How much boost? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
How much boost?

I know this has probably been posted before but I was wondering what is the max amount of boost you want to put on a 98 3.8 with stock internals? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: How much boost?

A million bajillion.

Seriously though, you don't really want to go much over 8 with a good tune. You can go 10-11, but you need to make sure the tune is really good.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If it was only that easy , I have been trying to decided if I should build the six or drop in a v8, I found a gt motor for 500 or a cobra motor for around 650 and both are in good running order just wondering how much it would cost to drop it in.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I haven't done the work to look into all that it takes, but, the cobra swap, depending on year, would get you to where you'll be with the super/turbo charger...but you would just be starting instead of being at the upper limit of the stock V6....but with the stock 6 and boost you will probably come out a little cheaper.

If you are going to build a V6 with all forged and what not, and do boost, the cost will probably come out about the same as will the power depending on how high you went with your boost....
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

the less painful solution in swapping a v6 car to a v8, would be to locate a donor car with the correct CPU, wiring harness, drivetrain and fuel componants Here'a a small article about a swap V6 to V8 Ford Engine

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

i say do the swap
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

9-11 but I would do intercoolers. With a single turbo at around 7 psi you will trump a supercharger though so think about that
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you are doing a 5.0 then buy a regular mustang 5.0L and build it and drop it in, no need to go with a cobra 5.0L when you will be replacing the parts that make it a cobra motor for better ones if you build it.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to wh!te_stang Send a message via Yahoo to wh!te_stang

I'd say go with the turbo it'll be cheaper and alot less of a headache
wh!te_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
9-11 but I would do intercoolers. With a single turbo at around 7 psi you will trump a supercharger though so think about that
what do you mean you will trump a supercharger? and would it be possible to just drop a carb. v-8 into a previous v6 without having to deal with all the CPU, wire harnesses, and fuel components?
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
what do you mean you will trump a supercharger?
Its simple, turbos make more power than superchargers... no way around it... just the way physics works. You will make far more power with a turbo than a
blower. It will take a centrifugal (procharger like) blower about 11 psi to get you to 300rwhp when a single turbo can do that on 7~

It will be simple and cheaper to drop a carb v8 into a car and get it running but you also have to deal with the older tech, tunning issues of the carb and such... FI is better all around for a DD.... but costs more.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i was looking at engines for my 66 and the carb. 351 windsor where like at least $2,000 dollars cheaper than FI. i was thinking about putting a 302 4bbl carb. in my 01 because i dont want to deal with the donor car wire harness, cpu, and fuel components.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
yeah i was looking at engines for my 66 and the carb. 351 windsor where like at least $2,000 dollars cheaper than FI. i was thinking about putting a 302 4bbl carb. in my 01 because i dont want to deal with the donor car wire harness, cpu, and fuel components.
Technically that is illegal emissions wise, but if you have to get emissions/inspection and know someone to pass it you'll be fine.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about the 5.0 I was wanting to put a 4.6 cobra engine in it. I really don't know what I am going to do bc I might be heading to irag in may or june so I might just wait until I get back to do smn to my car, but thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

With all do respect why in the hell would you want to go carb? Too many problems in my opinion being a former 68' firebird owner with a built 327 chevy. I went through 3 carbs before I found the right combo and I still had to constantly adjust and change jets...just too much pain in the *** for what a few hp? Do the Turbo/Supercharger route and you won't have to change a thing once your tune and fuel system is set. Plus its gonna be a lot more reliable and still maintain the elusiveness of a V6 car. It would be more rewarding to have the V6 take a lot of the V8 guys and have good reliablility and genuine aspects of what the car could do with a little more help than what the factory gave it. The market is endless for parts and tuners so go for the gold and make the V6 purrrrrrrrrr with a nice boost upgrade.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I prob wouldn't go card anyways, and i agree with you about it being nice for the v6's to take some of the v8's............but a v6 can come nowhere close to sounding as good as a v8. I would rather have a v8 that just sounds good then have a v6 that was tc/sc. And like purevenom said if I tc/sc the 6 then I would end up having around the same hp as a base cobra engine.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i feel the same way. The GT's just sound so amazing compared to the v6 especially if you have the right set up on the GT. And i dont want to dump 6K in my v6 to be at base with a cobra. dont get me wrong i love my v6 and it looks hot but i just want something under the hood that i can build off of and get more HP out of it and end up as a stock v8.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently none of you guys have heard a well built V6. Screw getting a motor for sound - that is a ricer mentality. Make power and call it good.

As for the original question, it's not about the amount of boost, it's about the power level and tune. Typical answer is 350 hpis average safe top range for stock bottom end. A GREAT tune, you can do 400 plus on a stock bottom end. But I won't trust just anyone to pull off a tune like that.

If you really want a V8, sell your car and buy one. Less hassle, less money and a lot less time wasted. For all the time and wasted money of a motor swap, you can build your V6 to be just as powerful.
2000 Roush #5004 M112'd V6
1970 Mach 1 351W 5 speed swap
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
LilRoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

what are you running in the picture? M112?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, ported M112.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRoush View Post
Apparently none of you guys have heard a well built V6. Screw getting a motor for sound - that is a ricer mentality. Make power and call it good.

As for the original question, it's not about the amount of boost, it's about the power level and tune. Typical answer is 350 hpis average safe top range for stock bottom end. A GREAT tune, you can do 400 plus on a stock bottom end. But I won't trust just anyone to pull off a tune like that.

If you really want a V8, sell your car and buy one. Less hassle, less money and a lot less time wasted. For all the time and wasted money of a motor swap, you can build your V6 to be just as powerful.
the point is: you can build the v6 up to 350-ish hp... and be nearing the top of what the v6 can put out or handle without full rebuild, or you can drop in the v8 and have a higher ceiling. For instance, the GT can handle 450-ish on the stock bottom end. Plus, if you build the bottom end of the GT, you'll have an easier time making more power. There is no replacement for displacement.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

its great to have all these choices, the bottom line is do what you want not what gets you by
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

how much are you making with the M112? and what hood did you put on to get the clearance?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
the point is: you can build the v6 up to 350-ish hp... and be nearing the top of what the v6 can put out or handle without full rebuild, or you can drop in the v8 and have a higher ceiling. For instance, the GT can handle 450-ish on the stock bottom end. Plus, if you build the bottom end of the GT, you'll have an easier time making more power. There is no replacement for displacement.
I already know wasting my time talking tech to you....
But for the cost of the 4.6L swap, you can make more on the V6.
Now if you are building the 4.6L and swapping, you can just as well build the V6 and make just as much power. It's just that simple.
None of these guys looking to V8 swap are going to put down more than what the top V6 motors do. I say that because if someone is asking about the swap, chances are they don't have the nohow or budget to make a 700 + hp engine.

The replacement for displacement is being smart.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
how much are you making with the M112? and what hood did you put on to get the clearance?
My hood is 2 1/2" cowl. My specs are on a lot of the other V6 forums, I won't clutter up this thread.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Now if you are building the 4.6L and swapping, you can just as well build the V6 and make just as much power. It's just that simple.
None of these guys looking to V8 swap are going to put down more than what the top V6 motors do. I say that because if someone is asking about the swap, chances are they don't have the nohow or budget to make a 700 + hp engine.

i understand your point. but for me personally the point of a swap would be to have more potential in the engines capabilities. if you take a v6 and a v8 to there max the v8 wil put out more right? thats just my point. other wise i am in compliance with you as well.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, but how many of those swaps end up going the MAX a v8 can do or even 700 hp or more? Very few. And the ones that do go that far aren't starting threads asking how to do it b/c they already know what it takes.

Most guys dump thousands into a swap that gets them to a stock 260 flywheel hp V8. Such a waste of time and money. Swapping in a stock motor is a waste. Stock V6 block can take over 700 hp. You aren't doing that with a stock V8 block, you'll be starting with an aftermarket block and building from there.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:

dick.

And that isn't necessarily true. It depends to a large degree how expensive the motor you swap in is.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

What part of what I posted isn't true?

Like I said. None of the people asking about a V8 swap are going to be doing 700 + hp motors. So the "limit" of the V6 is beyond what they are going to make anyway. Hense, no point in swapping hassles.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The main point of the swap is insurance, my insurance is going to be 2400 every 6 months on a 98 gt and even more on a cobra. Right now I pay 90 a month on a 98 with a 3.8. So in my boat the swap eventually pays for its self. And that quote is on me not having one single speeding ticket (that i got caught for ) and only one wreck, and the wreck wasnt even my fault.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Just FYI, if you swap to a V8, you have to pay V8 insurance. If you don't tell them you swapped, and they find out - it's called insurance fraud. You go to jail for that.
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

ssssshhhhh dont tell anyone...... :jail: naw just kidding i really didnt even think about that
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
What part of what I posted isn't true?

Like I said. None of the people asking about a V8 swap are going to be doing 700 + hp motors. So the "limit" of the V6 is beyond what they are going to make anyway. Hense, no point in swapping hassles.
Some people may want the challenge of doing the motor swap. Hell, I'm sure you could take a 4 banger and get some serious power out of it too.. but that doesn't mean everyone WANTS to. Some people swap a v10 into the Mustang... why would they do that when the 8 can get them to such power?? ... perhaps because they want bragging rights of saying they have a v10... perhaps for the fun of the swap. You don't KNOW someone's intentions right off the bat. Everyone has to start learning somewhere.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ Or because they want to be able to put down 700 rwhp on 93 pump gas instead of using 116.

However, this has been debated at length in another thread that has been closed due to unsubstantiated "facts" being posted up.

Let's get back to topic of how much boost and get away from why it is such a better idea to swap out all motors to the 3.8L V6 when you want to make real power.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
^^^ Or because they want to be able to put down 700 rwhp on 93 pump gas instead of using 116.

However, this has been debated at length in another thread that has been closed due to unsubstantiated "facts" being posted up.

Let's get back to topic of how much boost and get away from why it is such a better idea to swap out all motors to the 3.8L V6 when you want to make real power.
sorry Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang