The Roots Blower - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
The Roots Blower

OK, I'm trying to read up on this roots blower off the Thunderbird Supercoupe. I really can't find out much on it. Seems like a really cheap way to get boost. I know roots blowers don't produce high end power, but that's okay. So I have a few questions?

1.) How much PSI does the blower produce? And where does the boost come alive and shut down at?

2.) How complicated of a swap is this? Assuming you're rebuilding the engine and all that?

And someone explain to me how did this guy get a Eaton M90 on his V6. I thought the M90 was for GMs. Or is this the Supercoupe blower? Click.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

thats a supercoupe blower setup.

The supercoupe was singleport, so essentially all's you would need is everythign form the lower intake and up and it will bolt onto your car.

As for boost, it makes it much much lower being a screw design and not a centrifugal.

Only problem is because it makes boost so low your stock bottomend won't last all too long.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i absolutely hate that car, it is the ugliest thing ever. i know every one has their own opinions, but:no:. and the eaton m90 was in the supercoupes, and also in select cougar xr7's. i have talked to people here before about it.. it depends on a few things how easy it is it do. first it isnt really cheap. although the blowe itself can be had cheap, you need new injectors, you need a chip burned for it or a new ecu to deal with the sc, all new piping inside the car all new wiring for most of the engine. unless you have a supercoupe in your drive way its a long process, even if you doo its still and insanely long process. also it depends on your engine single or split port. the intake design for the blower wont match a split port. i think.. it wont match a 99+ which is good for you cuz itll be easier to get it on there. there are many many other things it needs. and about the boost superchargers arent like turbos they are always producing some sort of boost.roots blowers just make their boost fast . which produces more torque/more hp at lower rpm's. i believe they runn full force at arou 2500. not sure though. problem with superchargers is that you no longer have a fuel efficient v6.because the charger is always making boost it wears on the engine more and all that. thats the thing about turbos, they only make boost at full throttle. if your gonne go custom with an m90 my .02 is forget that idea and make a custom t4/t5 turbo set up.you can use all you stock upper and lower intakes, although porting is a good idea. you just need the forged internals, and ported heads would help alot. then from there it would be the same as the m90 youd need all the custom ecu crap. and you would need to do a custom exhaust setup, but if your serious its a much better idea, way more power and a long lasting engine, with an intercooler.and youll retain your gass milage cuz the boost only hitts when you want it and you can set the boost to all different levels, so you can have a 300hp car for the weekend.
This is America, where every vote counts, unless it's a vote for a Democrat.
thirstymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
eewww, he has flowmaster 30 series, i bet that thing sounds like a whole pack of hondas!!!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Actually, for the single port engines, it's quick east swap, but you need alot of stuff. You can do it all in a day though. You need:

- SC lower intake
- SC throttle body and cable
- SC Roots blower
- SC Intercooler piping
- SC Intercooler
- SC Radiator
- SC Accessory brackets
- SC A/C compressor
- SC belt
- SC radiator hoses
- SC intake tubing or custom
- SC fuel rail

I think that's everything, then you'll need a tune for sure. I think this is gonna be in my plans someday soon.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Seems like a real custom way to get some power. I have a 98 so I wouldn't be to hard. I want to rebuild the engine away before I start throwing the power to it.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
You're gonna need to rebuild it and then put the supercharger on to ensure it's set up correctly.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
A good way to go is check ebay or something for some SC rods and pistons, and maybe even a crankshaft.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
on a stock v6 you cant run alot of psi or the internals wont hold it (pistons) so you have to keep the boost lower, but with a roots you will still put down more tq but less hp... you see the roots blower builds boost faster so it has more down low off the line power to a roots blower.

if you get a standard centrifugal SC you can run more psi it wont build boost till higher up in the rpm range this will make more hp but less tq, you will have the same tq as a roots at lower boost just not till higher up in the rpm range along with taking more psi to do it, but your hp will be more so.... unless you build the bottom end to hold the boost i wouldnt mess wiht a roots blower.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
the stock blower with the stock pulley usually run about 11-12 psi

try to get a complete engine, the pistons and rods are forged, and the pistons are dished for 8.2:1 compression, and the crank is forged also
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang