Throttle Cable adjustment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Renegade 800 is unknown around these parts
Throttle Cable adjustment

I removed all my seats and was getting ready to vacuum and install my amplifier wiring when I noticed that my gas pedal was wearing a spot in the carpet. I had my Nephew press the pedal as I watched the throttle body. I notice it did not pull the throttle all the way. There is about a 1/8” gap before it hits the stop. So I would guess when I drive and “Floor it” it is not getting to full throttle. Is there an adjustment for the throttle cable? It’s a 2000 model.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

PureVenom is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Throttle Cable adjustment

Yes there is...I just did this on my 03 as well.

It envolves putting a spacer of some sort on the cable at the pedal.

Mustangworld - 99 - 00 Gas Pedal Adjustment tip

Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a spacer will work for a while but it will stretch the cable eventually. There is a metal plate on the recalled 03/04 cobras that go under the petal. If you can push the petal down and you hear the TB click all the way open your good. But remember past XX throttle the car goes into WOT loop, its not a must have 100% thing to make it go Wide open throttle.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
a spacer will work for a while but it will stretch the cable eventually. There is a metal plate on the recalled 03/04 cobras that go under the petal. If you can push the petal down and you hear the TB click all the way open your good. But remember past XX throttle the car goes into WOT loop, its not a must have 100% thing to make it go Wide open throttle.
It is a must have thing if you want the throttle body to flow its maximum amount of air so that you can truely be full throttle so you can in fact hit your maximum power. Just because the car is in WOT loop does not mean the car is wide open.

My TB did not click to full open...in fact, I have a pic that shows pedal to the floor and the throttle body only about 9/10's open blocking off air flow. Now, with the spacer, the TB clicks full open. If it stretches, then I'll put a bigger spacer in. It's not that big of a deal for anyone that does like to go WOT in their cars.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ThaWill is unknown around these parts

I don't know if it applies, but one of the recalls for that maxima I just bought was a new stop for the gas pedal because if you managed to go beyond 100% WOT it would screw your computer all up. (and the old one allowed the pedal to slip off the side of the stop and go all the way to the floor) So i'd just be careful
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWill View Post
I don't know if it applies, but one of the recalls for that maxima I just bought was a new stop for the gas pedal because if you managed to go beyond 100% WOT it would screw your computer all up. (and the old one allowed the pedal to slip off the side of the stop and go all the way to the floor) So i'd just be careful
No. Fail.

-1 thanks.

As far as the gas pedal, I looked hard at doing the spacer and just never could talk myself into it. I might do it in this car though...

Always heard stories of the cable being stretched out.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey I said I didn't know if it applied! I mostly just meant that the computers sometimes get crazy when you start fooling with stuff. I assume that a 2000 mustang has a computer, and while a direct cable linkage to the TB isn't going to have any effect on it, more airflow does all sorts of weird things. The CAI on my S10 made the CEL come on if I floored it for some unknown reason. An airtemp sensor, the MAF who knows, but it did SOMETHING.

I only mentioned it because having the plate recalled in a cobra and WOT loop sounded a lot about the same problem that the maxima had. Its computer would get STUCK at WOT if you went beyond 100%, which the faulty plate allowed you to do. SORRY MOM JEEZ
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ The difference in the cobra was that the pedal would get stuck on the carpet and get held WOT, not the computer got stuck. Ford's clever carpet cutting abilities put the edge right where the arm travels and it will get hung up.

With my spacer, it will never get hung up because I can't push the pedal far enough to reach the carpet
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ah, I gotcha, it just seemed like a similar enough problem at first that I thought it warranted the comparison, but if its a pretty well known problem and fix just ignore what I said

I try not to compare things like that since all cars are different but SpectorV's first post read almost exactly like the problem I was researching I thought I'd put it out there just in case.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Renegade 800 is unknown around these parts

The metal tang on the TB will prevent it from going beyond full throttle.

So, I fixed it............Before I read the article. WOW Great minds think alike. I fixed it the same as was described in the article. I only did it to fix the WOT problem otherwise I would have left it alone. 1/8” is a lot of throttle left. I’m sure it will help my acceleration at WOT.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

modular2valve is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

i did the mod as well, i enjoyed it

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

spacers will help fix the problem but if you push on the petal hard it will stretch back out, just fyi~ if they knew what they were doing they would have a relief spring on the TB such that WOT happens before its on the floor and the cable still expands but the throttle blade stays 100% open
Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

1234 is unknown around these parts

Where can i get said spacer?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Where can i get said spacer?
I used a wire twist nut...just drilled a hole in the end and removed the metal threads then cut a groove in it to get it over the cable. Worked out well. Otherwise, you should be able to find a nylon spacer at a hardware store I'm sure.

And Spector, if the cable stretches, just but a bigger spacer in. It's not rocket science. Not to mention, the only time it has a chance to stretch is when you are WOT, otherwise it is functioning just as it did when the pedal sat on the floor. So, if you drive at WOT all the time, then sure, stretching might occur sooner. If you don't, then stretch time is limited.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

dalltx is unknown around these parts

well i beleive in getto mechanics i used a peice of wood on the clutch and opens all the way but my gas pedal is loose(throttle cable ) any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the 03/04 cobra have a metal plate due to a recall to keep the gas petal from sticking to the carpet (an issue all mustangs have , at least those with the bullit petal set) so you can get one of these to keep the petal from messing up the carpet, and it will probably hold its adjustment more and not stretch out the petal as fast.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

SaleenFiend is unknown around these parts

I used a piece of heater hose, that a cut a line down the length of it. Put an o-clamp on it. If I push too hard the hose should give me a little room to stretch before the cable does.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
I used a piece of heater hose, that a cut a line down the length of it. Put an o-clamp on it. If I push too hard the hose should give me a little room to stretch before the cable does.
That is what my latest incarnation of this mod is. I have a good bit of hose left over so I just made it work.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Herbstang is unknown around these parts

Did that mod last year made a huge diff

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

RyansQuick6 is unknown around these parts

The actual problem is that the gas pedal arm actually bends over time. When we had that meet at Hooters and my throttle kept sticking, it was because the corner of the pedal wore a hole in the carpet, and when the pedal arm bent it caused the pedal to get stuck in the carpet. It did it to me again last night.

I'm just ordering a new gas pedal assembly and that should fix it, at least until that one wears out and starts to bend again.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Herbstang is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansQuick6 View Post
The actual problem is that the gas pedal arm actually bends over time. When we had that meet at Hooters and my throttle kept sticking, it was because the corner of the pedal wore a hole in the carpet, and when the pedal arm bent it caused the pedal to get stuck in the carpet. It did it to me again last night.

I'm just ordering a new gas pedal assembly and that should fix it, at least until that one wears out and starts to bend again.
I know what you mean !!!!! I've pulled the petal back into postion a few time Nothing like quailty parts

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
I know what you mean !!!!! I've pulled the petal back into postion a few time Nothing like quailty parts
It's job 1 doncha know!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

RyansQuick6 is unknown around these parts

When I order my new one, it will be reinforced before going into the car. Of all things I don't see how it bends, none of the other pedals have that problem, and I think a bending pedal is a concern that should be addressed.

RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang