How To Put On Mustang Hood Scoop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How To Put On Mustang Hood Scoop

any of you know how to put a hood scoop in a a v6 2001, hardware i need, measures of the drill holes, etc??
carlosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: hood scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosc View Post
any of you know how to put a hood scoop in a a v6 2001, hardware i need, measures of the drill holes, etc??
for mine, we put tape on each of the three sides where the holes need to be drilled. just as a guess. then we set the scoop in place where the holes needed to be drilled and pressed down on the hood scoop. that left marks/holes in the tape where the holes needed to be drilled. as far as how far it sits back/forward, i just went off a gt. all we used was a drill and ratchet to tighten down the bolts. it looks like you have all the hardware already. well as long as you have the nuts and washers, and possibly some 3m tape.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
for mine, we put tape on each of the three sides where the holes need to be drilled. just as a guess. then we set the scoop in place where the holes needed to be drilled and pressed down on the hood scoop. that left marks/holes in the tape where the holes needed to be drilled. as far as how far it sits back/forward, i just went off a gt. all we used was a drill and ratchet to tighten down the bolts. it looks like you have all the hardware already. well as long as you have the nuts and washers, and possibly some 3m tape.
i dont have any nuts or washers,

whar drill bit i need to use?, i think is 7/16 but no sure

how many holes i need to drill , i think 9 holes ( seven for the nuts / bolts and two for the plastic bits ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I have put on 3 or 4 of them, I have good news for you. You have a 2001 so the hood is pre marked for the scoop.

You will need:
Cardboard big enough to fit the scoop on in one piece

A dremel or something to cut off the plastic guides and smooth them out so they wont cause the scoop to sit up off the hood.

A drill with drill bits, the bits you need will be a bit bigger than the bolt, dont be singy, if the hole is not big enough binding will happen and it wont sit flush.

Some painters tape or paper tape

Scissors to cut the template with

The washers and some small bolts

Some lock tite, not needed but I would use it

1. The first thing you need to do is take the hood lining from the underside of your hood off being careful not to mess it up, just easily pop off the push pins. I may say this later on but I will say it now as well. Tape up that scoop, you will end up scratching it while installing it if you do not. Tape it up and save yourself hassle. I scratched one up.. it sucks. Also tape up the paint in the area you are working. You can buy fat rolls of painters tape to make taping up faster.

2. You will notice at the back middle of the underside of your hood two silver circle indentations that are rather close together. If you flip the hood scoop upside down the back two bolts on the back of the hood scoop should line up in the middle of these holes. This is where the back two bolts go. If you have questions you can take a picture and I can confirm what I am talking about.

3. You need to remove the guide pins on the hood scoop. There should be one at the front middle and the back middle. Cut them off (plastic not actual metal bolts, leave all bolts.. the guides are plastic). You can cut them off and smooth them off so they wont keep the scoop from sitting flat. The reason I cut them off as why drill another hole... its not needed. Tape up your scoop to keep it from getting scratched, you would be amazed at how easy it is to scratch it up.

4. You need to make a template with card board. Get a single peice that the entire hood scoop will sit on with a little overlap for taping down. Sit the cardboard on a flat surface. Take the scoop and make sure its nice and flat and the bolts are straight down not crooked. Push them into the card board gently to make indentations. Now push a little harder to pop holes though the card board. Make sure the scoop sits flat on the card board. You may can take out the front of the scoop cover so the scoop sits flat. Its been a while and I cant remember if you can do this when making the template, you may can if you can it will help else you will have to cut an area around this to get the scoop to sit flat. Either way finish up so you have a template with holes in the card board where the scoop will sit and the scoop is flush and the bolts are not binded or crooked, but straight through. You can use a pen to outline the scoop to keep an idea of where its at, mark front and back on it.

5. Drill the back two holes using the position found in the number one above. Use a center punch to make the drill location so the bit wont slide. Like I said make sure you use the correct silver dollar indentations, as I remember those are the only marks that you can see back there. Once you ensure thats right, drill them from the VERY center of the silver dollar indentations. Use a drill bit a little bit bigger to ensure the metal bolts on the scoop from binding up. Test fit and make sure they slide through.

6. Take the template and sit it on the hood after making sure all the holes are punched through fully. Use some nails or something to slide in the back two holes. Tape down the template so its flat. Sit the scoop on the hood and make sure it still lines up with all the holes.

7. Drill the side holes and such test fitting as you go. The angled funny bolts on the front are the WORST of this all. Use a center punch to mark the holes so the drill wont slide, be very careful here... dont let it slide and scratch the paint!

8. Those angle bolts use a little though to see how the scoop will fall down and where the base off those will be. Mark them then remove the scoop and drill.

9. After you drill all the holes test fit the scoop, if it doesn't sit flush the bolts are binding somewhere. You can make the holes a little bigger as needed, you will use a washer and nut so it can be bigger than the bolt hole without issue.

10. The scoop should have some weather stripping around the scoop to keep water out, if not you can add some if you want.

11. Put the scoop on once happy with fitment. Put a washer and nut on it. Go to some home depot or something and get a set of washers and nuts and some thread lock. Put a little thread lock on the threads, not much. Tighten down snug, dont over tighten just nice and snug.

12. Thats it. Put the under hood lining back in. I leave it laying over the engine to catch the dust. When you drill the holes on top of the hood as you about get thought he hood drilling make sure the drill doesn't fall though and puncture something, be ready to catch it.

Can you do me a favor? Take really good detailed pictures of the entire process, the more detailed and good quality the better. Get them to me and I will use them in a how to for the site. I have been meaning to do this for a while but I have not had any good pictures. Take pictures of tools you use and basically everything.

Hit me up with any questions, best to check twice and drill once. This is just how I did it, make sure to take your time and you should be fine, not responsible for accidents lol

so get me the pics and such! its worth some cash to you as we pay for articles, if you help me you can get some cash.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: How To Put On Mustang Hood Scoop

That's the exact write-up I used when mounting mine a few years back. Works everytime.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

anyone know what drill bit size i need to use??
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosc View Post
anyone know what drill bit size i need to use??
What bolts are you going to use? Take whatever that is and use a bit slightly larger to keep from binding...
Our's:
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

^^ yea you can always drill larger not smaller. I made the mistake though of drilling to small and I had to widen them, especially the angled bolts on the front grill part.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
^^ yea you can always drill larger not smaller. I made the mistake though of drilling to small and I had to widen them, especially the angled bolts on the front grill part.
Same here, I spent an extra 30 minutes with the small bit trying to widen the holes instead of just using a larger one to begin with...
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang