8.8" rear help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
8.8" rear help

does anyone know of a model of vehicle that is a direct bolt-on to my v-6 that has the 8.8'' rear end for my car? I want to go 8.8'', but I would prefer to get it from a junkyard, and thus, save me a lot of money... do I have to have a GT? I heard an Explorer rear end might work, thus, if it did, and had the towing package, we're looking at some good gears , like 3.73-4.10's... which would be nice, all along with the 8.8" rear and t-lok.... anyone know?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
gt would be easiest there are prolly others but you might have to change some things to get them to work. hopefully someone who knows more will chime in
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to kaper232 Send a message via Yahoo to kaper232
Didnt you post questions about the 8.8 rear somewhere else on the boards?
kaper232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
he did yesterday
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...ead.php?t=8742
Old 09-02-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaper232
Didnt you post questions about the 8.8 rear somewhere else on the boards?
:drive:
Old 09-02-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Thought so... I will answer the question on this one for ya... I would go with the 8.8 from a GT, from my understanding.. its pretty much a direct bolt up... If anyone has swapped one from another vehicle, I havent heard anything about them doing it...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

explorer, ranger or any other SUV or truck will NOT bolt up. they are leaf spring setup instead of coil sping setup. You would need to make new custom brackets and making the lower control arm.

Getting an 8.8 out of a GT or Lincoln mark VII (I believe it is) will work. Both are direct bolt up. Since you have a 99+, you will need one from a GT from a 99+. The reason is that in 1999, the mustang rear ends went 1.5" wider than pre99 (.75" on each side). A pre99 will bolt up directly however, it will give the "sunken-in" look for your rear wheels and will not look right.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
thank you Monkey, but the Lincoln Mark VII will bolt on to my car?... that would probably be much easier to find in a junkyard than a GT... especially around here. I don't even know where any are that are within two hours of me .... and shipping would KILL, so yeah, it has to be around here somewhere, maybe I can pay them to put it in? Supposedly, it's not that hard to pop in... but we'll have to see... or, anyone wanna help?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 09-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Can you weld?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

welding is not a problem.... however, I do not want it to break... prefer a good fit rather than weld to fit

Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

the lincolns are still the narrower model. Since you have a 99+, you will need the 99+ GT to fit best without wheel spacers.

you can get a pre99 and put wheel spacers on it too, but I do not recommend wheel spacers, but that's my opinion.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #13
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
explorer, ranger or any other SUV or truck will NOT bolt up. they are leaf spring setup instead of coil sping setup. You would need to make new custom brackets and making the lower control arm.

Getting an 8.8 out of a GT or Lincoln mark VII (I believe it is) will work. Both are direct bolt up. Since you have a 99+, you will need one from a GT from a 99+. The reason is that in 1999, the mustang rear ends went 1.5" wider than pre99 (.75" on each side). A pre99 will bolt up directly however, it will give the "sunken-in" look for your rear wheels and will not look right.
He can use his axles out of his 7.5 if he wants to get a pre 99 rear end

I bought a 8.8 out of a fox and reused my axles

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

well I wouldn't want to change the entire axle I don't think. I mean, they shouldn't break, should they?... I don't think I've ever seen an axle break, but then again, this is Iowa... lots of trucks here. I just want something I can take my 7.5'' out and put in the 8.8''. If it has better gears, yay, if it doesn't, oh well. I'll settle for same gears. I was just thinking if I got it out of a truck/SUV with a towing package, the 3.73-4.10's would already be in it... meaning I don't have to purchase them, just the speedo or chip to correct for it... I think I'd prefer the 3.73's though, just so I don't burn it up on the interstate

Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

its ok to change your axles, and if you have an auto 4.10's will be fine you wont prematurely burn out your engine. its pretty easy to swap axles off the rear ends. what you do is pull of the diff covers on the 7.5 then take out the diff pin then rotate your axles till you see the c clip take the clip out the your axle slides right out then you do the same on the pree 99 8.8 then you put your 7.5 axle in put on the c clip then put the diff pin back on then put your cover back on the 8.8 then throw some oil then bolt it up. it be easier if you have an extra set of hands
Old 09-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'll have 3 pairs of hands...

Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'll need kinda in detail instructions.... also, I need to find the damn thing first... which rear axles could I just swap in there?

P.S.- I knew someone would put that quote in their sig

Old 09-02-2004, 11:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i will try to make detailed instuctions but im gonna get under my car so ican write down evry little thing cause i know i will forget some stuff right now but here go's. you will have to take off your rear bakes but that shoulent be tooo hard. take off drive shaft, rewmove all the bolts from the controll arms and you will have the cars frame supported on jack stands. like i said let me get under my car so i can mention every thing
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 AM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I'll need kinda in detail instructions.... also, I need to find the damn thing first... which rear axles could I just swap in there?

P.S.- I knew someone would put that quote in their sig
you use your axles that are in your 7.5

You take those out of your 7.5 and take the ones out of the 8.8 and swap them out

after that its purely bolton

Reddit
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, good deal... this is probably a spring mod now, but I will save it to my computer, study it, and have it down pat before I try it

Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, so I take the 8.8" rear off the 8.8" rear axle, and bolt it onto my 7.5" rear axle?

Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i think i detaled the axel swap pretty good but if you need toknow more just ask.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, I will... now, If I'm just changing the rear, instead of the full rear axle and all that, do I still have to have it off a 99+ GT?... I'd like more options if it's possible, just for the simple fact that it means I'll be able to find one easier... and possibly with my gears in it

Old 09-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #24
Regular

Quote:
ok, so I take the 8.8" rear off the 8.8" rear axle, and bolt it onto my 7.5" rear axle?
I think your looking at this the wrong way.

Here are some pictures of my 8.8 install

This iamge right here:

http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...tid=2880&stc=1

You see at the very end where the wheel bolts up to the axle? Thats what you are taking out

There are two of them one on each side

You take out c-clips insde the pumpkin and they slide right out.

You will then put your axles in it and then bolt the whole houseing over

Reddit
Old 09-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

i dont think you get it yor axle is not the whole rear end your axle id the rod that extends from the diff to the wheels. if you get your differencial off a pre 99 you have to do the axle swap between rear ends. if you get a rear end off a 99+ you just bolt the diff right up without any modifications
Old 09-03-2004, 12:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

damn you brent. i need to type faster
Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

what were you cutting?.... and I didn't see the c-clip. is it right by the differential?... also, would it be a good idea to do the drop the car 1.5'' during this process?... seems like it might save some time over taking some of that apart again to do it.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

lol the c-clips are small and they are inside of here its not that easy to see them
Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

you would be changing that whole thing
Old 09-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, so I would take out my axles, right and left, and the differential of course, after taking off the differential cover, the rims, the other stuff near the wheels, like shocks/struts?... and then the c-clips with the driveshaft and then it'll come on out?, and I just get the 8.8'' complete and set it up on in there and bolt her right in?... this will work? but only if it's a 99+ GT?... not a Ranger, not an F-150, not an Explorer, just possibly the Mark VII?...

Old 09-03-2004, 12:42 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

it could be off any mustang gt from 79-04 if it is off a 99+ you DONT have to swap axles if its off a pre 99 you DO have to swap axles
Old 09-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, if I swap axles, will there be any other side effects, such as my wheels don't stick out as far? That'd blow.... I wouldn't mind them sticking out more, as long as it isn't 5 inches more, but yeah, that wouldn't happen.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM   #33
Regular

Quote:
what were you cutting?.... and I didn't see the c-clip. is it right by the differential?... also, would it be a good idea to do the drop the car 1.5'' during this process?... seems like it might save some time over taking some of that apart again to do it.
The rear had ssm lift bar brackes welded on it and they had to be removed. They are used to get better traction during launch but arent ideal for day to day driving

Reddit
Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #34
Regular

Quote:
ok, if I swap axles, will there be any other side effects, such as my wheels don't stick out as far? That'd blow.... I wouldn't mind them sticking out more, as long as it isn't 5 inches more, but yeah, that wouldn't happen.
The whole point of putting your current axles from your 7.5 int he 8.8 is to avoid that.

No other side effects will be seen.

You do however need a chip to remove your speedlimiter and correct your shifting.

Depending on whether or not you get 4.10's or different gears than 3.27's you will need the chip calibrated to correct your speedo or a speedcal like I used

Reddit
Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #35
Regular

Yes it would be a excellent time to install springs, lower control arms and shocks and struts lol

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang