Got a Stang, Need Some HELP!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Got a Stang, Need Some HELP!!!

Okay, here's the thing. Just got a 97 v6 3.8 Mustang in excellent visual condition and very good mechanical. Barebones car, but still ALOT of fun! Thing is that my tachometer works on and off... till now anyway. Earlier I had the water pump replaced and stuff and on the way home I was getting on the Interstate but slipped to 4th instead of 2nd. Please hold the riddicule, I'd been driving a POS truck and had to get reaquainted with the stang. Anyway, before put into a lower gear I let off the clutch a little, gased it, put it back down, repeated. However the second time the tachometer turned on and OVER. So now it's stuck and if I rev it up high enough and go backwards a little, but I still can't get it over to the other side.

So, it used to work and it flips on and off, and from that I'm guessing (and hoping) that the problem is in the dash where something came loose. Would be great if I could get it to stay on and also put it back on the proper side of the meter. Any help is appreciated and I don't know much about cars so pictures and DETAILED help is GREATLY appreciated.

Also, I want to make some noise but I'm strapped for cash. Don't want true dual, Cat-back (think that's what it's called) is fine. People keep pointing me to flow masters 3 necessities.

1. Loud
2. Cheap
3. Legal

I'm not really cheap or anything, it's just that school's back in and I no longer have a way to get money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS
Also, how hard is it to install my own exaust? Well, more specifically, remove the old one.

Just remebered this too... head light looks like it has mud in it, what's the best way to clean it? (Not literally) To be more specific, what with and what helps to keep it that way.
HaroldMGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

MAC company makes a muffler they call it "flowpath" it's supposed to be a bolt on if you want to hear the sound clik on this link then click on the left side for single exhaust on the MAC it used the factory pipe...

BP
Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

OUPS I Forgot the link: http://www.mustangexhaust.com/3.8sounds.htm
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
My suggestion about the tach would be to remove the instrument cluster and disconnect then reconnect your cars computer from the back. Should just be a plug. Pick up a Chilton's Manual. Tons of useful, illustrated info for you to look at, including how to remove the instrument cluster.

Again, that is only my suggestion. I've never owned a manual, and don't remember how my 97 worked behind the cluster. I just know that that will reset my gauges on my 99.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the exhaust link.

About the cluster, my milage and other things won't be "tampered" with if I take it out, right?
HaroldMGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldMGray

About the cluster, my milage and other things won't be "tampered" with if I take it out, right?
Hey, well you live in SC and so do I. I have my old true dual exhaust if you wanna buy it cheap. I live in Sumter just so you know. All you'll need is to buy some mufflers and it'll work just fine. And finally I just checked and it's 90 miles to my place. But if you need some mechaical advise let me know and I'll help ya out. Welcome to the boards.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldMGray

shouldn't be, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Like I said, I don't remember how my 97 worked back there. I know it had the actual odometer that rolls over, unlike my 99 that has the electronic odometer. I wouldn't think it would mess with that stuff. I thought somebody else would have popped in by now though.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang