Hey and welcome to the best site ever
Automatics arent bad!
Here is what I would do:
1) Tranny Cooler
2) Shift Kit
3) 3k Stall Convertor
4) Dual Exhaust w/ h pipe longtubes and your choice of muffler
5) Rear end swap for a 8.8 with 4.10 gears
6) Chip from www.americanmotorsport.com
to remove speedlimiter improve shifts and shift points and remove the check engine
light for your off road h pipe
7) Heads/Cam/Intakes combo from RGR on this forum
8) If you still arent happy with that put a 4.2L crank in and enjoy your 300rwhp
Dont forget your suspension as well. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, LCA, Subframe connectors will help you get traction on the track and improve your handeling on the street.
The V6 has potential