Used factory Ford 7.5 3.73s & T-loc --- Any Good? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Used factory Ford 7.5 3.73s & T-loc --- Any Good?

I found some used factory Ford 7.5 3.73 gear set and a new factory Ford traction loc for $269, shipping included. Is that good? How reliable are the used gears or does it not matter?

Red, White, and Blue --- The Colors that Hold True

Previous Car: '01 Silver Vert V6 with MAC Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, CAI, 17x9 Chrome Cobra Rs, Billet Grill with Pony Insert

What Ford Needs to make the Next Gen SVT Cobra look like!
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1251...avatar_gmg.jpg
Stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes. gears dont wear out as long as they are properly installed. since theyre from a factory car, theyll be great.

the t-lock is what i would worry about used. those are iffy. since youre getting it new, youre good to go.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks One more question. Do i need the t-loc if i get the gears?

Red, White, and Blue --- The Colors that Hold True

Previous Car: '01 Silver Vert V6 with MAC Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, CAI, 17x9 Chrome Cobra Rs, Billet Grill with Pony Insert

What Ford Needs to make the Next Gen SVT Cobra look like!
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1251...avatar_gmg.jpg
Stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang01
Thanks One more question. Do i need the t-loc if i get the gears?
It is highly recommended that you get both.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Do you need it? No

Will you regret not getting it? Probably

To install the gears, they will have to take apart the rear end. Might as well have them install the T-lok while they are there. Otherwise you may be back in a year to have them put it in and pay for the labor all over again. Labor is half the cost of the upgrade/mod.

Don't forget the Chip to recal your speedo and fix the rev limiter if your a 99+.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
you may regret more than anything else keep your 7.5 rear end. what are you plans for your car? since you're new to the game, what budget and goals do you have?
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:27 AM   #7
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

I spent about $700 on the parts and install for the 7.5" 4.10's etc.. Could have had an 8.8 for that price and installed it myself..

ps. also wish I had gone LongTubes instead of shortys
Old 07-18-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vert
I spent about $700 on the parts and install for the 7.5" 4.10's etc.. Could have had an 8.8 for that price and installed it myself..

ps. also wish I had gone LongTubes instead of shortys
you see, victim number one. sorry man! yeah my almost new rear end was a total of 575$.

i fuggered up on that as well... as in the shorty/longtubes, not the rear end. oh well. 250 partially wasted is better than 600-800 wasted.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
So getting an 8.8 with 3.73's and a T-lok will be cheaper than swaping out gears?

GT's dont use 8.8's do they? Could I steal my dad's rearend out of his 02 GT?
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
So getting an 8.8 with 3.73's and a T-lok will be cheaper than swaping out gears?
all being equal, no.

gears are about 150-170, tlok about the same. a gear swap will run you between 100 and 250. don't just give the job to anyone because it requires a 150 dollar measuring tool to do it properly. measurements of .001" are on the line for a good gear install. sure, it can be done with crude tools but i'm not going to risk that. either way, they still may whine some, and that's not always bad, just harmonic differences or some other part of your rear end not being 100% perfect even though your gears are.

'02 GT 8.8 rear end w/ 3k miles, 3.27:1 gears, stock tlok = 275$ (good deal)

4.10s and intall: 300$ total.

total: 575$

Quote:
GT's dont use 8.8's do they? Could I steal my dad's rearend out of his 02 GT?
yes, you could steal his rear end. 94+ GT's = 8.8's always

or you could rent a 99+ gt, swap the rears, and you wouldn't need wheels spacers because the 99+ rear ends (7.5/8.8) are 1" wider overall.

any other Q's?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Would I need a different Drive shaft?

Will an Axle with ABS pose a problem for my non ABS car?

If I get a GT rearend off on a 94-98, why would I need wheel spacers? Are the axles that much shorter?

From what I understand and past expierence, Axles are "plug and play" parts. Plug everything up right, and you're set to go. Would it be overall cheaper if I just found a GT with T lok and 3.73's, buy the axle, and install?

Would the 8.8 require heavier springs over stock?

I can think of more, but I wouldnt want to overwhelm you
Old 07-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would I need a different Drive shaft?

Will an Axle with ABS pose a problem for my non ABS car?

If I get a GT rearend off on a 94-98, why would I need wheel spacers? Are the axles that much shorter?

From what I understand and past expierence, Axles are "plug and play" parts. Plug everything up right, and you're set to go. Would it be overall cheaper if I just found a GT with T lok and 3.73's, buy the axle, and install?

Would the 8.8 require heavier springs over stock?

I can think of more, but I wouldnt want to overwhelm you
an aluminum driveshaft is recommended if you have 150 extra bucks. however, at this point i'm saving for a supercharger so i am skimping on everything right now. springs aren't required. however, if you are willing to spend about 20 bucks, you can convert your car to quad shocks. that's what i'm doing. i don't have money for good LCA's (lower control arms) and they are a temporary solution. they'll help a little with wheel hop, and since the extra shocks were already on the new rear end, i just need the mounting brackets to attach them to the frame, then i'm set. a good set of LCA's are supposedly a lot better than the stock GT's quad shocks. (and yes they really are an extra set of shocks, smaller though)

ABS doesn't matter if you have it or not for this.

ok, all 94-98 rear ends are interechangeable. all 99+ are interchangeable. you don't need wheel spacers, but 94-98 guys like them because they have shorter axles than 99+'s do.

wow, you're a huge nerd to call axles "plug and play". i'm just messing with you though! yes, they are interchangeable. however, they are all just 28 spline normal axles. you don't need hardened axles yet, we'll talk later if you're to that point.

bring the Q's on, that's why we're here, to help people out.
since i can tell you're online right now...
AIM: AtrusMSTNG
Old 07-18-2003, 11:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

oh, and all 86+ rear ends are technically interchangeable. if you're going to get an 8.8 opt for the 99+, you'll like it better.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:14 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Did Stock 99+ GT axles come stock with 3.27's and TLok? I know my dad has 3.73's on his '02 from the factory.

We'll get into LCA's later on in a different forum, because I have been looking into making my car handle a little better.

Yes, I have been called a nerd most of my life. But Those people who used to call me a nerd, are either now in fast food or construction.. while I'm sitting at my desk, getting paid to design networking systems for their children.

Yes, when I get a different 8.8, I'll be grabbing an Al Driveshaft. I think If I'm going to do something right, save up for a couple more months and do it even better.

BTW, I cant really use chatting programs while at work... the boss doesnt really like it too much
Old 07-18-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
oh, and all 86+ rear ends are technically interchangeable. if you're going to get an 8.8 opt for the 99+, you'll like it better.

he will like a 99+ better?!?!?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did Stock 99+ GT axles come stock with 3.27's and TLok? I know my dad has 3.73's on his '02 from the factory.

We'll get into LCA's later on in a different forum, because I have been looking into making my car handle a little better.

Yes, I have been called a nerd most of my life. But Those people who used to call me a nerd, are either now in fast food or construction.. while I'm sitting at my desk, getting paid to design networking systems for their children.

Yes, when I get a different 8.8, I'll be grabbing an Al Driveshaft. I think If I'm going to do something right, save up for a couple more months and do it even better.

BTW, I cant really use chatting programs while at work... the boss doesnt really like it too much
if your dad has a stock Gt from the factory, it could not have 3.73:1 gearing. get up underneath the back of his car. there are two metal tags attached to the pumpkin of the rear end. one will say "use full synth oil" and the other will say "3L27 88 ####". the first numbers mean 3.27:1, and 88 means 8.8 of course. i'm sorry, but no ford made right now comes with 3.73:1's. cobra '04 has 3.55's i think and mach 1 the same. all GT's have 3.27 and same with all 99+ V6's. your car had 2.73:1's stock.

yes, i agree, try to get that new driveshaft.

oh ok, that's fine about no aol messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang

he will like a 99+ better?!?!?
the wider 99+ rear end i what i was saying. i guess i dont' get your joke.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Perhaps I'm mitaken about my Dads ratio... I'll look when I get a chance. Heck.. I asked my dad and he said that he didnt even know what his ratio was. Thanks for telling me where to look for the ratio tag, now I know a little more about mustangs

I think I'm done with questions for now. Thanks Man
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Perhaps I'm mitaken about my Dads ratio... I'll look when I get a chance. Heck.. I asked my dad and he said that he didnt even know what his ratio was. Thanks for telling me where to look for the ratio tag, now I know a little more about mustangs

I think I'm done with questions for now. Thanks Man
sure no problem, the same was done for me at one point, explaining all this stuff and so on. feel free to hit me up on aol instant messenger (atrusmstng). i'll only give you more advice if you change your woefully wrong avatar text.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:37 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I will never change that until Ken Admits that I'm right!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will never change that until Ken Admits that I'm right!
name one thing except functional side scoops (94-95) that is better about 94-98's.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

They're sexier!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They're sexier!!!
subjective.
try again.

not to mention i could get a 10:1 vote saying the opposite.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Bah!

The phrase in my avatar is subjective to begin with, and you want non subjective arguments for a subjective phrase? Errrr... Nope... they dont exist
Old 07-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

wow, a lot of posts in a short time. V6PowerStang was correct though. rellik, you can use youre dad's GT rear... i just wouldnt advise it for 2 reasons.
1) its 1.5" wider than yours and would make the wheels stick out further
2) i think he would be mad and that is not good. :p

btw, the GTs do have 3.27s, not 3.73s. the only fords that had 3.73s from factory are Rangers and Aerostars, and i wanna say Exploders for some reason, but i need a conformation on that. (ps, aerostars also came w/ 4.10s from the factory too in some years)

any other questions feel free to post or IM me. (svt brandon)
Old 07-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bah!

The phrase in my avatar is subjective to begin with, and you want non subjective arguments for a subjective phrase? Errrr... Nope... they dont exist
submit to the 99+'s authori-tay![/cartman]
y'aint got nutin' (ultimate hick talk)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang