Installing Gauges... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Installing Gauges...

Alright guys, my gauges came in today. Their the glow ones, so wiring and hiding all of it is included in this. Now ive never installed one of these before, so im gonna turn to you guys. Do you think if im careful enough that I can do it? I mean ive heard of needles sticking and such and im kinda nervous something will go wrong... or should I just take it to a speedshop and have them do it? I was wondering how much im expected to pay?

Thanks for ANY help guys!!

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
do it your self
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

http://v6stangs.com/index.php?page=h...uges/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
ya I just reviewed all that and it dosent really seem that hard... ill probably try it tomorrow.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
i did it. very easy. just make sure u get the parking light wire.

And if anybody has any ideas to keep my damn needles from sticking, I'd appreciate them I've taped them down and it helps for a while.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I installed them, but when I put them in, the lights were unaligned. Then I took the cluster back out and tried to align it all, but its virtually impossible, I cannot move any of the gauges really cause they are all in the exact place they should be on the cluster but the lights dont align...Can anyone please help? I can take a couple pics if youd like.

Thanks.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

pics
Old 09-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ill take the pics when I get back from work, you'll be able to see them better at night.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i put a set in a guys car not to long ago, its really easy just get those two trox bits from the under side of the dash peice that is in front of the gauges and then pop it off and sit it to the side, remove the 4 black torx bits (same size as the front gauge cover thing) and slide the gauges out you can drop the steering wheel to clear the gauges so they come out, then unplug them from teh back. remove the gold torx screws and take off the clear cover, it scratches VERY easy so be careful with it.

if you have the indeglo ones like i have put in before you need to simply slide the gauges over your stock ones get a friend to help you turn the needles so you can slide it over, take yoru time it will clear (you can hold the gauges up to the stick ones and see if the holes are big enough to clear the needles)

once over just put the clear cover back on after you make sure the needls are not binded on the new cover make sure there is a little room between the gauges and the bottom of the needles so they can turn freely.

now take a power wire tester, lights up when you touch a hot wire. you have two choices splice it in to the head light switch or splice it in to the rear defroster, if you have a rear defroster do it...

pull out on the defroster you may have to push in on the sides to get it out but its easy to pop out, once out pull it out enough to get access to the wires behind it, run the power wire for the gauges back behind the hole the rear defroster came out of and up behind that hole and pull the wire out though the hole the rear defroster came out of, so you have the rear defroster and the wires on teh back of it hanging out of the hole along with your power wire and groudn wire hanging out of the hole as well.

find the wire that is ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY hot when the head lights are on, check all the wires there should be only one wire that is hot when the head lights or parking lights are on, there should be on that is hot when the key is turned on and maybe one for when the defroster is on.

splice the wire that is hot ONLY when the parking or head lights are on with the power wire from the gauges. you can do this how ever you wish you can buy splice conectors cheap.

do the same for the ground, there should be a brown or black wrie that is a little bigger or at least the same size as the others, make SURE it does not get any power but checking it with the key on, head lights on, and defroster on (you will have to turn teh car on to get the defroster to work (YOU CANT CRANK THE CAR WITH THE GAUGES OUT DONT TRY) just turn the key to teh On position and that will work.

if you are scared you dont know which is the ground you can ground that wire anywhere just about. its just best to ground it here, i think the ground wire is bigger so it should be easy to find, its one of the only ones that never get hot .... splice it in and thats really it the gauges should work.

i hid the box under the dash on a bolt that was facing up near the inside part by the middle console area~ I just backed the bolt out and slide the metal part from the little box that you can alter the color and what not under the bolt and tqed it down and it stayed fine out of the way, you can mount it anywhere but tape up the back with electrical tape cuz it will shock you if you touch the back side.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok im there, im hooking it up to the headlight switch since I already have the whole thing unscrewed and I know what wire to get into. But my kit has two little wires, (positive and negative) so I cant just put both of those in the brown wire of the headlights, I need to know where I put the positive and where I need to put the negative, I guess usually theres only one power wire and you just lead that into the wire, but I have two, like I explained, and what is "splicing" into the wire? can you give me details on how its done? this is the first time ive ever worked on a car and I just dont wanna **** anything up, I wanna be sure when im doing something, Im doing it right.

Thanks!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

the big brown one is the positive. use a test light.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to Spector V, I did what he told me to and everything worked fine, ive also used up about an hour and a half of his time just asking him questions on how to do it but I FINALLY got it done and they look sweeet! Thank you ALL so much for all the help you guys give to other people, id be screwed if it wasent for you guys, haha.

Take Care!!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 09-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

pics?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

ya man, as soon as I find my camera ill take some.

Rolls are for fat chicks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang