-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Damn Monkey you have a car with an engine that can breath through a straw
I hear that!

Old 08-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

that was on the V6 stang. (granted the evo runs 13s stock too, but it is also a 2.5" single exhaust stock)
Old 08-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
speaking of duel exhaust,
I checked at a local muffler shop about getting custom duel exhuast from them and it seems pretty good, but I need to check on something....
I asked him about mandrel bends and he said they don't do that. He also said that they do not increase performance, they are just for looks. Is this true?

btw, a body shop can't just cut a couple of circular slots out of the bumper for the tips (on the v6 bumper) can it.
Thanks,
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF
speaking of duel exhaust,
I checked at a local muffler shop about getting custom duel exhuast from them and it seems pretty good, but I need to check on something....
I asked him about mandrel bends and he said they don't do that. He also said that they do not increase performance, they are just for looks. Is this true?

btw, a body shop can't just cut a couple of circular slots out of the bumper for the tips (on the v6 bumper) can it.
Thanks,
Kyle
No, they do not use madrel when they bend the exhaust. They use a hydraulic press and it forms the tubing that way. As for performance, that's not true either. Dual exhaust works, no matter what the guy tells ya. It works by allowing the exhaust gases from the engine to escape quickly and relatively freely. Now if you have a 4 banger, dual exhaust will most likely hurt you. But if you have a "big block" V6 like we have, with a few mods, the dual exhaust is your friend. And finally, a body shop can cut some slots out for you if you want, but it won't have the finished look like a factory GT has.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, thanks for the info, i have a 2000 v6 5spd...the guy said the mandrel bends dont increase performance, not duel exhaust in general will not increase performance...
thanks,
Kyle

Quote:
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
oh, thanks for the info, i have a 2000 v6 5spd...the guy said the mandrel bends dont increase performance, not duel exhaust in general will not increase performance...
thanks,
Kyle
OK, in that case yes, the mandrel bends are pretty much just for looks. On high power applacations, mandrel bends do come into play, but your V6 most likely will not see that much power. And besides, if mandrel bent tubing can't be found, you can always increase the size of your exhaust tubing.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

i could get his non-mandrel bends with what he called "turbo" mufflers for $210, or his non-mandrels with flowmasters for $310 (installation included), or i could get the mandrel mac cat-back for $323 without installation...any suggestions?

Quote:
Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i could get his non-mandrel bends with what he called "turbo" mufflers for $210, or his non-mandrels with flowmasters for $310 (installation included), or i could get the mandrel mac cat-back for $323 without installation...any suggestions?
If he will give you Dynomax Turbo's or Thrush Turbos it would be a deal or Flowmasters would be fine
Old 08-21-2004, 07:37 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
if you're talking about MAC's new cat back exhaust where it is direct bolt on for stock 3.8's, I think you'd be wasting your money. You can get a dual exhaust 2 ways. I noticed you live in TN, so an O/R H-pipe is outta the question. So you can either get some high flo cats and get a GT take-off cat back exhaust for a nice clean look exhaust system which would run you about $500, or you can get the muffler shop to make one for you for either price. The pros of the high-flo cats system is that you'll have a less restrictive exhaust system, and if any tranny work is in the future, you'll be able to remove the exhaust for ease of access. The down side is the cost. As for the cut and weld exhaust, the pros and cons are almost opposite. The pros are the low cost, you'll still have 4 stock cats for emissions, and you'll have a true dual exhaust system. The cons are that the exhaust will still be somewhat restrictive, and tranny work int he future will be a pain with the exhaust in the way.

Finally, do some research on how mufflers sound. I know a few people that spent 1000's of dollars doing this.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to YellowStang
I just got a 2000 V6 today and the previous owner put duals on it, a friend of mine said it has around 220 hp with the dual exhaust, is that a good estimate or not?
YellowStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #20
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowStang
I just got a 2000 V6 today and the previous owner put duals on it, a friend of mine said it has around 220 hp with the dual exhaust, is that a good estimate or not?
not with just dual exhaust. more like 205 to the crank... maybe.....

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

well with 193 BHP stock adding Dual exhaust will add about 3 to 5 BHP max you are still under 200 BHP. Do not believe any bolt on that will add much more 5 to 7 hp max unless it is a nitrous system a real power adder

Dont believe Manufactures claims about HP increases they are almost always hype. You also cannot add HP numbers up based on those claims to get total HP. Dyno run after Dyno run have proved time and time again that manufactures HP numbers are bogus.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:23 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowStang
Not even close, Corey says about 3-5, but I would give the duals a slightly more. But i guess it comes down to what type of duals they are. DO you have flowsmasters or do you not know? I would say you got almost exactly 200hp and about 220 tq if the duals are any good. That'a bout 6-7 hp and 4-5 tq, but no where near the 27 your friend was saying.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:32 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

With any Chambered Muffler you are going to get no more than 3-5 HP but with Flow thru muflers like Magnaflow, Dynomax or Borla you might see 5-7 HP but 7 is about max.

Now on a V8 10 to 15 is not unheard of but the V6 has a fairly efficient exhaust system to start with.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Poor V6's :-/ We always seem to get the short end of the HP power added with our bolt ons..

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
so with my mods, what kind of BHP am I looking at? (Danger Dude seems pretty good at this...) Magnapacks are VERY flow through... like a straight tube with perferated steel in the center, just like exhaust tube, but yeah, with holes in it, then it's got that sound layering outside that and yadda yadda... basically, true dual exhaust with magnapacks, h-pipe, cold air induction... that's basically it

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:51 PM   #26

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
BHP? im gonna throw my guess at about 200
Old 08-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
but you said about 200 with just flow through duals... I also have the CAI

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #28

That was my guess for you.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

... why would my guess be different? I just want over 200 bhp. I know it's not much, but it's a start. I have 193 stock... at least give me 8 horsepower for $300. I've got like no back pressure, which could be a knock down in low end torque, but the car does feel faster to me overall. I can feel it in the higher ranges... I got a plug for the little rubber hole in my CAI tonight, and plugged that up... 89 cents for a nylon plug .. fits PERFECTLY... had to slightly push out the rubber, very snug fit, but NO leaks, which is what I like to see, and it looks just great... anyway, the sucking noice of the CAI increased when I did that, and I'm starting to like that... I'll turn off my radio and just listen to that sometimes.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #30

actually you have 195 to start you have a 01+ right?? They put in thes IMRCs in the intakes which are little butterflies that open and close to help direct air through the intakes, but anyway the 01 and new motors have 195 i think :pnoid: underdrive pullies seem to dyno around 4-8 horsepower ive been told. so between the duals, and the CAI. add a UDP and you would have atleast 201BHP , but im sure Corey or someone else can clarify this for us
Old 08-26-2004, 10:30 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

so you're saying I only got like 3 HP from dual exhaust AND CAI?... that seems like a pretty crappy deal to me. I've always heard a minimum of 3-5 HP on duals alone, and another 3-5 on CAI... those are non-manufacturer numbers... I do have a 2001. It's cool to know I started out 2 HP closer to the 200 mark. Especially since if I just add up the small numbers, I'm at 201... the larger ones gets me to 205... That's what I was assuming I was at. 210 at the VERY most. I mean, good lord, I'm still getting 29 miles to the gallon ... when I'm not utilizing the 200+ HP that is.... lol. UD pullies should get me another 3-5 HP right? plus low-end torque that I lost with the dual exhaust?

Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
so you're saying I only got like 3 HP from dual exhaust AND CAI?... that seems like a pretty crappy deal to me. I've always heard a minimum of 3-5 HP on duals alone, and another 3-5 on CAI... those are non-manufacturer numbers... I do have a 2001. It's cool to know I started out 2 HP closer to the 200 mark. Especially since if I just add up the small numbers, I'm at 201... the larger ones gets me to 205... That's what I was assuming I was at. 210 at the VERY most. I mean, good lord, I'm still getting 29 miles to the gallon ... when I'm not utilizing the 200+ HP that is.... lol. UD pullies should get me another 3-5 HP right? plus low-end torque that I lost with the dual exhaust?
you probably got about 10hp 3 hp is wayy to low
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:00 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

so 205??? ????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang