need help new owner of mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

need help new owner of mustang

ok so if you read the post from mikemx250 title need help really bad or something like that it will explain that i am now the new owner of his mustang ok so here is the problem. and here is all that has been replaced on the car in the past two weeks.
Problem: mustang runs ok aslong as you are under 900rpm or above 1400 rpm any where in between there the motor is like it wants to rip it self out between the frame rails and become a really older washer machine it vibrates so much that both the drive and passanger door panals have become loose. when it drops below 900 rpm some times it idles like it has a mild cam with a little bit vibration no lopeing tho. no matter what this thing just keeps vibrating for no reason. I have also lost my mph reading for some odd reason it will not read that i am moving i am asuming it is the vehicle speed sensor

replaced items: motor monts, trans monts, plugs,plug wires,upstream o2's or the o2's before the cat's, number 1 and 2 injector they were not fireing properly, the maf has been cleaned thourghly, the throttle body has been replaced,the egr was replaced no change so put orignal back on, the cam sensor, the ignition pick up sensor, i have a crank position sensor that i am going to put on, the pcv, the throttle position, the barometric pressure sensor on top the throttle body.

there is still no change in the condition any and all help is needed i have full access to lifts and all the tools i could need i am employed at two local dealerships so that is no limit there
thank you all
bobby
bmxrr1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Re: need help new owner of mustang

dude make sure your plugs are running from the right coil to the right cylinder. I had installed plugs and wires on my v6 and got one switched with another and mine did the same effing thing.
metalfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #3

the coil is labled 123 465 i have all the wires going to the right plug just still cant figure this dang thing out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

check you balancer to make sure it's not starting to come apart

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #5

i thought that these motors were internally balanced or is it with the crank pully cause that was one of my first thoughts that the harmonic balancer had leaked out some how or something but i couldnt seem to locate one so i came to the conclusion it was internally balanced.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #6

EXTERNALLY BALANCED. When looking at the engine from front of car. Very bottom most pulley is your crank pulley. Behind the pulley itself is your harmonic balancer. If you got the cash I would just buy a new one from steeda with the pulley and water pulley. Free's up a few horses in the process. Reduces the drag on your engine and slows down your accessories so the engine isn't working as hard to get the same outcome.

If your crank pulley is still tight with your balancer check your drive shaft make sure that it is tight as well, and listen for pings, knocks, clangs, and anything like that. You might have an issue with something internal, and have you checked your coil pack? You still, even though you changed your plugs and wires, might be misfiring if your coil pack is trash. MSD, Screamin' Demon, Accel, and Motorcraft are usually the top brands for your coil pack. IF you find yours is junk and have to buy a new one, Screamin' demon is in my opinion the best way to go. BUT you have to buy new wires for it as well. You have to buy their LIVE wires. But it is worth the extra money.

Another area to look is going to be your flywheel. If the person that had the car before you put on an aftermarket flywheel with a weight system, and if one or two of those weights fell off that is going to shake your **** too. you shouldn't have to pull apart your tranny to figure this one out. Lift the car up to where you can look at the bottom of your tranny easily. On the very bottom lip of the tranny there is a peep hole about 2inches long by half and inch high. If you look in there you should see your flywheel. If it is rust colored then you still prolly have your cast iron flywheel. But if it is shiney, they might have upgraded to a billet alum. or steel flywheel. If there where any weights that fell off you should see them lying right there in the bottom of the bell housing.

I'll try to think of some more things you can look at.
metalfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #7

ok i have checked the coil pack and i replaced it it made no change so i returned it if i do get new harmonic balancer i will mostlikely get a used one off a low millage car or something it does sound like a possible thing when i talked with the ford shop forman he said that sometimes the harmonic balancers did come apart and throw off the balance either that or the flywheel some how became unbalanced or a chunk of the clutch is missing or the pressure plate some how got messed up and now throw the bottom end balance off so far many people are pointing to the balance of the bottom end. well thank you for the advice i will check and give a shot then let yall know hopefully one of these fixes it and then i can return an o2 sensor or 2 and make a good chunk of change back.
bobby
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #8

ok i just replaced the harmonic balancer the front crank seal the front timeing chain cover the timeing chain water pump and miscallous other things it is fix i am so happy thank you all for the help ill keep up dating as progress continues
Old 03-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so the balancer fixed it? my engine shakes alittle at about 1000-1400 rpm.. and after i push the gas in neutral it slowly drops to 900 (real slowly). throttle body?
and yesterday my o/d off light started flashing for some reason. anybody knows whats that about?
6opka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Speed senser going out , will cause both , On top of differental thats why you lost MPH reading I have took it out and cleaned it before and it worked
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang