4.2L buildup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
4.2L buildup

Can we get a discussion going on what exactly a 4.2L buildup is?

I'm under the impression that fundamentally it's swapping the 4.2L crankshaft out of an F150 for the stock 3.8L Crankshaft.

I'm also under the impression that the blocks (3.8L and 4.2L) are the same, as are all the accessories, heads, intakes, etc.

Is the fuel delivery mechanism of the stock 3.8 sufficient, or do you need an upgraded fuel pump, bigger injectors? Do you need the 4.2L fuel rail?

What is the impact on the computer? Is the 3.8 computer the same as the 4.2? Do you need a chip, or is it advised?

Do the connecting rods and pistons need to also be swapped for any reason?
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
For your car the accessories and heads are the same the upper intake wont fit under the stock hood but the lower is the same. Fuel delivery system is the same. The Piston and Rod lengths are different. So when doing a crank swap with a 4.2 in a 3.8 block you will need the proper length rods and pistons for proper deck clearances and the rear main journals are a different size they are smaller and need different bearings. No real impact on the computer but you would want a chip to take full advantages of the swap.

Corey
Old 07-17-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

like corey said. the blocks are the same, but the stroke on the crankshaft is longer so you get .4 more liters. a chip and a dynotune are the best way to make the computer know that youre getting those couple hp and ton of tq. the 99+s and 4.2s use the same returnless fuel system and same 21# injectors. so youre good to go there.

i think i read that the lower intake off an F150 is just slightly different.... its got an extra hole for a vacuum hose or something like that, that you just plug. so basically its the same. the upper is too tall to use and wont fit, so you just reuse your stock one. the heads are the same.

the best way to go about it is to buy a the 4.2 block though. the reason is you will spend $~300 for the crank and pistons and rods (minimum) and then pay someone $1200 to install it all for you. you can get a shop to drop an engine in for $300 if you have it and pay $800 for the shortblock.

pre99s need a lot of work to use a 4.2 with the splitport package. they need the block (see above paragraph because its cheaper, but stock will work), they need a modified fuel rail, larger injectors, prefered larger fuel pump, chip, new TB, new CAI, and some other things. you have to do the split port swap on it while doing the 4.2 swap.

pre99s can also take a 4.2L block and put their stock heads and intakes on it. it will work just fine. you just dont get the 40hp you gain from the split port setup. that way you dont have to mess w/ the fuel rail (still advise new injectors) or the hours upon hours of dyno tuning. just need 1-2hours to tell it about the new stroke.
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 07:56 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

If my motor needs replacing anytime soon I will use a 4.2 shortblock and use my P&P heads, cam nand P&P intakes. Should make nice torque numbers.

Corey
Old 07-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

So a nice setup would be to get a 4.2block, something like SSM's powerpak or whatever EE is going to come out with (heads and cam) P&P the 4.2 lower intake, put a 3.8 split port upper and a dyno tune. Are we looking at 250rwhp here?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:35 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

easily. the stock 4.2 is about 205bhp and then the power pack is about 60rwhp. so about 170+60 = 230. plus all the other bolt-ons and the chip for advanced timing and such. 250rwhp isnt hard to get. the torque is what would be amazing. the stock 4.2s are like 250tq or something like that instead of 225. plus the power pack and such. be up there w/ a new GT
Old 07-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

somewhat off topic, but if a 3.8L is a 232cu in what is a 4.2L?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
About 256
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
What is everything thats needed if your taking your 3.8 block, and makign it 4.2

Crank, rods, pistons..
what else would i need to do.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

look at my above post. youre a pre99 right? you need fuel mods, the crank, the rods, the pistons, the computer reflashed/reporgrammed. new flywheel if its externally balanced. i forget which years are internal and which are externally balanced.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois
Mid 2000 they went from external to internal
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via Yahoo to plstktnkr2
fox body 1983 is a carb model, custom 4 bbl manifold avail from Morana racing and it is a pre '94 no pump change but inline electric fuel pump with a regulator would work
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Local "10-hole Mafia" Don
member of the "Anti-Cowl" club
plstktnkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:31 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I think that if I wanted to stroke a 3.8, not by just getting a 4.2L block, I would get a stroker kit from Morana, he has other sizes available too, 4.0, 4.2, 4.4, and 4.6L I think are his choices, www.moranav6racing.com
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:41 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
http://www.moranav6racing.com/stroker.html
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Morana is where im getting my custom cam ,chain and intake
Old 07-18-2003, 06:43 AM   #16
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Wow..

I never considered stroking to 4.6L!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:43 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

stroking to a 4.6 is very ####### the engine. you would have to remain NA if you went that high. 4.4 is the very most you should stroke if you get a blower, turbo or nitrous.

4.2 is just popular because you can find a F150 at a junkyard and make it cheaper
Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #18
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, I've been thinking of putting another $5k into my V6, as opposed to trading it in for 2 more cylinders..

I want a blower if I do it, so you suggest I not consider the 4.6.. Has anyone done it that you know of?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

4.2 with a blower will do very well it is a good balance between total power and parts breakage. I am considering juicing mine but machine shop said 75-80 shot max unless forged pistons(at $600 a set no less) : I want to humiliate most of the trash can muffler trash around here not going for total strip but it may see some tuning there.

I'm only looking for 300HP thats double what mine was stock
Old 07-18-2003, 02:31 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vert
Well, I've been thinking of putting another $5k into my V6, as opposed to trading it in for 2 more cylinders..

I want a blower if I do it, so you suggest I not consider the 4.6.. Has anyone done it that you know of?
i wouldnt go above 4.2L if you get a blower. personally, you could stick w/ the 3.8 and get forged bottom end (3.8 is the only forged crankshaft) and then run a lot of boost on it.

although SSM's 4.3 block is strong enough to handle like 18psi with a non-forged crank.

basically. dont go above 4.2 if youre gonna get blown or use large nitrous (4.4L 10000% max, i just say 4.2 for safer reasons)
Old 07-22-2003, 11:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
i think i read that the lower intake off an F150 is just slightly different.... its got an extra hole for a vacuum hose or something like that, that you just plug. so basically its the same. the upper is too tall to use and wont fit, so you just reuse your stock one. the heads are the same.

the best way to go about it is to buy a the 4.2 block though. the reason is you will spend $~300 for the crank and pistons and rods (minimum) and then pay someone $1200 to install it all for you. you can get a shop to drop an engine in for $300 if you have it and pay $800 for the shortblock.
so what you're saying is that when you do this swap, all you do is switch your intakes and heads over to the 4.2L block and plug the extra vacuum hole to swap on a 99+ engine?
jefflouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #22

so what ur saying is that if i add

Stroker Kits for Super Coupe consists of- forged pistons, steel rods with ARP bolts, cast steel crank, Moly rings, Clevite bearings, and balancing

those things to my 3.8, i will have a 4.2 liter engine?? how does that change the displacement?? or is a block included in that kit? im confused about this stroking thing morana does... ne 1 care to interject?
]V[ad ])ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:52 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

no. the supercoupe is a 3.8, not a 4.2 so you wont be getting any more displacement.

you need a 4.2 crankshaft from an F150 or an E150 van. it increases displacment by the stroke.

morana gives you eerything you need to stroke your block. gives you the 4.2 crank, rods, pistons, bolts, etc. but you dont get a new block.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #24

so all i have to do is buy that $2000 kit and i can turn my standard 3.8 block into a 4.2? or those pieces are for a 4.2 block. sorry for sounding redundant, just dont wana spend all that money on something i cant use...
Old 07-27-2003, 03:43 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes. but you dont want the one that says "supercoupe" you want the one below it

that is what you would need. you would need some other stuff like gaskets and head bolts and such, but thats the main part of it.

you know you can find a ford f150 short block for like $800 at a junkyard and then just drop that in there for cheaper right?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #26

yeah, i know, ive been following justang's implant very closely. and he seems to have hit alot of problems... id rather spend more money on an easier job than try and drop in an older 4.2, because i dont think id ever be able to do an engine swap. i know i can add parts and take things off. like heads, cams, etc... but i dont want to deal with an entirely new engine. to many problems to wry about, thank you much. so if i got the moranis 4.2 stroker kit (not the super coupe) and an ssm stage II package... id be okay??
Old 07-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes (be warned, pistons and rods are hard to install, and should be done by pro's ... or at least the pistons on the rods needs to be done by a pro. need to be heated up and then inserted and then cooled)
Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #28

monkey i need your advice again. besides all the usual bolt on, and interterms of real performance, should that stroker kit + SSM stage 2 kit + ford chip be the first thing i do?? also whould i be able to supercharge that?? (i know that sounds really newb) i know ur gonna say after you do all this you could buy a GT but i wana do this just to say that i did. i want to be the guy at the track with the V6 that all the V8's are too embarassed to race. if i put like an 8 psi charger on it, and a 75 shot of nitrous would that destroy the car?? all the above mods? all the engine parts wpuld be modified before i ever charge it or add nitrous. what do you think is it possible??? or should i maybe even go turbo so that im not always boosting??? i know its expensive but i could prolly get one fab'ed right? i really want a fast 6. and thats all im gonna shoot for. if this sounds too impossible let me know and i will abandon all hope. but ive always been told to deal with what you've got. if it doesnt work ill just drop in a 302. i might get a hook-up at crate in 2005. let me know, thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 09:00 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually no heating needs to be done I have used liquid nitrogen to freeze the pin and slid it in the rod it goes like butter then wait for it to thaw and Bingo all done hahahahahaaahahahah I have been doing this for a long time before a lot of you were born hahahhahhhahah
Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #30
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Actually no heating needs to be done I have used liquid nitrogen to freeze the pin and slid it in the rod it goes like butter then wait for it to thaw and Bingo all done hahahahahaaahahahah I have been doing this for a long time before a lot of you were born hahahhahhhahah
Dude you need to make a trip down to Huntsville next summer and help me with my rebuild! PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

I will come and do it I will take some time to help you and visit my sister in law at lake Guntersville 8) 8) 8)
Old 08-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #32
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sweet! I will def. let you know when a plan on starting it!!!

I can get SpectorV and Jester2000 to come over as well. I am sure they would like to help

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh no I cannot let anyone but you see my secret MoJo engine building it is a very guarded secret .
Old 09-20-2003, 05:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Justang
ok, here goes:

This is what I did. I bought a 4.2L complete engine from a F-150. You can swap them out directly with your 3.8. it's the same block, just different surroundings. The only things you gotta change are the oil sending unit tube (must use the one frim the 3.8), new pilot bearing, flywheel, and crank balancer (depending on if your current 3.8 is internally or externally balanced). the 4.2L engine have a knock sensor and the 3.8's don't. So on the right side of the block you must change the sensor and put the plug in (plug is on the 3.8). Front cover and all the accessories from your 3.8 are used... along with the complete top end. You must also get the 01 oil pan and oil pickup tube/screen. Oh and you can use the 4.2l or 3.8l dipstick and tube, just besure where 5qts of oil is after you do the swap.

When looking for a new 4.2L engine try to find a 98 4.2L engine that was made halfway through the year. After mid year 98 they went to a one piece main girdle, which is much stronger than the earlier 2 piece main girdle.

This si probably one of the best threads for anybody to read if they want to to a 4.2L swap: http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16229&highlight=4+2l+official

you can also see my posts from my swap. this has all the pics, and problems that I ran into doing my swap: http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42779

265rwhp 280rwtq
Justang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #35
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
stroking to a 4.6 is very ####### the engine. you would have to remain NA if you went that high. 4.4 is the very most you should stroke if you get a blower, turbo or nitrous.

4.2 is just popular because you can find a F150 at a junkyard and make it cheaper
As far as Morana's setups go, that is true.

My machinist JW has a sure fire 4.5 (4.49 to be exact) stroker that is
relatively cheap for a shop to put together, (price will be competitive)
and is good for pwer adder and good RPM. I'ma gonna build one and
then discuss specs, but it will have forged rods and pistons unlike
even Morana's 4.4 stroker, which uses stock forged chr*sler rods
and hyper-GM pistons. Ours will be forged aftermarket rods and pistons.

Morana has a nice setup using commonly available parts,
but using premium parts you can do a good bit better and
even have power-adder capable shortblocks over 4.4 liters.
JW even has a proven formula for over 4.6 liter short
blocks, but they would likely be NA only or race only.
There is a way to get PA capable V6's made of the 4.6 liter range.
You just gotta be willing to play with rod lengths and piston pin heights.

they would be

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang