Cutting Your Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Cutting Your Springs

I am interested in lowering my car and I'm trying to avoid the 250 bucks that comes with it. A friend of mine told me I can take it to a shop to have my stock springs shortened in height by cutting them. I was wondering if this was at all possible, would I sacrifice performance or will it improve, how much should something like this cost, and would you guys recommend it or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
i wouldnt recommend it to be honest, cutting the spring will lower your ride height, but you will have a crappier ride quality, the car will feel more "bouncy"

if i remember correctly, the ford racing C-spring kit will lower the car decently, give a good ride, and costs about 140 bucks
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing, hmmm. What's a C-spring? How much will it lower it? Got a link to where I can find them online? I wanna here more opinions of people who've cut theirs or had someone they know cut their springs? Have any of you heard of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I remember hearing alot of ppl talking about cutting springs a year or two back. Don't know much about it. Maybe someone will get a break from Ivan and post sometime...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What do you mean by: maybe someone will get a break from ivan and post sometime?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
i van the huricane. ask ponycarman he cut his springs and he said it was still a cool ride
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'll put it this way..I'm sitting here hoping I don't see a tree fall on my car...
Our's:
Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Why does everyone here put it in so many ways. Let the cat outta the bag and just spit it out. It's really hard to understand what you really mean when you're typing. Me being Mexican doesn't help...I don't understand the inside joke thing that you guys go on with. If you're gonna say something say it right!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

what inside joke there is a hurricane named ivan going on dont you watch the news. there is no inside joke your just one of the rare dumb mexicans. any ways pm ponycarman he has cut his springs ask him if he likes the ride. or you can just get some eighbachs like i did and have a very good spring and a 1.5 inch drop
Old 09-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

haha i cant spell eibach
Old 09-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Rare dumb Mexicans...calling us that on Mexican Independence Day. If I knew where you lived I'd go over and kick your ***. :fu2:
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

im mexican too stupid i was playing. oh yeah its the independance today VIVA MEXICO CABRONES
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Orale...vale mas guey. So :feedback: greatly appreciated
Old 09-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

how much drop do you waant
Old 09-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I wanna know if my shocks and struts would **** up if I cut my springs to be .75 - 1" lower.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

no
Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

you wont even need cc plates with such little drop
Old 09-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

thats why i say just get c springs
Old 09-16-2004, 01:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. I cut my springs, I have a post about somewhere in this section.

Here's the link:

Dirt cheap lowering

How did it turn out is probably the relevant question. Well, I cut one coil from the front and 1 and a half coils from the rear. Next time I'd probably keep the front the same but cut only 3/4 of a coil from the rear. I occasionally bottom out in the rear now.

It dropped the car about 2" and made it level. I aligned it no problem and I did not need caster/camber plates.

It handles much better than before and I have no problems whatsoever with it. I have put probably 5000 miles on it since the drop.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
the ride is alot stiffer feeling in my 90 with the cut springs than in my 93 without the cut springs.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I decided to find out what was bottoming.

It was the pinion snubber. Right above the nose of the rear axle is a rubber bump stop, close to the rear U joint. What it is designed to do is keep the nose of the axle from rotating too far upward when launching. This snubber is bolted to the body of the car, which is slightly different than my MoPars, which bolt the snubber to the axle housing. Either way they work the same.

After my drop I had maybe a quarter of an inch of clearance between the snubber and the axle snout. This was after dropping the rear close to 2". So I set up a jig in my table saw and cut 1/2" off the nose of the snubber.

I now have about 1 inch of clearance bewteen the snubber and the axle snout.

That ought to take care of any bottoming issues I had except in the most extreme cases.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
cutting the stock springs is a very bad idea... buy fms c springs leave the top front isolator out and cut a full rear coil on the backs you will get a decent drop and it will only cost you 100 bucks if you go any lower than 1.3 (about what you will get at most with teh c springs) you will have to get cc plates to keep the alignment set right.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

cutting the stock springs is a very bad idea... buy fms c springs leave the top front isolator out and cut a full rear coil on the backs you will get a decent drop and it will only cost you 100 bucks if you go any lower than 1.3 (about what you will get at most with teh c springs) you will have to get cc plates to keep the alignment set right.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
First you say cutting the springs is a bad idea then you turn right around and say cut the C springs, so which is it?

Your information is just plain wrong.

Leave the isolator out and your springs will squeak.

I dropped my car 2 inches and I did not need Caster/camber plates.

Regurgitation information supplied by spring makers and the Adverzines that focus on spotlighting advertizers products in thier "features" is a good way to learn how to spend money. It'll teach you nothing about how things work and how to do it yourself.

Where do u think spring makers got thier idea for dropped springs from? Guys like me who took the lead and just did it.

You can listen to Spector and be poor or you can save your money and learn to do things yourself, your choice.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm with you ponycarman. I'm gonna find out how much someone will charge me to cut my springs 1/2 a coil that would be about an inch drop right? I'd like to do it myself but I have absolutely no tools other than pliers and few wrenches. If they charge me more than 30 I will leave them like that. I only want a .75" - 1" drop for now. I'll get real springs, shocks/struts, and cc plates later when I save up enough for them.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

He was saying cut C-springs, not stock springs, that was his whole point
Our's:
Old 09-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I also need to align my car. I ran into a curb with my front driver side wheel and the entire wheel moved back towards the rear. There's a 4 finger width as a gap between the fender towards the headlights and the wheel and only a tight two finger gap between the fender closest to the door and the wheel. I know there's something else wrong with it but I might keep it like that for a while I really wanna drop my car even if its .5''...something is better than nothing.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
He was saying cut C-springs, not stock springs, that was his whole point
So explain why it's ok to cut C springs but not stockers, that is my point.

He can't because he doesn't know what happens when you cut a spring.

One other thing, unrelated to Spector, if your tire moved that far back when you smacked into a curb you bent something, an alignment is not likely to fix it.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

First you say cutting the springs is a bad idea then you turn right around and say cut the C springs, so which is it?

the c springs rear coil is designed to be cut, the stock ones are not designed to be cut, i have seen people cut the stock springs it turns out very very bad.

Your information is just plain wrong.

i dont think so...

Leave the isolator out and your springs will squeak.

I have been with out a top front isolator for nearly 2 years with out a single squeek, not only that i have put springs in for many many others, i think i am at 15 installs right now and on all the C spring installs there have been no top front isolators put back in, all of which have no squeeking issues... you must leave the rear top and rear isolators in and the bottom front however the top front is fine to remove for a little more drop.

I dropped my car 2 inches and I did not need Caster/camber plates.

you are full of crap or you dont simply know any better.... the stock plates cant be adjusted for camber.... only for caster.... so any more than a 1.3 drop you are getting near the edge, i have ran on stock cc plates with a 1.5 drop and my inside's of my tires wore much worse... you can getto rig it up.... but in the end do it right and buy a set of mm cc plates and align it so that the tires wear correctly. even stock alignment specs wear odd some times especially with wide tires.... this can be due to a arm bushings being worn or simply a wide tire there are many factors of course but the only way to keep a cars tires wearing right with a 1.3+ drop is with cc plates to adjust them how they need to be. stock are fine up till a point then they simply cant do any more, if the alignment shop told you your 2 inches of drop aligned fine they are full of crap and just taking your money

Regurgitation information supplied by spring makers and the Adverzines that focus on spotlighting advertizers products in thier "features" is a good way to learn how to spend money. It'll teach you nothing about how things work and how to do it yourself.

what are you talking about?

You can listen to Spector and be poor or you can save your money and learn to do things yourself, your choice.

any one that recommends cutting stock springs does not need to be giving out advise..... the ford c springs are 100 bucks vs 250 for eibach, which dont handle as well in most kits you buy the rate is simply horrible for handleing.... if you are going to buy springs buy H&R race springs 1.5 drop with mm cc plates along with a 650~ or more progessive rate they are a great sping, the C spring is for those who want great handeling *650 front rate 250 rear very comparable to others that cost way more* and only want a 1.2 drop~ and dont want aftermarkt cc plates or issues with speed bumps and other drivability issues.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
So explain why it's ok to cut C springs but not stockers, that is my point.

He can't because he doesn't know what happens when you cut a spring.

One other thing, unrelated to Spector, if your tire moved that far back when you smacked into a curb you bent something, an alignment is not likely to fix it.

Steve
i know exactly what happends when you cut a spring... you change the geometry and the physics behind the way the spring works..... the reason you can cut the rear c springs is due to they are designed to be cut... they have a dead coil that does not alter the springs over all rate, ... this is why you can cut them, do some research....
Old 09-16-2004, 09:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

C springs are not designed to be cut.

The "dead" coil is it's seat, just like the stock springs have.

The stock upper shock mount is adjustable for camber, not caster, you got that backwards.

Shortening the vertical height of the upper strut mount improves the caster.

Of course I doubt you know what caster is, much less why it gets improved.

I suggest you do some research because your posts prove you need it.

Ok, mr. wizard. You come out here and tell me my alignment is all fubar. I've put 5k miles on it and the tires wear even. If my aligbnment was off the tires would be all f'ed up. My alignment guy had no problems aligning it. All with stock plates.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'm hoping if I get these Eibach springs, and then of course the struts/shocks to go with, that the alignment shop will be able to get it all right. I'm not sure how far the drop is on them, kinda taking a gamble

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you go more than 1.3 expect to have alignment issues...

if you want to argue with me some more take it to pm dont clutter up this thread anymore with it.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:00 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Cutting stock springs is a bad idea indeed.. Pro rated springs = variable rate of dampening depending on the amount of suspension travel..
Cut off a coil or two, and you're COMPLETELY changing the careful design and characteristics of the spring, if you're going through the effort of pulling out the spring.. why not just spend the 140 and replace them with also carefully designed springs? It won't take that long to save up $140..
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
I will enter this debate for the purpose of removing some of the disinformation. "C" SPRINGS ARE DESIGNED TO BE CUT !!!!! PERIOD !!!!! Ford designed these springs so they would have the availability of change with one set of springs covering cars from 1979 to 2004. Ford C springs come with directions on cutting the spring and gives specific height numbers with the different configurations.

I also believe that with some experimenting with stock springs you could get a decent drop without changing the geometery or severely harming the ride or handling characteristics of the car. Unfortunately most kids chop the hell out of there springs without a thought about actually driving down the road, all they were concerned is with being cool slamming the car down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang